Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: TeamNovak's electronic The Dig Unit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default TeamNovak's electronic The Dig Unit

We have begun shipping our new electronic "The Dig" unit for dual Crawlers:

Quote:
Unlike mechanical dig systems, The Dig does not require any vehicle modifications to install or operate. Simply plug it into any three-channel surface receiver, and you’re ready to dig! And without any moving parts, the electronic Dig is exceptionally durable and can withstand all rocky landscapes.

Plugged into a crawler vehicle’s receiver, The Dig is compatible with any Super Crawler dual-system rig, such as EnRoute’s® Berg™, Integy’s® Super and Unlimited Class of crawlers, and Clod Buster®-based vehicles. Two different-colored LED indicator lights – located at the ends of six-inch harnesses for easy and countless installation possibilities – visibly display when a speed control is locked and ready to dig. The Dig is easily programmed into most three-channel transmitters, such as the Spektrum® DX3R DSM2 3CH Surface Radio™, Airtronics’® M8 and M11 R/C Radios™, and a Traxxas® (TQ-3) Transmitter™.*

Alternatively, The Dig is compatible with crawler rigs with independently controlled steering for effortless navigation.
Here is the Dig link with an additional photo showing the unit with all the plugs, LEDs and wires:

Can You Dig It?

Since I am a new "blue star" member, I'm wondering if there is any interest in a Dig Giveaway?
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
Hateraide

so is it strictly for dual escs or single too?
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
I'm wondering if there is any interest in a Dig Giveaway?
You better believe it.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Hateraide

oh i forgot to answer to that YES please do a giveaway
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code454 View Post
so is it strictly for dual escs or single too?
Strictly dual systems, brush or brushless:

Quote:
This one-of-a-kind unit requires two brushless or brushed systems and a three-channel transmitter to operate.

Refer to the Novak Web site (www.teamnovak.com) for a list of compatible systems and transmitters.
FYI: The Dig instructions (PDF) are linked from the left column of the press release.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Strictly dual systems, brush or brushless:

Will there be a version for single esc setups? Most people running 2.2 MOAs are only using 1 esc.
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklepimp View Post
Will there be a version for single esc setups? Most people running 2.2 MOAs are only using 1 esc.
It is already on the market, it is made by Punk R/C!!
tqcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I have not heard of any plans for a single dig unit. This product was designed to allow for precision vehicle control, balance and maneuverability using two systems.

We offer factory remanufactured (w/new 120 day warranties) Rooster Crawlers, Goat BL escs and BL Crawler motors for those who are interested in dual systems, but who want to save some $$$.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I really appreciate Novak's interest in the rock crawler segment. From what I can tell, you can use a 3 CH radio such as a DX3R, but in no way does this do throttle mixing which is the main reason to run dual ESC's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this unit will perfrom the same function as a single ESC rig with elect disconnect switches or a punk rc? But now you need an extra ESC to do it. If this is true, you have really missed the boat with this IMO. About the only advantage I see is if someone is a diehard DX3R and brushless fan.
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqcookie View Post
It is already on the market, it is made by Punk R/C!!
I'm aware of the Punk dig, but it only disconnects the motors-it doesn't short them out(create a brake). It's more of a freewheel than a dig. It relys on the axles/motor to create drag.

It would be nice to see someone come out with a system that actually shorts(locks) the digging axle.
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post
I really appreciate Novak's interest in the rock crawler segment. From what I can tell, you can use a 3 CH radio such as a DX3R, but in no way does this do throttle mixing which is the main reason to run dual ESC's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this unit will perfrom the same function as a single ESC rig with elect disconnect switches or a punk rc? But now you need an extra ESC to do it. If this is true, you have really missed the boat with this IMO. About the only advantage I see is if someone is a diehard DX3R and brushless fan.
I have forwarded your question to Bob. I'll post his response later.

The Dig can be used with brush set-ups as well as BL.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm aware of the Punk dig, but it only disconnects the motors-it doesn't short them out(create a brake). It's more of a freewheel than a dig. It relys on the axles/motor to create drag.

It would be nice to see someone come out with a system that actually shorts(locks) the digging axle.

Depending on how they are wired, depends on if they are freewheel or drag.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

im pretty sure the punk dig locks the motor by shorting
flip2spin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip2spin23 View Post
im pretty sure the punk dig locks the motor by shorting

It shorts the motor. I would not say that it locks it though. You still get some roll, but this is actually a plus in my and many other's opinion.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I have forwarded your question to Bob. I'll post his response later.

The Dig can be used with brush set-ups as well as BL.
Thanks. Yes I knew you could use it with brushed too, I was just pointing out that there would be no advantage to this system with a brushed setup and and only the added exspense of another ESC. That is if I am correct that you can not do throttle mixing with a 3 ch RX such as the DX3R, which I don't see how you could.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post
Thanks. Yes I knew you could use it with brushed too, I was just pointing out that there would be no advantage to this system with a brushed setup and and only the added exspense of another ESC. That is if I am correct that you can not do throttle mixing with a 3 ch RX such as the DX3R, which I don't see how you could.
I was wondering the same thing. If i could use this with 2 esc's and mix the channels with a DX3R.
neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilus View Post
I was wondering the same thing. If i could use this with 2 esc's and mix the channels with a DX3R.
Nope. . . . Its been posted on here before about it. You can mix but everytime you turn the radio off and then back on the escs can't find nuetral something to do with it not truely being a 3rd channel its more of an auxilary channel. Maybe someone can chime in more details. I started a thread on here about it before I decided to go with a 3pk to do the mixing
M_ENERGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I already have 2 FXR's installed (tried DX6i), now running the Berg on my DX3r to learn the truck instead of 'both' it + stick radio. .
Anyways, you have to bring up "Mixing", and either "Inhibit" = Fr Dig, or assign- Throttle as Master = 4x4. In the setup, you can preset values for each (esc), Throttle is FR, Aux is RR. So over/underdrive could be achieved. However seeing the Novak DIG uses our AUX port- I'm unsure how this will affect the 3 pos switch and the way I have it now. . ?I just scroll and Click. . Damnit gotta wait till Friday when mine comes in. -
Novak 2? any idea what I'm rambling about and if the 'mix' could still work ? TIA
APESHAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #19

Very interesting product and great price, BUT will not convert my Berg over to a dual speed controller system. If this product would work with one speed controller with two motors (MOA) it would be great. I will stick with my PunkRC and ONE speed controller on my next crawler build.
GL08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #20
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Why would you need a dig unit if you are already running dual esc's?

As it has already been said, Novak missed the mark again in my opinion. From the disaster that first happened when the rooster crawler was first released to now this. The entire point of dual ESC's is to have independent control of each motor. For cryin out loud, the drag brake is already programmed into the ESC. If you wanted one motor to hold, do not engage throttle to that channel. The drag brake will hold it there or slightly engage reverse to increase the hold.

The PUNK RC dig unit works perfect for single ESC applications. Unless you can improve their dig or do it for less, why bother?
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote