Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: DLUX Knuckles for EVERYTHING !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default DLUX Knuckles for EVERYTHING !

Now that the cat is out of the bag...

I have some pictures and some experience with a new Dlux knuckle / weight system from Dlux Fab.

I have had mine on the truck for a few weeks now and have about 20 (at least) batteries through them at 2 different comp locations and my back yard rock pile.

First... what they are:

They are knuckles that bolt on to any chub, and they are made of delrin, aluminum or brass. They have bearings for the king pins instead of bushings, they have two options for oversized knuckle bearings, and they have a weight system built in. They can be used with Dlux unis (bully or XR) and 300 cvds. They can be 8 degree or not.

Next... why they are cool:

I am using the Delrin version. The knuckles are big and beefy and the bearings at the kingpins eliminate all slop. They are made for almost maximum steering out of the Dlux unis and act as a steering stop to prevent binding from over-steering. The coolest part is that they are the knuckle weights.

The weight system:

Obviously, if you choose brass or even aluminum then the weight is mostly in the knuckle. No extra stuff required.

Delrin doesn't have the weight on its own. So in the lower part of the knuckle, there are pockets for derby weights. The face of the knuckle has threaded holes where the Dlux knuckle weight ring holes are. A brass ring... or half ring will hold in the derby weights. For more weight, you can use the thick brass ring half, and for even more weight you can use full rings.

Erik also sells steel rings. These can be added under the knuckle and each half steel ring weighs in at 2.5 ounces.

So if you are confused... the pictures will explain it all. They show the progression of adding weight and at the end... the king pin bearing.
Attached Images

Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: DLUX Knuckles for EVERYTHING !

The way these things are designed, you can get almost 11 ounces of weight all underneath the centerline of the front axle. That's just crazy.

I'm not using that much on my new truck, but here is a pic of how I have mine configured. I have the 8 degree with ax10 chubs. All my added weight is under the axle and slightly to the front of it.

Everything clears the 3 piece wheels I am using and my track width is still only 10.75 in front and 10.5 in the rear. I also switched to the bully style stubs when I did this, so now I can use delrin hubs with no wheel nuts to get loose.

Like I said, I have run these a lot in a short time and they are working out great. The weight being so low makes a pretty significant difference when on a side hill. Erik was really cool to work with again too. Being some of the first ones, there was some fitment issues to get figured out...but he nailed it. He makes zero Ackerman steering arms for them as well, but I have not installed those yet as the ones I am using are pretty much the same.

I'll put some more pics up pretty soon in a new build thread. There will be some other cool products from Dlux and a few other great vendors in that
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
E.Y. Designs

These are really cool I love the idea... What is the maximum amount of steering the knuckles are capable of? I'm thinking I might have to pick up a set of the delrin ones to try on my Sporty build...
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

So sick.
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
These are really cool I love the idea... What is the maximum amount of steering the knuckles are capable of? I'm thinking I might have to pick up a set of the delrin ones to try on my Sporty build...

Dlux can tell you the angle, but it's the same amount I was getting with the wraith knuckles.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Very nice write up Harvo on the knuckles and explaining them . Erik has done it again on a fabulous top notch product that he has come up with . Thanks Erik for the great product .... I can't wait to run them myself ...

Last edited by ax10tn; 12-04-2013 at 08:21 PM.
ax10tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
RCC Addict

These are so cool. I saw them earlier in ittybitty's thread and was like flipping sh!t. Haha. I and many others have pondered with the idea of a knuckle with a weight system like this and one that could fit any chubs but both in one! You could only dream about it. Well dream no more!
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Oh yeah baby! Way cool Erik. Sweet design. Fat Forward is how we crawl.
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

They look like the knuckles I made for my super.

I'm loving the built in weights on the delrin ones
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
Fifth dimension

I love seeing new stuff from Dlux. A universal knuckle is genius.
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
The way they come off my mill, they are good for approx 60* which is about as much as anybody is legitimately getting. This will provide an awesome steering stop for you. If you are somehow getting more angle than that (maybe with some non zero ack knuckles or something), you can easily dremel the knuckle where it hits the chub and get as much as you want. Pretty custom. A tiny bit of grinding right there will gain a lot of angle, quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax10tn View Post
Very nice write up Harvo on the knuckles and explaining them . Erik has done it again on a fabulous top notch product that he has come up with . Thanks Erik for the great product .... I can't wait to run them myself ...
Thanks man! I cant wait to get your set back to you! The learning curve on making these has been brutal! Not only was it tough to make a product, but to have a product cover just about every single stub shaft, 8* and non 8* in those stub shafts and have them all be able to fit just about any chub...... my brain hurts.

