Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: RcBros Berg Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
RcBros Hobbies

Default RcBros Berg Build

Well it's time to come to the darkside, and what better way then to have christmas in February!

Specs:

Front Axle:
Version 1
300 CVD's
Vanquish Berg Knuckles
RC Innovations Clocked OTA Kit

Rear Axle:
Version 1
Fubar Lockouts

Chassis:
Vanquish MOA Incision Chassis

Wheels/Tires:
Vanquish DH Pro comps, silver with red rings (Front)
Vanquish SLW's 1" silver with red rings (Rear)
Hot Bodies Pink Rovers

Electronics:
Punk Dig Switch
Tekin FXR
CC BEC
45T lathe motors

Body:
Proline crowd pleazer rock crawler version

Its been about two weeks of waiting for all orders to arrive, and a few e-mails with some out of stock items, but everything has finally arrived! I spent all day stocking UPS trucks trying to search for my lost package and at 6pm tonight I finally got a call saying they found it, and at 7pm It was in my possession I was planning on doing an all nighter for this build, but now I think sleep is in order!

But for this evening,
I started by taking apart the axles to clock them and install my 300's and Fubar lockouts. Starting with the front axle, I was able to get the long side of the front axle off, but the hex is stuck on the short side . I did notice for some reason, the long side axle is machined down while the short is not.. Wierd..

Anyways, I picked up one of JeepinDougs Ultimate Clocking fixture jigs which takes the guess work out of measuring when drilling the axles. Very Nice! (Borat Style)

So after figuring out which set of holes I wanted for the front (20 Degrees) it was simply a matter of bolting up and drilling. A nice sharp drill bit and a half dead drill battery did the trick, and a few metal shavings later I had this

Then a 3mm tap was inserted to create some thread and walla, one side done and time for bed!

RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

looks to be a killer rig with all those goodies!!!
I love my rc innovations steering kit!

and you can't go wrong with VP BLING!!!

can't wait to see it done!!!
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Great start ! I just installed a RC innovations steering kit on mine,but I made a new servo mounting plate.The servo sat to far forward for me even when using the rear servo mounting holes with the supplied plate. with 300's you will get great steering throw.
Gardetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:09 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Welcome to the "darkside". It's way nice not dealing w/ torque steer. Great job on the build so far.
gdhknives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
RCC Addict

That's gonna be a pretty rig when it's done.
Wake up and keep workin!
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
RcBros Hobbies

Rigs done, will post the build tonight once I have Internet.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

why arent you broken dam testing
joshsmith512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
RcBros Hobbies

Stuck watching a friends dogs right now "lame"

also having problems with my punk dig
Old 02-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
RcBros Hobbies

Well I had to watch the inlaws house and dogs this weekend, so I had plenty of time to finish the berg.

I was able to clocked both the front and rear axles on my lunch break friday so it was time to assemble. Starting with the front axle.

First, was the 300 CVD's.

These things are beef, check out the size of the pin on this bad boy!

The quality of these stock berg axles must have been left somewhere other then the factory. The gears were a PITA to remove the bearings after, and I had to hammer out one of the axles. If you see the pic below, one looks slightly machined and the other is not. The one that is not, had to get hammered off the hex, you can see I split the axle doing so.

Also had to add some Vanquish Berg Knuckles to the mix.

I went with the RC-Innovations OTA Kit for the clocked axles. I must admit, for $45.00 i'm very disappointed. The piece is hand made, which isn't the issue at hand, its how its made. The countersinking is horrible, and the piece was countersunk on the wrong side, then flipped and countersunk on the right side. Leaving little to no material for the screw. I'll need to make my own, as I see the servo ripping right through it later. You can see the pics below

It seems to be a good design, thats why I ordered it, but I expected more.

The long side of the 300 CVD's did require a quick hit of sandpaper to slide the bearing over, but it was about a 15 second job.

After installing the knuckles and 300's I used my favorite lube of choice. Eureka! This stuff is nice, it flings the excess of but leaves what is needed to keep the gears lubed.

I spaced ordering some ubolts to mount the steering kit, so some 5/16 square delrin, a dremel, heat gun and 35 minutes and I had my own. Seems to work pretty darn good!

Old 02-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Nice job on the delrin U bolts, came out nice and thin.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
RcBros Hobbies

I went with a set of Vanquish DH Procomps for the front with 225 hubs. The packaging on these things is just as nice as the rims themselves! Installation was a snap!! Getting them shipped to me on the other hand was a fight to the finish lol

And a new set of pink rovers were mounted.

Front axle was done and the steering looked good!

The rear was fairly simply. I cut the knuckles flush at work and hit them with the sander for a clean finish. Then installed the Fubar Lockouts.

And Vanquish SLW's with 225 hubs for the rear!

I've seen a good amount of chassis at my local comps, and the vanquish seems to work the best, so that is what I went with.

Once I got to this stage of the build, I was told I had to go to the ORCRC comp in the morning, I looked at the clocked (9:30) and knew I had to get busy! I originally was going to make all delrin links, but with the time restraints I decided to use what I had and see how it all worked out.

Later on i'll upgrade to 5/16" lower delrin links with revo rod ends.

So I went with axial bent links in the rear, with straight links in the front, some axial straight links for the rear uppers, and some delrin uppers for the front. Wheelbase is at 12 1/4" and is just a hair under 12.5" when pushed down.

Then it was time for the electronics installation! Since I was in a time crunch I did a clean punk dig wiring job, but didn't have time to find a suitable location for the receiver. So zip tired it went!

I mounted one of our soon to be release batteries on the front upper links, then ran into some room restraints for the front steering.

I had to move the servo back even more making my OTA useless as the servo now sticks out as far as the stock linkage would have.. Not sure what I want to do about this, but it'll change.

And the inside goods

And at 1:10am I was able to mount the body

I was all ready to go, then discovered my punk dig is faulty. So I ended up sleeping in and staying home
Old 02-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Looking good. You can turn your servo around and move it back. I had to do that and mount my knuckles forward. It puts everything in an acceptable place and the steering is still up and out of teh way.

My axles aren't clocked though.

Last edited by Harvo; 02-15-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
RcBros Hobbies

Thanks, I was planning on doing this next. Orders a clamping servo horn to do the job
Old 02-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #14
RCC Addict

You could also try putting the servo back where it was and tilting the mount forward. This will get the horn closer to the tie rod. Just get it close enough to clear the upper link mount screw at full right steer.
Also move the servo plate as far to the driver's side as you could but still clearing the tie rod and servo upright.
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #15

You could also flip your knuckles backwards, thats how most people run the the RC kit from what I seen.
macs406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:54 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I just put up a thread about what I did..I moved the upper link mount back and made a new servo mount..now my servo sit way farther back...I told you that it stuck out too much right after you posted your build. oh the thread is (upper link mount mod)
Gardetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Looks good so far!! You'll love the bergs with the 300s!
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

actually the steering kit for clocked axles is designed for the knuckles forward.
the tie rod wont clear the upper link mount when installed backwards.

also we found that this steering kit with the ckrc servo mount gives you maximum clearance up front, instead of your servo hanging forward like that.

build looks good man!
I like it!!!
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #19
RcBros Hobbies

Yes, I just saw that post, to bad I just made a order with them for another punk dig about 30 minutes ago lol. I'll pick one this week from there/my machinist if possible.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #20
RcBros Hobbies

Well I don't think either punk dig was bad, but I haven't tested the first one yet to make sure.. But upon installing the second punk dig I had similar problems. So I replaced the CC BEC tonight with a new one and all the problems are gone!

I can finally get on the rocks and test this thing out!