Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Formula Offroad

Notices

Thread: Which brushless combo is the best for a FOFF project?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Which brushless combo is the best for a FOFF project?

i am starting a FOFF(formula Offroad) project soon, and the plan is a brushless combo. but i havent used any brushless kits before, and i need some tips.
DONT want the best brushless that is. something with much for the money but still quality!
Somew links would be nice

the car i going to be runned upp hills in sand, dirt and dust. and i will also have something that i can just play with on flat places and go pretty fast with just to change gear ratio.

to you who dont know what FOFF is, heres a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLPcsu61lJc

hope you can help me

thanks
Thomas,
Norway

Last edited by bjerk1; 04-14-2009 at 12:45 PM.
bjerk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

have you thought about a cobalt 7t with a two speed tranny? Thats a brushed set up but makes great power for what your talking about.....if I was building a truck like that which I want to do one day thats what motor ill use....go to this link and watch the video of the rock racer it has great speed range. plus with a two speed tranny you wont have to do any gear changes just switch gears

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=17&page=1
p3ripperfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3ripperfw View Post
have you thought about a cobalt 7t with a two speed tranny? Thats a brushed set up but makes great power for what your talking about.....if I was building a truck like that which I want to do one day thats what motor ill use....go to this link and watch the video of the rock racer it has great speed range. plus with a two speed tranny you wont have to do any gear changes just switch gears

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=17&page=1

hmmm, looks cool, bu i have no radio (yet) that could change gears or something like that. I am using a Kyoshi Inferno 7.5 SP3 1:8 Nitro Buggy as startingpoint. I am going to buy an electric conversion to this car. so i think a One gear (stock) i enough really. Thought i also wanted to try BL when i am already is going to do something like this since i have never tried it.

Cool engine, this could maybe be something for my axial later on.sounds cool and thansk for the tip
Old 04-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
RCC Addict

buy a MMM combo , http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...7&cat=6&page=1
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGRESSor View Post
looks cool. Do i have to use 2 batteries? or just one... which Li-Po do you sugest?
Old 04-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Im pretty sure the transmission is manually shiftable by hand...if I had known you were starting with a certain truck then I wouldnt have recommended that thought you were starting with a fresh build
p3ripperfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3ripperfw View Post
Im pretty sure the transmission is manually shiftable by hand...if I had known you were starting with a certain truck then I wouldnt have recommended that thought you were starting with a fresh build
thats ok. thought about getting one for my axila, so thabks anyway
Old 04-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

hh is haveing a sale on the mmm with the 2650 combo for 225. with that setup you wont ever run out of power EVER!!!!!
some87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

It will depend on the scale of the vehicle. If you want stupid power for just about any rig, the MMM combos are insane. A sidewinder combo would be a cheap setup for a smaller vehicle.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. pee pants View Post
hh is haveing a sale on the mmm with the 2650 combo for 225. with that setup you wont ever run out of power EVER!!!!!
yeah, i dont know yet. seems like the mmm is a very good combo, but the price cant compare to the sidewinder combo.

but do you think with the mmm combo, do i need two batteries? or just one pretty good one? coluld you sugest a Lipo for me? please from the same site, so i can order at the same time. thx
Old 04-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #11

I dont keep lipos for large scale conversions in stock. Way too much variation in builds right now.

You can certainly run a single pack. The MMM system would run very well on 3 or 4s. I would choose a 4000mah 25c pack at minimum.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

well since the mmm is made for monster trucks it would work good for just about anything thats big or needs lots and lots of power. lol these are some cheap lipos and i have a friend that uses them and doesnt have any problem with them other then they discharge a little different so just need to use a balancer more often

http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-7-4v-3000mAh-...3%3A2|294%3A50

or even these

http://cgi.ebay.com/2x-3000mAh-35C-1...3%3A1|294%3A50
some87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Don't buy those lipos, they are from Hong Kong for Christs sake, you are fueling an already enourmous fire when you buy from China. It does not help our cause at all if you buy chinese garbage....
ohmyCLOD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

hmmm, okey. now im confused :P someone says this, other says that... should i choose some quality lipos then? much higher price, but its propably worth it?
Old 04-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmyCLOD! View Post
Don't buy those lipos, they are from Hong Kong for Christs sake, you are fueling an already enourmous fire when you buy from China. It does not help our cause at all if you buy chinese garbage....

Just curious. Are you in Norway too?
P1choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #16

Near all lipos are from china. Some have better Quality control than others.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

buy zippy flight max lipos. THey are the best for there price. Get the ones that are 30c 40c burst.

hobbycity.com

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8588

that one example many more on the site
d-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Near all lipos are from china. Some have better Quality control than others.
Very true, American, Japanese, Russian, Chinese, ... all made in Taiwan.

To get best bang for your buck I would also recommend the Mamba Monster/ 2650 motor combo. But I think you'd be ok with the Sidewinder/ 4600 or 5700 motor combo, mostly because you're doing a short run and will have time to allow it to cool if it should start to get hot. Just keep in mind that if you go with the 5700 motor on the Sidewinder, you can only use up to a 2 cell lipo.

I'd also recomend at least a 25c lipo, minimum. For FOFF I'd go for a 30c or 35c and save money by getting one with less mAh, maybe in the 3k range. That way you could get some good strong punch.
crazy_kanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_kanaka View Post
Very true, American, Japanese, Russian, Chinese, ... all made in Taiwan.

To get best bang for your buck I would also recommend the Mamba Monster/ 2650 motor combo. But I think you'd be ok with the Sidewinder/ 4600 or 5700 motor combo, mostly because you're doing a short run and will have time to allow it to cool if it should start to get hot. Just keep in mind that if you go with the 5700 motor on the Sidewinder, you can only use up to a 2 cell lipo.

I'd also recomend at least a 25c lipo, minimum. For FOFF I'd go for a 30c or 35c and save money by getting one with less mAh, maybe in the 3k range. That way you could get some good strong punch.
the lipos are to be used on a 1:8 Nitro buggy with electric conversion kit. so its not really that small...
Old 04-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmyCLOD! View Post
Believe it or not, not everybody on the Internet is American!
ejej is offline   Reply With Quote