Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Hulksta's 2012 rig "Bergsta"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Hulksta's 2012 rig "Bergsta"

Yep thats right for 2012 pro class i wont be running a losi.. this year coming i'll be sporting a berg

And even tho i said i wasnt going to get crazy and customise my next rig... well i just cant help myself ...... Im also trying to have it ready for our State Tittles on Nov 19th

A bit of machining on the tubes..

Even found an alloy locker i thought i would mill just for the hell of it lol

Rodend mod was needed for the rear... this is not your average mod, for whats been machined inside is the cool part about it but im not about to share all my secrets yet

And some pics of the mock ups before i made some Ti goodness

Thats all for now
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2011, 04:44 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Hi Hulksta !

Nice job you did on this new rig bro... Great milling skills !!! (I might be interested by that ; is it a service you offer to crawling fellows friends ?) I'll keep an eye on that build.

Have fun !
CrawlrKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

You did an amazing job on the losi, I'll watch this thread
AlexG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Those tubes look pretty snazzy. Should be interesting to see what you come up with for the berg. It looks like you are making good progress. ( Sorry I couldn't help myself)
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Traitor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks good
annedecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

The Losi MOA die out. What a bummer.
Let us see your metal creation. But it's hard to outperform your Losi build.
Toy Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:20 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Hey guys thanks for the kind words, it keeps me pushing to offer more updates, ideas etc knowing that guys are enjoying the read

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlrKing View Post
Hi Hulksta !

Nice job you did on this new rig bro... Great milling skills !!! (I might be interested by that ; is it a service you offer to crawling fellows friends ?) I'll keep an eye on that build.

Have fun !
Hi man, Yep i do offer my services now im a vendor on here, for now its just job by job custom work so drop me a PM if there is something your needing machined/made

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexus View Post
You did an amazing job on the losi, I'll watch this thread
The losi build will be tuff to top, had me thinking for a while how can i top the work i did on it and give you guys a good build thread to read.. i hope what ive got planed will cut it
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
Those tubes look pretty snazzy. Should be interesting to see what you come up with for the berg. It looks like you are making good progress. ( Sorry I couldn't help myself)
Yes its a progressing joke.. when i won the chassis at the nats i thought to myself, 'there will now be progress for next years rig

Jokes aside ive been wanting to check this chassis out for a while but postage costs from rcp has stopped me everytime (shame TCS doesnt stock them, they seem more down to earth on there pricing for us guys in OZ)
Not sure if i like the chassis now ive got it tho, the axial shock mounts seem bulky compaired the the losi ones im used too and the finish on the alloy side plates is rough, not sure if its ment to be like that? I'll run it for now but i would say i'll be making another C/F chassis myself soon anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by annedecke View Post
Traitor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Master View Post
The Losi MOA die out. What a bummer.
Let us see your metal creation. But it's hard to outperform your Losi build.
Yeah hopefully this next update is a step in the right direction

Last edited by Hulksta; 11-08-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:51 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Guess i should post some specs on it too, the axles are Eddie at CI's old pair and the rear is as i recived them.

Rear axle,
Clover tubes
6mm axles not sure on make?
Lightweight locker from RCBros

Front axle,
Super 300's
Lightweight locker

Chassis is Progress
Shocks started out as scx10 alloy's

Now time for an update

Got some protection for my new brOOd motors.. Don at BDW sent me some hot new motor covers, they are unreal and anyone with a moa should grab a pair, you'll be inpressed! gotta get some for my son now

I made up some Ti goodness...

Ive spent some time on the mill to make knuckle weights for the berg knuckles just to get me by the next comp...

Just need to make extra weight to add but will wait till its running and see how much more it might need...

The progress chassis doesnt come with any bracing, so i replaced these two nuts..

With this brace...

But then thought.. i can do better than that lol, so this is better...
Old 11-08-2011, 06:32 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Looking real nice Dan. Whats the story on those chubs? Looks like you made those.
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:00 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Now the shocks.. After reading Jakes (Del Monte) xr10 build where he used bladders in the scx10 shocks (egressor's idea tho i believe) i was wanting to try the mod myself, but since i run semi droop its not possable to place place a spring inside the shock as it will press on the bladder defeating the whole idea of having a bladder in the first place...

So not to be defeated i put my thinking hat on
What i came up with was to run a spring inside the body over the shock shaft to give me the droop.. then i mounted the longer one if the scx10 springs over the shock, but when i droops out the spring didnt locate in the cup very well and i would likely loose cups everwhere, so i made some cones to hold the spring cup and help locate the spring perfectly everytime..

I'll also add here that the scx10 shock needs limiters if you going to run bladders.. as you'll see in this next pic without a limiter this is how far the shaft will travel down the body.. so doing this mod i would say a 5mm limiter at minunum (the cones a make are 5mm and i just add to that if needed)

The other issue i needed to overcome is how to let the bladder breath since doing the rodend mod as the mod blocks where the hole needed to be.... can you see how i achevied this?

Yep i got the screws in the lathe and drilled a 1.5mm hole in each, then drilled a 1.5mm hole on both side of the rodend just below the ball pointing down... this mod now allows the bladder to breath though the top

Old 11-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D View Post
Looking real nice Dan. Whats the story on those chubs? Looks like you made those.
Hi Dave, those are some ax10 chubs i had (not sure on make) but i had to trim the front off them to clearance the berg knuckles, they could do with some more too but im concerned the chub my brake/split if i do... cant wait to ditch these chubs and knuckles for the new ones
Old 11-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Before i forget.. these are the wheels i'll be running for now, 1" VP's

Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

How the heck did you drill the center on that screw? Do you have a collet that small or just hold it real light in a chuck? I have tried something similar and could not hold it tight enough without crushing the threads. What the seceret or am I just lame?
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
How the heck did you drill the center on that screw? Do you have a collet that small or just hold it real light in a chuck? I have tried something similar and could not hold it tight enough without crushing the threads. What the seceret or am I just lame?
Looks awesome Dan! Looking forward to the build.

I did the same to all my 4mm hardware in my big bores to bring the weight down. I just put the screws in my lathe chuck and had no problems.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

That bladder mod is pretty sweet...good work on the breathing holes!
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
That bladder mod is pretty sweet...good work on the breathing holes!

X2 never even thought about doing this or even for saving weight great job
AlexG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Amazing work as always Dan.

I smell trouble for all those Axial's at the next comp.

I think the Losi still has it covered though
The CrAwLL BLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #18
RCC Addict

As Erik said just straight in the chuck with the screwsjust dont get too carried away with tighening the chuck.. another ive used in the past is putting the screw into an ax10 alloy link and lathe it

Thanks for the comments guys

@Mike- It dont feel right throwing smack talk at a losi.. so i'll just say, if the losi beats me its because im letting you win

Last edited by Hulksta; 11-08-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Very Nice! Two questions...

What bladders are those?

and why do you need a breather hole? Is it because the bladder has to sit on the barrel instead of up in the cap like a big bore?

Thanks
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Very Nice! Two questions...

What bladders are those?

and why do you need a breather hole? Is it because the bladder has to sit on the barrel instead of up in the cap like a big bore?

Thanks
Hi Harvo, There traxxas 1/16 revo items TRA7062

This is my first time running the bladder setup so im just trusting others when they say its smooth with the breathers, maybe it reacts faster? dont know but im keen to trial n error stuff (im also trialing bladders in the bully i built but no breather just a bleed hole, ploblem is they still leak so im hoping this breather idea will stop that)