Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Formula Offroad

Notices

Thread: Formula CJ7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Formula CJ7

Well there's been talk of hill climbs, mud racers, formula offroad stuff lately.
I say WHY NOT?
I' like to have a combo of stupid wheel speed and torque but at the same time don't want to stray too far from the scale side of things.
This is my goal

I have this cool little CJ7 body as my launching point. Ordered a wack of goods this week to get my drive train started. I'm not sure if I'll use my VXL setup or not, we'll see when I figure out my final gearing.

This will have a full tube chassis and cage to keep things sturdy and help with the confined spaces I'll have to work with.

A few shots of the body before I get cutting.
UNGLEWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I just blew up my VXL ESC the other day, back to Texas for repare/replacement.
I picked up a 5700 Brushless Castle the other day. There's a wide variety of motors to choose from around here that the 2:1 transfer case I'm using will see everything from an 80T -8T until we get it nailed. I just hope the case holds up to the stupid stuff we'll do to it, time will tell.

Here's the body with the floors ripped out

I'm trying to figure out my wheel and tire combo. I'm thinking I'll have to widen a set of 1.9 wheels 1/2" or so, then reduce 2.2 sand paddle tires so I can keep the width but still have them look scale.

I had this idea to cut the spokes out of a set of these Hilux rims leaving the simulated beadlock area. I'd then cut these in half and glue them to a set of hummer wheels. That's all my mind will allow at this point.

Any suggestions for wide 1.9's that look like my reference photo?
UNGLEWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:14 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

This will be cool something a little different
The tamiya grasshopper had similar tires, you can propably get them from towerhobbies but I think they are too small:-(
I will be watching this
MoParmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:22 AM   #4
MWRCA'er

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLDX7&P=Z

If they are the proper size, I'd maybe look into modifying a set of TLT wheels to get the look you want. Not sure if they would work diameter wise. I know tamiya mini wheels are about 1.5's. Might also be able to pull them over some 1.9 rims or do some careful tire cutting.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The real size of those tires is 21 inches wide with a 15 inch wheel I think. They are what we run on our jeep for the hill climbs in Mass. Gonna keep an eye on this build for sure.
xjwalt666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLDX7&P=Z

If they are the proper size, I'd maybe look into modifying a set of TLT wheels to get the look you want. Not sure if they would work diameter wise. I know tamiya mini wheels are about 1.5's. Might also be able to pull them over some 1.9 rims or do some careful tire cutting.
I had a set of these squeezed over 1.9 rims. They looked OK but if I did it again I would buy a couple more and do a cut and shut with high lift side walls.
I can't wait to see what this comes out like. I've always wanted one but never gotten around to building anything.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote