Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: looking to redo my berg torsion chassis ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default looking to redo my berg torsion chassis ??

Ok guys ive searched around a aot the last few days. Im wanting a new chassis for my berg .My current chassis is a dmg dcr Im looking to get away from the tuber and possibly get a JP Havok ,KK ST or T, or just stay sprung with a KK 3.5 , cdw chassis. what is the advatage of a torsion chassis? Im mostly looing for tech on chassis designs like front vs rear torsion and full torsion , ect
flip2spin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

For the zero T
Don't have to worry about shocks leaking. The stand offs are thinner than shocks. You can always cut the chassis down, add shocks and put in some braces.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

but what are the pros and cons of a zero t? is it just to get away from shocks or do they work better by applying more force to a certain wheel?
Old 06-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
WOOPOOW!!

I love my T buddy. Really doesnt have a con from my viewpoint, but im sure more people would go against that because they have broken them. My truck hasnt even come close to breaking yet and ive twisted it up in between 2 rocks and its been strong.
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I have under 4 hours on my Zero-T and am very happy with it so far. I've had it twisted up pretty good and it just comes right back. I like running a little bit lighter weight rig so w/o shocks, springs, cups, etc.,I am already a little bit ahead of the game from the get go.

Too much of a newb with it just yet to give you accurate pro's & con's. Ask me after Cup.....
RC Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
WOOPOOW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Shocker View Post

Too much of a newb with it just yet to give you accurate pro's & con's. Ask me after Cup.....
X2, the cup should be the ultimate test... if krawlerhobbies knows how to built a difficult course. I know mine will get twisted up the faster I have to go to finish
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Old guy

The only one I've seen run is JP's Havok and it looked pretty good. I've heard a lot of good things about KK's STand T , but I'm a spring kind of guy . Boing
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
I'm a spring kind of guy . Boing
I'll see your boing and raise you 4 shock shafts.

I'm not trying to dog on the torsions,some guys swear by them. They do work well in some cases. Some torsions have better tune-ability than others. IMO,the added lightweightness you get from a torsion chassis is a moot point. Typically,guys that run a torsion run more weight in the wheels/on the axle to make the torsion do it's thing. There goes the "lighter rig" theory Less stuff to fool with,I can see that. Not having to worry about leaky shocks is a plus I guess.

I've seen some torsions that are very unpredictable and will flop around like a fish uncontrollably. I'm not saying one or any of them is better or worse than the other in that regard. Just something I noticed watching several torsion rigs run.

I'll stick with my butter smooth shocks,leaks or not.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:30 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

keep the info coming guys I dont want to start a pissing match Im just looking for some good tech on this topic
Old 06-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I am running the JP HAVOC and it was nice but there was too many times when climbing a steep incline and the climb flexed left and right. Therefore the torsion in the front wouldn't flex b/c all the weight was on the rear. So I just shaved a little off the chassis and added 3.5 springs now its perfect for ME. (thats the key word though. . . me) and another guy from the comp was running KK ST and which is the opposite of mine and he had the same problem and added springs. So all in all prob depends on your local comp courses as to what works for you. It would be nice if you could just watch one at your local comp and see how it does GOOD LUCK
M_ENERGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i kind look at like leaf springs vs coil overs in 1/1 its just kinda what works with what you got. I would imagine that a torsion rig would side hill better but not climb as good is that right ?
Old 06-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I think you're on the right track. I have always thought the same thing about torsion vs spring. On the other hand you never see any of the top drivers with torsion. Not saying there isn't. . . so let us know what you decide to get. If you go torsion you can always convert it to spring.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #13
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I am surprised no mentioned this but I would look into the DNA Mantis for the berg. You get the best of both worlds. Sprung or droop in the front with torsion in the rear. You also get an amazing amount of belly clearance that no other chassis listed can offer. Here's a link to the mantis:

http://stores.homestead.com/hstrial-AStrinko1/-strse-Chassis-cln-2.2-comp-cln-MOA-(Berg%2C-Bully%2C-Hot-Racing%2C-etc.)/Categories.bok
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #14
RCC Addict

kk st hands down favorite for me, I have had about everything under the sun for a berg, the geometry for the st is a little hard to get figured out. A lot of people are using straight rods and they should look at the geometry lessons they learned in school and what they are trying to achieve, once you get it set up its really hard to beat. Now keep in mind I cant drive a thirsty horse to water!!
hbj069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:27 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbj069 View Post
kk st hands down favorite for me, I have had about everything under the sun for a berg, the geometry for the st is a little hard to get figured out. A lot of people are using straight rods and they should look at the geometry lessons they learned in school and what they are trying to achieve, once you get it set up its really hard to beat. Now keep in mind I cant drive a thirsty horse to water!!
Thats the thing. I hear about people on here that are extremely happy with there torsion setups. I know I would like to see one crawl that someone had dialed in.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Wow, with all the comedian's round here I'd have figured to have heard.................

" Torsion is nice

But I'd rather Be Sprung "

RC Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

main difference between sprung vs. tortion is how you have to drive it to apply the traction.
that being said, tortion is much more stable on flat angled surfaces. (kinda like a drooper but without the unloading).
in areas where their is alot of opposing surfaces (high articulation and only one end twisting or each end twisting opposite) a sprung rig will work much better.
IF your curious about it get a Zero "T" ....remember everything that KK makes is interchangable so you can always get just a set of 3.5 side plates to go back sprung.
WHat i have set up with my "T" is 4 inch losi crawler shocks set up for droop, fully collapsed they are the correct link length and you can just put a ziptie or string to lock them down for full tortion action.
then when you have a course where the ability to flex a bit more is desired you can just undo them.....plus they will drop out to the point that you have the same breakover ability as running 4 1/2 inches of belly clearance.
jfraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

well after a few weeks of studying i went with a cdw lt2 chassis
i dont think torsion is for me :-( maby after a more people run it and i feel like its more proven