Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: A little advise on HI knuckles and better steering please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default A little advise on HI knuckles and better steering please

I believe I have the 1st Gen. Enroute Berg axles.
There are so many different steering setups it makes my head spin

I like the Servo between the axle and the motor but how is that possible?

I want to upgrade to the Eric brass knuckle weights but need some help on what knuckles to buy. My HPI mesh wheels have big back spacing so the zero acker wont fit. and my wheels dont turn very far until they hit the links and shock.

What Axle width is popular these days?
Which Knuckles?

Thanks
Attached Images

toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

What you want is 86Jeep steering. He pioneered the servo between the tube and motor.

The short and sweet version:

You have to machine a servo sized groove into the long tube, make a servo mount, mount the servo mount to the axle then drop the servo into the mount. you also have to drill new motor mount holes in the gear case, then make a tie rod with the right bends to make it all work!
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Holmes Hobbies

You are gonna need to invest in berg offset wheels first. Them upgrade the knuckles. Check with RC Bro's, I bet they will do the whole set up for ya.

http://cart.rcbros.com/product_info.php?products_id=251
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Hey DickeyT, do you know of anybody that does that tube work and remounting, if we were to send them our axles
juan916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
What you want is 86Jeep steering. He pioneered the servo between the tube and motor.

The short and sweet version:

You have to machine a servo sized groove into the long tube, make a servo mount, mount the servo mount to the axle then drop the servo into the mount. you also have to drill new motor mount holes in the gear case, then make a tie rod with the right bends to make it all work!
Wow I didn't think there was enough room to machine into the axle tube, but I guess along with moving the motor as well it works.
I think this is the best mod
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD13 View Post
You are gonna need to invest in berg offset wheels first. Them upgrade the knuckles. Check with RC Bro's, I bet they will do the whole set up for ya.

http://cart.rcbros.com/product_info.php?products_id=251
the link had no item but I will look into it as I will ask Erik if those knuckles fit his knuckle weights. No biggie though I now have a mill in my garage. I almost want to make my own.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Search for Clover Custom Design tubes from 66Bronco. Nice set up for weight savings and tons of steering

Cycleeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

And if you don't wanna spend the money on the 86 Jeep set up go with the RCInnovations OTA. Great price and they work awesome. I run that with Vanquish High clearance knuckles and my Berg has awesome steering and it even compares to the XR10's steering.

Also upgrading to Super300 CVD's will help you get more steering also.

Last edited by James003; 04-29-2011 at 06:38 PM. Reason: more
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I do have the VP knuckles and the s300, but my issue is not having the tools to cut the tube to put the servo between the motor and tube, i have the 20* CDW steering right now but i like the servo arm location for the 86jeep steering better, my steering right now is just right it rubs the shock springs a bit but i would prefer the servo arm on top out or the way like the 86 setup
juan916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I hear you, the 86 Jeep is great. I was just telling you to check out the RCInnovations OTA kits. it works awesome and you turn the servo around so it's completely out of the way also. Just a cheaper option that works just as good in my opinion and you don't have to modify your axle.
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
RcBros Hobbies

There are many vendors here who offer the machining service to do the 86jeep mod.

Clover designs offers a great front tube housing and does the mod for 86jeep steering to boot
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleeric View Post
Search for Clover Custom Design tubes from 66Bronco. Nice set up for weight savings and tons of steering
Quote:
Originally Posted by James003 View Post
And if you don't wanna spend the money on the 86 Jeep set up go with the RCInnovations OTA. Great price and they work awesome. I run that with Vanquish High clearance knuckles and my Berg has awesome steering and it even compares to the XR10's steering.

Also upgrading to Super300 CVD's will help you get more steering also.
Thank you for the names.
Awesome pics, thanks again
I just measured up how u guys stuff the servo in there, sure did get lucky on the tranny/motor mounting design.

Now, What wheel type back spacing should I be looking for? I am not going to spend an arm and a leg though, I'll make my own before I do that. UNder $60.
I really like CAC so I'll see if rpp has something.

Thanks guys

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 04-30-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Mental note 66bronco from Clover Custom Design will do a 86jeep set up with his axle tubes! Not the cheapest option but when you count unbelievalbe steering, big drops in weight, and just plain hot looking 66bronco is your guy.

One another note if your not looking to do tubes, BigRon I think is still doing 86jeep style steering set ups.

Either way you go there the work is very verry good and will end up far more precise than the hack saw and dremel mode! Trust me I tried it once It worked but without an endmill getting the groove cut from the tube and depending how deep you need to go can be a big job to tackle.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTrader View Post
Mental note 66bronco from Clover Custom Design will do a 86jeep set up with his axle tubes! Not the cheapest option but when you count unbelievalbe steering, big drops in weight, and just plain hot looking 66bronco is your guy.

One another note if your not looking to do tubes, BigRon I think is still doing 86jeep style steering set ups.

Either way you go there the work is very verry good and will end up far more precise than the hack saw and dremel mode! Trust me I tried it once It worked but without an endmill getting the groove cut from the tube and depending how deep you need to go can be a big job to tackle.
Cool thanks Wartrader
It does look killer. Wonder why it wasnt done originaly.
Good thing I have a milling Machine! !going to drill my gears too
Old 05-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTrader View Post
Wartrader are you saying the 66Bronco is Hot Looking?
Cycleeric is offline   Reply With Quote