Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: 300 cvd question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 300 cvd question

Put in my 300's w/axial knuckles and at full turn(about 40 deg) theres a clicking sound either left or right with a left turn being the loudest. Took it all apart and didnt notice anything outta place or worn. Any ideas?
KingGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
RC Axle Master

Are the inner bearings staying in place?
LetsHandleit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

If I had to guess I would say it is the outer hub bearing.
Take that bearing out and see if it turns rough in your hand and the noise goes away without it.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGee View Post
Put in my 300's w/axial knuckles
They are not designed to work with Axial Knuckles.

*edit* - sorry for the bad info, hadn't followed the Axial release*

Last edited by binaryterror; 02-06-2010 at 06:23 AM.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
They are not designed to work with Axial Knuckles.
If he purchased these they are.
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Super-300...s-p-17923.html

Unless he may have gotten the Berg knuckle version
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

axial knuckle version is available, i got a set right from sds
joshsmith512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:34 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Yes i got the axial versions. The bearings are stayin put. I took the wheels off and it seemed to be better. Maybe ill go get some new knuckle bearings and try that. I noticed that the axle walks in and out of the knuckle when you go from straight to full turn. Im lost.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Make sure the wheel nuts are nice and tight, and that you have greased the CVDs with a strong/heavy grease. Then run about 10-15 packs through them and they will loosen up and be good to go for a long time. Also, make sure yours have the hardened pin retainer ring.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:59 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Yeah. Only got maybe 1 hour on them. Just dont wanna tear something up if i can avoid it. Thanks for the help and ideas guys.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I dont know if other have been having the problem but my wheels nuts are not staying tight. I already need new lock nuts for them and they were doing that after only a few times of taking them off. So be sure and keep a eye on that. Other than that mine have been good. Tore them down and cleaned and regreased last week.
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:49 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert97dodge View Post
I dont know if other have been having the problem but my wheels nuts are not staying tight. I already need new lock nuts for them and they were doing that after only a few times of taking them off. So be sure and keep a eye on that. Other than that mine have been good. Tore them down and cleaned and regreased last week.
Ya they do that. Blue lock tight, and or flanged nuts with the serrations on the flange help a lot.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGee View Post
Yes i got the axial versions. The bearings are stayin put. I took the wheels off and it seemed to be better. Maybe ill go get some new knuckle bearings and try that. I noticed that the axle walks in and out of the knuckle when you go from straight to full turn. Im lost.

That is what is causing the bind. The cvd needs to pivot at the same point at the knuckle. You might have the berg cvd's and not the axial ones. Maybe swap out to the stock berg knuckles.

I have the stock berg knuckles and had to put an O ring behind the wheel hex pin to keep the cvd located in the right spot. Otherwise it wanted to move in and out.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys. I'll get ahold of the man that goes by the name Super Dave and get it handled.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Ya they do that. Blue lock tight, and or flanged nuts with the serrations on the flange help a lot.
I wish the kits could be sold with the flanged lock nuts, the issue is that alot of the wheels dont allow the use of a 5mm flanged nut. so hence the kits having non-flanged nuts. If ur wheels will allow it, I think the nuts u would like are from HPI?
SDS Customz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #15
Keep it real

KingGee came over to our comp yesterday and we figured out the issue, after some headscratching. Turns out he has the Axial version CVD's with Berg version Highsteer knuckles. He thought he had Axial version knuckles, but they were Berg version. We tossed a set of axial knuckles I had in my toolbox on his rig, and solved the problem.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDS Customz View Post
I wish the kits could be sold with the flanged lock nuts, the issue is that alot of the wheels dont allow the use of a 5mm flanged nut. so hence the kits having non-flanged nuts. If ur wheels will allow it, I think the nuts u would like are from HPI?
yep I use the HPIZ682 nuts with SLWs.
ol' gravy leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Well I feel pretty small. Thanks for your expertise tanis and Super Dave. I just ordered the VP zero ackerman knuckles (AXIAL versions). I took the cvds out and they look just like new. Awesome product. Cant wait to have smooth steering without binding.

Thanks again to all helped get to the bottom of this problem.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #18
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

I had the same problem. To solve it I took a flanged 5mm serrated locknut and mounted it on a Revo stub shaft (or any accepting bolt). Put the bolt in a drill so that you have a spinning nut on a stick. Clamp the drill in a vice. Fire up your dremmel cutting or grinding disk and, with the drill spinning the nut, grind down the flange till it fits your wheel of interest. I run SLWs and with a little "ghetto millng" I have flanged locknuts that fit perfectly into the hub. You can even polish the flange edge with some fine sandpaper if you like things pretty. I've not had one slip since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert97dodge View Post
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDS Customz View Post
I use the Traxxas Revo wheel nuts, since that's what I had in the tool box. one of the included nuts had the nylon push right out as I threaded it on for the first time.
Lushtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote