Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: ***Berg XR10 Hybrid Axle Pre-order***

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default ***Berg XR10 Hybrid Axle Pre-order***

Well testing is done and I have production all but wrapped up. The first ones will be ready to ship out on Wednesday. I made a batch of 6 pairs and will take pre-orders on them until they are gone. If you haven't seen or heard of them you can find info in these builds.

Highlands 2012 berg

The Stalker

Pre-order info can be found HERE

highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Nice product
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
TSK
Shelf queen

Beefy.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I would agree that these are a "nice" product, though I will pass on a piece of advise. look at the drive tangs as there is room for improvment, while you are goin to all the work. other then that they look good.
SDS Customz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

They look great, cant wait to get my set. It's nice having another option other than 300's. Less expensive and hopefully more available. From everything I've seen, the xr universals are nice and tough. Thanks for making a product that a lot of us out here have been wanting since we first saw the stalker.
Chevdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:19 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDS Customz View Post
I would agree that these are a "nice" product, though I will pass on a piece of advise. look at the drive tangs as there is room for improvment, while you are goin to all the work. other then that they look good.
The pic has not been updated in this thread yet. Those ones pictured are the prototype ones that were cut by hand. I assume you are referring to the fact the flat is shorter than the tang and did not engage all the way correctly. That was an early mistake and why we make pro-type pieces. You can see in the pic below of the current ones being shipped the tang is twice the length and the locating pin is max length to make assembly easier. The tangs engage fully and the 2 tips almost touch in the middle. Also when you use the little "air quotes" on a word like nice most people including myself take that as sarcasm. I'm sure thats not what you were implying but just letting you know. I wont say these are perfect and the best thing on the planet but they are a great option for someone looking for something different at a reasonable price.

Last edited by highlandcrawler; 11-17-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:14 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

They look a lot stronger than the inner shafts on my xr, and they have been nothing but bulletproof.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:25 AM   #8
no talent hack

I think what sds is referring to is the 90 degree corner. It can cause a stress riser to occur at that point and allow the shaft to twist in relation to the flat spot. A radius from the flat to the od of the shaft will be the strongest
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:38 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-hills4x4 View Post
I think what sds is referring to is the 90 degree corner. It can cause a stress riser to occur at that point and allow the shaft to twist in relation to the flat spot. A radius from the flat to the od of the shaft will be the strongest
This is a true statement however I believe most lockers with strip long before the shaft. I've been wrong before though
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:54 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks for the helpful insight. I will work that into the future models. It would be as simple as having the machine cut the flats from the side. That would make a cleaner flat also without the 2 passes from the mill. During testing there was no twisting even after destroying lockers so that addition will make them super stout.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
x2 as we can look back on ckrc and there rear shafts that would twist off
at the 90. if you where to use a round end mill or flip it 80 deg when mill them you would have a rad and not a 90. but i likey and need a set
Rock Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Hey, Erin, get me the CAD file and I can run some FEA for you, both with the flat and with a radius. Happy to do it for you free of charge. PM me and I will give you my e-mail.
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloout View Post
x2 as we can look back on ckrc and there rear shafts that would twist off
at the 90. if you where to use a round end mill or flip it 80 deg when mill them you would have a rad and not a 90. but i likey and need a set
That is an un-fair comparison Lars. CKRC was using poor quality metals. I am on the phone with Erin now, and we are talking about putting the radius in it. But I will say that the proto's that he cut for my berg have less drive tang engagement, and no radius in it, and they haven't given me any shit. So I don't think that there will be any issues with a 90. But doing a radius will not hurt either
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloout View Post
.... or flip it 80 deg when mill them you would have a rad and not a 90. but i likey and need a set
Not sure, but 80 degrees doesn't seem quite right to me.
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

You could also just use and end mill with a small radius and not have to side mill them. That way the the machining process doesn't need to change.
I'm not to concerned with that being a stress riser. It didn't stop me from ordering a set.
Way to step up and be innovative.
Hoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppa View Post
Way to step up and be innovative.

x2

When Erin saw my build thread, and decided he wanted to build one is when he came up with the idea of just machining a whole new shaft. I'm sure I would have eventually thought of it... after much frustration later lol. Sure beats the hell out of trying to join stuff together.

For those concerned with strength, I have been using these in my berg in the thread below. The truck has far more power than I know what to do with, and the axles are holding up great.

The Stalker
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Default Re: ***Berg XR10 Hybrid Axle Pre-order***

Dose the pin at the end of the axle shaft keep the axle centered in the locker? I guess i could just pull my rig apart an mic it.
The Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Misfit View Post
Dose the pin at the end of the axle shaft keep the axle centered in the locker? I guess i could just pull my rig apart an mic it.
Yes it sure does, without it, it will just slop from side to side in the locker
khwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #19

Are these for sale or just pre Order
Wilard77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Ya I would like a set of these wth 6 mil outers that will work with ax-10 outers. A direct replacement for the 300s
oneeye is offline   Reply With Quote