Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Harvo's Dlux BAM BAM Axle Special Ops Rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Harvo's Dlux BAM BAM Axle Special Ops Rebuild

Erik sent me a message a few weeks ago to see what I was up to. Pretty cool... nice guy, I buy a lot of stuff from him... really swell of him to check up on me. Said I had been a little quiet and wanted to know how the crawling was going.

Apparently... he had a hidden agenda -

Last edited by Harvo; 03-28-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Harvo's Dlux BAM BAM Axle Special Ops Rebuild

Looks promising, subscribed
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

That is pretty freakin sick. Looks good man.
DeadlySwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Awesome!
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Now that is how you start a new build/rebuild thread yes those Dlux axles are awesome and watching the updates.

Rob
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I had actually planned on leaving the Berg alone because it was doing so well for me this season, but when Erik mentioned something about helping him with a project, there was no was I was going to say no.

Things that are changing in this edition of the Special Op's Dlux...

Most noticably... I'm going from 4lbs 1oz to 3lbs 10oz or so.
I can't be exact because of an unexpected motor issue. I couldn't mount the Conflux motors because the mounting holes in the cases are for standard 4 mounting hole motors. The Conflux are smaller and have only 2 holes. I couldn't get the pinion close enough to the gear, so I put in some Brood 40T I had while Erik is making the changes to the case. Just an extension of the adjuster slot is all it needs I think.

Another change is the rear axles. I'm going from RC Axlemasters 6mm axles to Dlux fatty (but ultra light) rear 8mm axles. The lockers that came with the axles are smaller than my RC Bros as well.

Obviously the biggest change is the axle cases. I had Dlux tubes on my Berg Cases, now I have the Carbon fiber and Delrin cases that are much slimmer where it counts and lighter as well. The mesh of the gears is spot on. The new cases sound much better than my aluminum cases. I was able to move my servo back and will be able to change tie rods to one with much more clearance. I set the caster exactly where I want it but haven't secured it yet, as I want to make sure.

The link mounts are totally different than what I have had before. Not what I would call sexy... but definitely phallic . They give much more adjustability than I had before in the front and the rear, however the special ops chassis design limits me to the bottom 2 holes on the front mount.

Assembly of the cases and axles wasn't too bad. I looked at his pics in the original thread and matched what I saw. I ended up assembling the first one 4 times from having to go back in for something I forgot. Pinion depth and mesh is set while the case is apart. There is an upper mount screw that goes through from inside too. Figured that out the 3rd time I assembled it . All in all though, I can do it very quickly now. It is much faster to get apart than an XR10 axle.

All I'm waiting for now are 8mm hubs and I'll be shooting video.

Another change is my knuckle weight system. I had Big Ron's under the knuckle weights. They worked great but took up a lot of space. They actually limited my steering a bit.

What I have now are Klabeaume under the knuckle weights. Much slimmer and sleeker. I haven't assembled them yet but I will have some pics of those soon.

Issues:

Last comp I was upside down trying to right the truck. In the process it cut out once or twice then came back. I think maybe the FXR button hit a crossbrace in the chaos... but I'm troubleshooting that.

Erik built in his battery mount to the new front case. It's a great mount that I used for a season or two. I had to switch because my ops doesn't offer enough space between the uppers and lowers to fit a battery and flex. The issue is that the tab on the case for the battery mount touches my chassis just before full flex to that side. I will likely cut of the little corner of it to remedy that... while leaving the rest so I can use the mount as designed if I switch to a different set up.

I am really anxious to get these new cases on the rocks. Erik asked me to run the crap out of them and that is what I intend to do. I will be practicing a lot for ECC and these axles will be on the Ops for that event.
Attached Images

Last edited by Harvo; 03-26-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Sexy! Looking forward to watching it come together.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post

Apparently... he had a hidden agenda -
A fantastic driver who does the best build threads and has great attention to detail? No brainer!

Quote:

Most noticably... I'm going from 4lbs 1oz to 3lbs 10oz or so.
With no weight? I find that hard to believe.

Quote:
The link mounts are totally different than what I have had before. Not what I would call sexy... but definitely phallic
I knew that wouldnt take long They were not built with that intention but I rolled with them anyhow.

Quote:
Erik built in his battery mount to the new front case. It's a great mount that I used for a season or two. I had to switch because my ops doesn't offer enough space between the uppers and lowers to fit a battery and flex. The issue is that the tab on the case for the battery mount touches my chassis just before full flex to that side. I will likely cut of the little corner of it to remedy that... while leaving the rest so I can use the mount as designed if I switch to a different set up.
Yep. The mounts are there if you can use them and need them, if not, they are simple to chop off.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #9
TSK
Shelf queen

Can't wait for my set to arrive! They say "lucky I live Hawaii" but I will have t odisagree on this one...

And thanks for the great little video. I was hoping to see one on your Sudu, but these axles are way cooler than any sporty build.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #10
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
So is 3lbs4oz with or without weights on the front? I'm impressed fo sho. Mine isn't going to get anywhere near that. (not sure why)...

But I'm at 4lbs and about 10oz with superlight motors CF wheels, shaved claws, drilled gears, Ti links, smashed FXRs, and axial knuckles. That is with knuckle weight though.

The only other place I think I could lose weight is by gluing my tires and losing the inner rings.

What else you got?
Like I said in your thread, I find it hard to believe that you could be that much. Stubs and I are pretty close to each other. About 1.5oz off and I think we have a decent idea of where that extra fat of his is...

