Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Dlux Berg Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #521
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Dlux Berg Build

over 2 years on the same gear and hex pins...........
not one problem to date..........

just saying.......................
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #522
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksloski View Post
over 2 years on the same gear and hex pins...........
not one problem to date..........

just saying.......................
Just saying you don't drive enough to wear anything out.
CrAwLeR13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #523
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAwLeR13 View Post
Just saying you don't drive enough to wear anything out.

jacobflyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #524
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I got the shafts done last night. Not quite what I envisioned but they turned out great.

Made from hardened 4140.

They are 8mm at the bearing end and then from the bearing to the locker they are 7mm, gun drilled to 5mm all the way. No c-clips.

At first I made them 8mm all the way across but once you hold 8mm in your hands, there is no question it is too much, plus, I wanted to get these at a reasonable weight so, I turned the portion from the bearing to the locker down to 7mm. I kept the bearing side at 8mm so the RC4wd hexes will fit. I still think that they are a bit too strong but I like that. In fact, I think they are so strong I am not sure testing would really be in order.

I have a comp this weekend so I am going to run them for the next couple days and then on the weekend. After that, I have another idea for some serious weight savings.

Here are a couple pictures showing the sizes. Stock, CKRC 6mm and mine. If you look closely, you can see the long 6mm shaft is bent the entire length of the shaft and on the short side you can see its bent at the threads. For the first time, its really, really nice to watch my tires run true, well, as true as the tire and foam allow. LOL. No more bending shafts, threads or broken hex pins for this guy.

If you look at the part that goes into the locker you can really see the size difference.

Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #525
Wanna get? Gotta want.

For being such a large shaft the weights came in really well. Just 1g per axle more than a 6mm shaft.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #526
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I have been working at reducing weight on my car. Before I never put much effort into the wheels and tires as I didnt really care too much. I am going to try and take it further now and see how I like it. I still need to decide if I want to reduce weight with a smaller battery. My 800mah 40c have never let me down where as my other 450 and 350 have. I just dont know if its worth the 1oz loss. I also figured out that I dont like to change in situations between bigger and smaller batteries. It just changes the cars handling too much.

I replaced all my screws in my wheels with AL screws. Pretty big difference. Should lose about .4-.5oz with just a screw change PER wheel. Almost 2oz for the entire car. I got my Sedonas down to 5.4oz for the T/W/F combo. Not too bad for those piggies.

And for reference here is my unshaven Sedona on a 1.9oz wheel.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #527
I wanna be Dave

Those rear shafts are beefcake for sure.

Looks like you designed them for the superbully hexes also right? I'm sure anything is better than what you had in there before!
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #528
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Yep, bully hexes. They are not specific to the super though. Just 12mm.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #529
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Also forgot to mention that I switched up the wheel width in the front to .5 and am really liking them so far. I would not have even tried it but Marc from chaotic switched over to them and liked them. I may even check out .4's
Old 02-08-2012, 05:06 AM   #530
Quarry Creeper

I noticed you had ran narrowed Sedona's in the past. What made you switch back? And what width foams did you run in them?
LEADFOOT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #531
I wanna be Dave

Beefy shaft, puny bearing. Have you thought of making larger bearing carriers?
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #532
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADFOOT82 View Post
I noticed you had ran narrowed Sedona's in the past. What made you switch back? And what width foams did you run in them?
I actually liked the narrowed Donas quite a bit. My only problem with them is that you have to make them. I am not a tire making kind of guy and I dont want to bother somebody with making me a set all the time. In the summer, when I was driving much more I was going through tires once every month and a half or so. I think I am on my 5th set of front Donas this year, 3rd or 4th set of BC's.

I ran Rover foam in them. I thought they may have been a touch stiff for my taste, pretty close though.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #533
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_b View Post
Beefy shaft, puny bearing. Have you thought of making larger bearing carriers?
Kinda what I thought on the bearings too. Funny thing is though that I cannot find any problems with them failing. I searched the Bully section up and down and could not find one complaint about them unlike in here (and in my experience of blowing a 6x11 bearing in less than 2 packs). Lots of people running them on their Super Bully cars too.

I have been running the bearings in my super for a good amount of time. Obviously there is a lot more stress with those 8" tires than with 2.2's Sedonas.

Time will tell and I will address it if its an issue. It would be easy on my axles to just double the bearing up. I wouldnt want to make the lockout any bigger.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #534
Rock Crawler

The shafts look great Erik. Another fine part by dlux. Can't wait to get mine.
CrAwLeR13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #535
I wanna be Dave

I had tons and tons of time on my v6/super bully shafts and never had one fail...I would not worry too much about those bearings.....
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #536
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Funny thing is though that I cannot find any problems with them failing. I searched the Bully section up and down and could not find one complaint about them unlike in here (and in my experience of blowing a 6x11 bearing in less than 2 packs). Lots of people running them on their Super Bully cars too.
I never had a problem with the size of the bearings in my bullys......just the quality of the RC4WD bearings. They were complete crap. I replaced all of mine with Avid bearings and never had a problem.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #537
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I never had a problem with the size of the bearings in my bullys......just the quality of the RC4WD bearings. They were complete crap. I replaced all of mine with Avid bearings and never had a problem.
Same here... never had any bearing problems in my Super Bully's.
I also changed over to Avid bearings back in May of last year; with no problems yet.
Gear Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #538
Rock Crawler

Great work Erik, Wish I would not have gone to an XR10 just so I could keep buying your Berg parts !!!!!!
jacobflyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #539
Pebble Pounder

I think ya need to groove those pigs! Mine with .7's and an 850 hub come in at 5.1oz each! Thats with all steel hardware too.
HTRDDZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #540
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobflyin View Post
Great work Erik, Wish I would not have gone to an XR10 just so I could keep buying your Berg parts !!!!!!
Dont worry, you will be back soon enough. Then you get to buy them all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTRDDZL View Post
I think ya need to groove those pigs! Mine with .7's and an 850 hub come in at 5.1oz each! Thats with all steel hardware too.
Crazy. That makes it tempting to groove them but I am pretty sure I came to the conclusion that I like them non grooved.