Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Just another Chump

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Just another Chump

Well, I picked up a CDW LT2 about a month ago at a local swap meet and decided to try something besides the SWX that's treated me so well. Our first Winter Series comp was 3 weeks ago and I pulled off my first win Granted, I ran the worst courses when they were still dry, but the new chassis still got me 3 negative scores for the day. (We ended up not running finals because everyone was soaked and had a lot of driving to do)

After a few pm's back and forth with Anthony last week, I had a new Chump on the way

Name:  CDW Chump build 011.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  47.9 KB
This showed up in my mailbox today, and after a little happy dance I tore the old chassis apart.

Name:  CDW Chump build 010.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  91.5 KB
All the parts I'm reusing, as well as the old and new sideplates.

Name:  CDW Chump build 014.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  64.2 KB
Asembled chassis with the Sidewinder and BEC mounted to the rear of the skid

Name:  CDW Chump build 001.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  59.2 KB
Rolling chassis. Not much to show assembly wise, I just unbolted the axles and shocks and reinstalled them on the new chassis. Same link holes and shock positions, nice and simple Only cool thing I did was to wrap the servo leads around the link mount spanners to clean it up a little.

Name:  CDW Chump build 005.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  58.9 KB
Finished product with my beat to hell comp body.

Belly sits at 3.375" fully drooped out, 2.875" ride height.
45wt in all four Big Bore shocks with Losi whites up front and yellows in back.
Tires are worn out White compound Rovers with worn out stock foams in front and worn out Losi grays in back. (notice a worn out theme here?)

Thanks for looking, I'm hoping to have this thing dialed by the next comp in a few weeks.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #2

Cool! Clean little setup.
Jason MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
TEAM MODERATOR

Looks good. I'm running some of the delrin plates from the first run he made and love it. One of the best set up's I've run on my Berg. It's a climbing beast I tell ya. You should look into his steering set up. Works awesome.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MC View Post
Cool! Clean little setup.
Thanks. I saw Eeepee's sportsman and I couldn't help but try a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
Looks good. I'm running some of the delrin plates from the first run he made and love it. One of the best set up's I've run on my Berg. It's a climbing beast I tell ya. You should look into his steering set up. Works awesome.
Thanks man. I'm constantly amazed at what it will climb and how smooth it does it. Best part is going up one hole on the rear upper turns it into a killer rip rap truck I have an idea for the delrin plates, but for now they are just gonna hang on my wall and look pretty.

I'm waiting for my custom zero ackerman setup to wear out or break first. The king pin holes are getting super sloppy, not suprising since the cast al knuckles suck. Once the berg specific knuckles come out and I have CVDs the CDW steering kit will be the way to go
Old 10-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
ghetto fabulous newbie

Looks good Casey Shoulda told me you had the old style skid.

Hows your servo torque with the knuckle arms so short? I have thought about drilling/cutting my knuckles like that but thought I would lose to much torque.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLER DESIGN WORKS View Post

Hows your servo torque with the knuckle arms so short? I have thought about drilling/cutting my knuckles like that but thought I would lose to much torque.
His knuckles look like how I setup mine.

The ackerman is awesome, but I noticed a significant loss, I now have "servo stall" :-P So I got some Berg offset VP's on backorder.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:22 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
His knuckles look like how I setup mine.

The ackerman is awesome, but I noticed a significant loss, I now have "servo stall" :-P So I got some Berg offset VP's on backorder.

As long as you shorten the servo arm roughly the same amount, you don't lose any leverage. I've been running this June with no real issues, plus the tie rod is tucked up tight to the housing.

Old style skid? Aw man, I had no idea. ;)
Old 10-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
Rev
Pebble Pounder

Looks good Casey!

My Chump is in the mail. Cant wait to get it rollin...
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
ghetto fabulous newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
As long as you shorten the servo arm roughly the same amount, you don't lose any leverage. I've been running this June with no real issues, plus the tie rod is tucked up tight to the housing.

Old style skid? Aw man, I had no idea. ;)
Yeah thought about that also. But do you get enough throw? WOuld I be able to get my super 300's to turn as much as I like:-P

yeah thats the old style. you can sorta see the new style in the giveaway thread.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Looks good Casey!

My Chump is in the mail. Cant wait to get it rollin...
Congrats on winning the giveaway, you'll love this chassis. Should be a big improvement over that skeeter you're running now.

