Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Formula Offroad

Notices

Thread: im gonna build a FOFF slooooowly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default im gonna build a FOFF slooooowly

Ok so i went to NC (Corrolla - outter banks) and just got back.
I enjoy my ax10 but not on the beach.. i know salt sand isnt good for these trucks.. with that aside..i thought about it..

im wanting a fast beach sand blaster.. we go to NC every year and other beaches all the time...

this lead me to thinking... axial exo... nice and fast...but looking through these threads I see many many scx framed FOFF trucks... i know you can use anything you want and even create something on your own frame wise...

wondering what would be better as a base... wraith, scx10 or exo?
what are your thoughts...

few upgrades on my current truck left me with some extra parts to start with...

19T motor
ae-1
upper/lower links/tierod and steering (ok i know i can make more allthread but for the cheap dime up and running i could use these)...

im looking for more of a is it better to start off with a kit or just flat out get parts or what...

i need 2 axles, trans, shocks, frame, servos, tires so mainly a full vehicle. I saw people selling axial exo's for $225 RTR... hmmm so im in the thinking stage..

i know this post is all over the place but i see people running 3s mainly... any reason why not to run more 4,5,6s??? i dont know anything bout lipos yet!!!!!

Last edited by RootBreaker; 07-30-2012 at 12:25 PM.
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
I joined the Band!

Default Re: im gonna build a FOFF slooooowly

go figure.. i got evo on the mind.. not exo... my bad!!!!
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Lightbulb Re: im gonna build a FOFF slooooowly

Running anything with independent suspension (especially in the rear), ie EXO, Slash 4WD, etc will have people telling you that it isn't a 'real' FOFF but rather an EXO, Slash 4WD, etc with paddles.

If you don't care what people think , then go for it. IMO you will wind up with a better handling beast.

IMO the Wraith is the best place to start if you want to pick something up that is already half way to a traditional FOFF.

Me - I like the idea of a couple of axles, a trans, and making a frame/links/etc to come up with your FOFF. In fact, that is exactly what I'm doing
Dukk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Outter Banks is the best. Hatteras here in 2 weeks. With hopefully my finished FOFF.
Have fun with it. Just know that if you go past 4s your going to need to bring EXTRA PARTS. Lol

Nothing like a empty beach and all those dunes. Lol
shwng1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I used my wWaith as a platform and it does pretty well, i also have a monster Slash 4x4 with a Mamba monster 2200 but the Wraith is much more easy to drive and controllable, and because the Wraith comes with spooled diffs it can climb pretty much anything without needing an stupid amount of wheel speed as the Slash needs, also considering that the slash has much smaller tires compared to the 2.8 sand Paws the Wraith have
Pabust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

In my opinion the only reason a solid axle (at least rear) vehicle will do better is because with proper suspension geometry you get a lot more traction. Independent suspension cannot transfer the rotational forces of the drivetrain into pushing the tires into the ground. Now IRS works good on RCs, but it will always spin a lot easier than a solid axle.
Erock is offline   Reply With Quote

im gonna build a FOFF slooooowly - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where the Foff am I gonna foff build ctrwannabe Formula Offroad 8 11-30-2012 07:37 PM
gonna start over and build another champ198 General Crawlers 0 05-18-2012 08:28 AM
getting back in and gonna build a 2.2 discgolferlee General Scale Talk 7 12-28-2010 07:07 PM
Whos gonna build me one jason Chit Chat 23 07-15-2007 12:44 PM
Gonna Build A Scaler! TonkaYota Newbie General 16 04-01-2007 08:02 AM