Delrin hubs in the rear will lose .5oz off a typical hex/hub setup. With your AL ones that you will have, they will be heavier until I get you some parts.

I am also wondering if the Bully universal setup is lighter? Again, stubs is running the Delrin hubs in the front (-.5oz) and I am guessing they Bully uni shafts could be as much as 1oz lighter? I will try and get weights on this.

Just the above could be 2oz off your car, another thing I saw in your build is the wire your using? Is it somewhat heavy? I know Stubs and I are running 20g with much success. Maybe thats worth an ounce or so?

I think the FXR are heavier? I would like to check those weights too.

Your ops is light, right? Approx 2oz?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

Damn it. Now I have to spend more money.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #12
TSK
Shelf queen

I did lose about 40g going from full Ti links (hodgepodge of AL and steel balls) to a full AL link setup with AL balls.

Are you running SS or Al hardware?

Also, 18awg at a minimum on the wires.

4lbs 10oz just seem ridiculously heavy. My truck was at 4lbs 8oz with just turned down back tubes, SS hardware, Shaved sedonas and motors with AL endbells.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Damnit Harvo, you guys are killing me!!!!! Looks great man, and they couldn't have went to a better guy Can't wait to fondle these at ECC, watch out
Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:04 AM   #14
RCC Addict

What does one of your wheel/tire/foam setups weigh?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:12 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
4lbs 10oz just seem ridiculously heavy. My truck was at 4lbs 8oz with just turned down back tubes, SS hardware, Shaved sedonas and motors with AL endbells.

Whoa there now.... I never said it was 4lbs 10oz. I said it WAS 4 lb 1 oz and now it's 3 lbs 10 oz. Three Ten or so.

EVERYTHING is light and small. Wire is 16 and 18. The Tekins are decased and the brass posts are removed. Hardware is steel.

Like I said... there aren't 5 more ounces to shave anywhere to get to Stubs weight. Maybe 2. Maybe 3 if I drop more knuckle weight.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:21 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Whoa there now.... I never said it was 4lbs 10oz. I said it WAS 4 lb 1 oz and now it's 3 lbs 10 oz. Three Ten or so.

EVERYTHING is light and small. Wire is 16 and 18. The Tekins are decased and the brass posts are removed. Hardware is steel.

Like I said... there aren't 5 more ounces to shave anywhere to get to Stubs weight. Maybe 2. Maybe 3 if I drop more knuckle weight.
Haha!!

In my thread, the one Erik quoted in here, it says 4lb 10oz. I was wondering how it was that heavy? I don't think I could get mine that heavy if I tried. 3lb 10oz makes a lot more sense.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Erik, what do your rear axles weigh? I know the axle masters are pigs in comparison, so i should be able to drop the difference off the knuckle weights up front. I haven't done that yet.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:57 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Just threw a pair on the scale for ya. 0.6oz!

Wow

Old 03-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

You've got aluminum bodied shocks...aluminum preload adjuster nuts...and you said you're running steel hardware right...do you have steel everywhere still? I looked through your old thread and it looked like you still have it everywhere...if so that's a pretty sizable chunk of weight. What about your rod ends...aluminum or steel balls? Obviously you're running SLW hubs...they haven't been lightened at all yet either and they appear to be 725 or larger...of course DLux delrin hubs wouldn't require this. Steering...are you still running the 3/16" Chaotic tie rod? Drop that for aluminum now that you can use a straight one...or go with 1/8" Ti What about your rear lower links...are they the larger links that Nick was building or are they 3/16"?

Didn't stubs thread say he wasn't running knuckle weight at first? I know it's hard to get out of your head...but remember knuckle weights are not "required". You just have to work on moving your balance point as far forward as you want by moving other items around.

Erik...I cussed myself recently for deciding to build an XR and having 2 comp rigs...now you're going to make me "have to have" 3 of them

Last edited by ittybitty; 03-27-2013 at 09:22 AM.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #20
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
You've got aluminum bodied shocks...aluminum preload adjuster nuts...and you said you're running steel hardware right...do you have steel everywhere still?

Erik...I cussed myself recently for deciding to build an XR and having 2 comp rigs...now you're going to make me "have to have" 3 of them
You wont have to have 3. Just 1

Yeah, those AL SCX shocks can be deceiving. When I was debating Big bore vs. SCX in another thread we figured out that an AL SCX turns out heavier than a modded Big bore.

If you still have steel in the chassis, that is a decent amount. About .5oz

AL 3.2oz

Steel 3.7oz

I also weighed some wire for you. 3' is about what I have in my car so that is what I weighed. I dont have any 16g sitting around, just 20 and 18

20g 6g

18g 11g

I also found that a 300 CVD is really close to a Bully Uni so we can rule that one out.

Harvo's Dlux BAM BAM Axle Special Ops Rebuild - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Special Ops now YTown Double Agent Berg TEDROCKZ EnRoute Berg 199 11-19-2013 04:17 PM
Bam ava! ADDICT Testing 1 2 3 5 10-29-2010 12:35 AM
bam bam hardhead Chit Chat 0 09-13-2008 08:34 PM
anyone fro the flint, Lapeer, Mi trying to find rm25x,shrek& herzog-racing bam-bam et scootertrash Michigan 7 06-20-2008 02:12 PM
who here watches viva la bam? ILoveRCRockCrawlin Chit Chat 6 12-08-2005 04:47 PM