Quote:
Yeah thought about that also. But do you get enough throw? WOuld I be able to get my super 300's to turn as much as I like:-P
I can turn the knuckles 60+ degrees to the tubes without stubs in. I have to limit my EPAs to just under 100% to keep from bending the inner shafts
Old 10-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #11
ghetto fabulous newbie

Quote:
I can turn the knuckles 60+ degrees to the tubes without stubs in. I have to limit my EPAs to just under 100% to keep from bending the inner shafts
Thanks,Thats what I like to hear
Old 10-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #12
Keep Crawling in Crawling

Nice set up Casey!!! I know it will work. It's not much different then what you currently run and that set up worked awesome.

I need to get with Anthony about getting his aluminum tie rod and/or another delrin set up. I would like to see him make a couple that will work with the VP Berg Specific Knuckles so I don't have to modify his work of art tie rod.
Cruzin Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Very nice Casey! I too made the switch to CDW. It definitely works good! Now maybe I'll leave my rig alone and just learn how to drive better. Keep up the great work!
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
Rev
Pebble Pounder

Thanks... I cant believe I won! Thanks again Anthony!

I wanted to get an aluminum chassis for the winter and try something new! I really like my Skeeter... But I just never had enough time to get it dialed in, except in the comps. And you can see how well that works by my scores! HA

Quick question for ya, what is the length of your lower links? Eye to eye or end to end.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Nice looking truck, I just stared throwing together a Chump chassis Berg myself a couple nights ago. I'm really liking the chassis so far. It's a lot stiffer and narrower than my old Fubar Delrin chassis.

Any reason your link mounts at the axle are flipped around? I've seen a couple people do that recently.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #16
ghetto fabulous newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzin Illusion View Post
I need to get with Anthony about getting his aluminum tie rod and/or another delrin set up. I would like to see him make a couple that will work with the VP Berg Specific Knuckles so I don't have to modify his work of art tie rod.
I pre ordered some knuckles. So when I get them ill get a tierod made.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #17
Keep Crawling in Crawling

Quote:
Thanks Anthony!!!!! By the way I will say this is definately the best steering set up I have ever ran. Very well built and looks professionally done.
Cruzin Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #18
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
I'll need one too Anthony. Knuckles ordered! Thanks Tom!
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Nice set up Casey!!! I know it will work. It's not much different then what you currently run and that set up worked awesome.

Yep, I finally gave up on the single bolt link mounts and went back to the standard Berg brackets and it freed up the suspension quite a bit.
I have an idea as far as slamming the servo down, the aluminum tierod is a must tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
Very nice Casey! I too made the switch to CDW. It definitely works good! Now maybe I'll leave my rig alone and just learn how to drive better. Keep up the great work!
can't beat 'em, join 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Thanks... I cant believe I won! Thanks again Anthony!

I wanted to get an aluminum chassis for the winter and try something new! I really like my Skeeter... But I just never had enough time to get it dialed in, except in the comps. And you can see how well that works by my scores! HA

Quick question for ya, what is the length of your lower links? Eye to eye or end to end.
Fronts are 125mm and rears are 127mm. And yes, I know the fronts are bent and the rears aren't, I wanted to get my lengths figured out before I build stainless high clearance links

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB_117 View Post
Nice looking truck, I just stared throwing together a Chump chassis Berg myself a couple nights ago. I'm really liking the chassis so far. It's a lot stiffer and narrower than my old Fubar Delrin chassis.

Any reason your link mounts at the axle are flipped around? I've seen a couple people do that recently.
Mostly so I can use flanged nuts to bolt the links and shocks up. It saves time when you break or want to make changes I need to flip the fronts back the other way so I can space the shocks in, I keep losing spring cups.

Quote:
In, thanks for the chance!

Quote:
Thanks Anthony!!!!! By the way I will say this is definately the best steering set up I have ever ran. Very well built and looks professionally done.
That sums up everything he builds. You should see how clean the new sideplates are with the sandblasted finish om nom nom
Old 10-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
You should see how clean the new sideplates are with the sandblasted finish om nom nom
They do look great, I hated having to mar them up with the screws when I built mine but then I figured that after a couple comps it's gonna look like hell anyways with the way I drive, lol
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote