Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Can I use these RC4wd wraith axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Can I use these RC4wd wraith axles

Looking to get better steering angle and wondering if I can use these axles and/or what need to be modded to make them work?
Rc4wd Xtreme Velocity Drive (XVD) for Axial Wraith [z-s0356] - $34.99 : CKRC Crawlers, RC Rock Crawlers

I could not find mention of them via search
soutthpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

In a berg? Doubtful.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

any idea why? wrong lengths? the bearing should be the same as they use the same knuckles I can weld or mill the shafts I just need a U joint with better steering angle. if I can find just the joints I can cut and weld the current shafts I have onto them an just machine them to size etc.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
wrong lengths?
I havent measured them, but yeah, I would believe the wraith axles are quite a bit longer than the berg shafts.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I havent measured them, but yeah, I would believe the wraith axles are quite a bit longer than the berg shafts.
Ok, too long is good, I can mill them down to the right length
Old 11-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I would also be worried about that area of smaller OD being a weak point...
Old 11-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Just ordered a set to see if I can make them work, I had to order some other parts anyway, if it works, it sure beats $145 for the super 300's.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The quality of those shafts will be nothing like the Super300's. I have beat on the 300's in my berg and never had a problem from them...
Old 11-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

If money is the problem why not try these half the price of 300s and they look to be really nice.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles...ml#post3381324
jammin311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
RCC Addict

You will also have to use XR10/wraith C's and knuckles. Otherwise you won't be able to get the pins in the CV to line up with the kingpins on the knuckle. If you wanted to go to that effort, I'd use the axial brand uni's, atleast they have been tried and tested in the XR10 and are not known to shatter every pack like the RC4wds.

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
You will also have to use XR10/wraith C's and knuckles. Otherwise you won't be able to get the pins in the CV to line up with the kingpins on the knuckle. If you wanted to go to that effort, I'd use the axial brand uni's, atleast they have been tried and tested in the XR10 and are not known to shatter every pack like the RC4wds.

Kieren
looked at those but he is out of stock on them and also they are U joints not CV joints. when turning U joints actually change speed going faster and then slower. hence why CV joints are better in that respect.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I suggest trying a store of better reputation that also has them in stock. RPP hobby comes to mind. Also I believe the 'CV' joints still change speed throughout the cycle as they are essentially a mashed up uni. The only joint that is truly constant velocity is the double carden (uni) joint.

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:21 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
any idea why? wrong lengths? the bearing should be the same as they use the same knuckles I can weld or mill the shafts I just need a U joint with better steering angle. if I can find just the joints I can cut and weld the current shafts I have onto them an just machine them to size etc.
They don't use the same knuckle. spacing is different between berg and Wraith/Axial. The xvd axles are not very stout at all. They like to break in their given application and modding them for berg use is just going to weaken them more. I would avoid welding and making 2 piece shafts as they just wont hold over time. There are a lot of us that have tried and just never got it to work reliably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post

Kieren

I would agree that the Axial ones would be a better option but require you to cut and weld them together with a berg inner.
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:06 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Doing the C's and knuckles would be nice as then I can set the caster angle of choice. Seen a few in the build threads.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:45 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Doing the C's and knuckles would be nice as then I can set the caster angle of choice. Seen a few in the build threads.
You will be much happier going that route than using those XVDs.