Very cool write up Harvo! You covered a lot of the basics and saved me some time until I get a vendors thread up.

Since this is in the Berg section, I will say this for the Berg guys....how will this effect the Berg world? For the Berg guys, I think it will mean a lot because there are lots of different types of Berg shafts. Berg inner with Berg stubs, Berg inner with Axial stubs, 300HD that use a Wraith type stub, Bully outers etc., etc,.. Now, with these knuckles, you can make anything you want.

If you have super 300s for Berg inner and Berg outer, youre pretty screwed. You can run a high clearance knuckle which really messes with the ackerman. If you were in this spot in the past, you pretty much need new shafts and new knuckles to get out of this situation. With these new knuckles. Now you can get correct ackerman and you can even run 8* if you want. Keep it non 8*, switch back and forth, whatever.

If you have super 300 for axial/berg, youre in a much better spot but if you want 8*, you have to get new shaft and knuckles again. Not now with these knuckles. Just buy knuckles and youre done.

If you have 300 HD's and you hate 8* but love the shafts. Now youre knuckles and chubs away from non 8*.

I think there are some ideas and we have made some pretty cool knuckles already. Harvos are bad ass because they can add so much weight on the bottom only. Ittybittys XR is bad ass because its the first non 8* XR that I know of. I will have to show my super knuckles, worked out sweet!

I think we have only touched the tip of the ice berg on possibilities and I am excited to see what everybody else comes up with. I can pretty much make any outer shaft work with any axle as long as it works with your locker. Possibilities are endless!
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Harvo touched on the subject but I would also like to add that any arm that the Wraith knuckles can use, these can use. This is nice because there are starting to be so many options for these knuckles.

VP wraith arms are nice because they are short and allow a ton of throw with out zero ack, which is nice sometimes. They also have racing ackerman.

RC bros has what looks like a nice longer version arm

Crawling Calvin had some, I am not sure if he still does?

I am making mine, which I like because they are the longest possible arm to still get a lot of steering and the most possible servo strength all while keeping zero ackerman and super amounts of strength the way they are secured.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I have had these on a rig for a couple weeks now as well.

I am running the all brass version with a steel ring underneath.

These knuckles worked great and allow for maximum steering and I also did the GIANT bearing mod on this rig.
I know that the owner of the rig will beat the rig to death and never check anything until it breaks.
Now I don't have to worry about him wearing out bearings so fast or having to tighten wheel nuts all the time(because there aren't any)

I love these so much that I will be getting them for my own personal truck and replacing my current knuckle weights, even though there is absolutely nothing wrong with my current setup.

I'm glad the cat is finally out of the bag.... Maybe now I can finish a build thread
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I like it. Great innovation again from Dlux!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
McTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:03 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Im stuck in that berg inner berg outer 300 spot. If i would of known i would have had you throw these on and not got the other weights. lol How long till we can order a set?
ubbb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:29 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Thanks man! I cant wait to get your set back to you! The learning curve on making these has been brutal! Not only was it tough to make a product, but to have a product cover just about every single stub shaft, 8* and non 8* in those stub shafts and have them all be able to fit just about any chub...... my brain hurts.

Your welcome . I can't wait to receive them . I can only imagine what your brain is saying to you after the hrs and hrs of all the brain boggling thoughts that went into these . But most of all you succeeded so it all pays off in the end . Harvo's and itty's both look awesome .
ax10tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:38 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Awesome. More parts to figure out how to pay for. Thank Erik!
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Great write up Harvo...I really like the Tungsten weights in the knuckles
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Which is heavier, WC loaded Delrin or solid brass?
House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
ULTRA CUSTOM FABRICATION

Aww, finally I can tell everyone how bad ass these knuckles are.
I was lucky enough to get the first test set of brass.(thanks D). I am running these on my berg, but the real heavy duty testing has come on my ultra4 car. I have been running these for a couple months now with zero problems.these knuckles and bearings just laugh at our 600 gate ultra races. After 2 races and countless hours practicing and testing. The bearings are showing zero wear. Which is a blessing to someone who was replacing knuckle bearings monthly if not more..

Once again THANKS D fn awesome product!!!!. It was a pleasure working on these with you.
Wheels7 is offline   Reply With Quote