Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Formula Offroad

Notices

Thread: Water Skip "Attempt"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Water Skip "Attempt"

"attempt" is the key word.. Needs a better runway.
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

how about all 4 tires are paddle tires like the 1 to 1's do.
wheelinjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Since the Rustler is a RWD, putting paddles on the front would be detrimental because they would just drag through the water, causing more friction and making it much more complicated to get the vehicle to hydroplane. In this scenario, where the front wheels are undriven, putting skis on the front is actually the best thing that can be done - it creates the highest level of surface area with a slick surface, which allows a lower overall surface pressure against the water and makes it easier for the water to support the front half of the truck at speed. This is very similar to the swamp buggies that do this kind of hydroplaning in 1:1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADovhUcaZpo

As for the OP, if there's any way you can get the ski to angle up slightly, you will have a better chance of getting the tips to not dip under the surface upon entry which would just pull the vehicle under more quickly.
Rudukai13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:03 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Need more speed
I can skip water with my slash on 3s with ridglines tires, just get it up to some speed (good amount), before you hit the water, floor it. though I do have 50 or so feet of runway before the water (when it rains.)

Last edited by Hvrc; 04-16-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Hvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:30 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudukai13 View Post
it creates the highest level of surface area with a slick surface, which allows a lower overall surface pressure against the water and makes it easier for the water to support the front half of the truck at speed. This is very similar to the swamp buggies that do this kind of hydroplaning in 1:1:

Actually they don't really try to hydro plane, that's why their tires are so thin, its for cutting through the mud at the bottom and connecting to the hard packed dirt underneath, so they can get traction and all that
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:26 AM   #6
TSK
Shelf queen

What if you put regular stadium truck style ribbed front tires, and make sure they are sealed with no venting? This will allow for some added buoyancy and still provide a bit of steering control, plus you can probably achieve a much higher entrance speed into the water as the tires will roll as opposed to the skis dragging on the surface?

Last edited by TSK; 04-16-2011 at 12:05 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I think you need more speed... I did something like this with one of my old gold pan rc10. you need to get the flatest spot you can to enter the water and dont ever let off the gas. I also had wider skies.. It only went about 15ft before I got dunked.... lol I did it so long ago I dont even think I had an esc and made the paddles with a bald set of tires and hot glue gun.. Good luck with this..I would love to see you get it skippin, cars today are so much faster than when I tried it.

Can you get some pics of the setup so.
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Looks like your skis aren't made to hold the tips up, in which case they probably just get pulled under water.
StreetKill831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
Actually they don't really try to hydro plane, that's why their tires are so thin, its for cutting through the mud at the bottom and connecting to the hard packed dirt underneath, so they can get traction and all that
they are trying to hydro plane the thin tires act as rudders note the skis on the bottom of the suspention and the way they sink when they get out of the throttle only the jeep class runs on the bottom
muddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I'd put stadium truck tires back on teh front, and try again. i bet it will start working then, since they won't get pulled under and since they're round nothing to cause a big slap and always a smooth surface. most of the stadium truck skipping involves normal tires, not skis.
jettrooper02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudukai13 View Post
Since the Rustler is a RWD, putting paddles on the front would be detrimental because they would just drag through the water, causing more friction and making it much more complicated to get the vehicle to hydroplane. In this scenario, where the front wheels are undriven, putting skis on the front is actually the best thing that can be done - it creates the highest level of surface area with a slick surface, which allows a lower overall surface pressure against the water and makes it easier for the water to support the front half of the truck at speed. This is very similar to the swamp buggies that do this kind of hydroplaning in 1:1:

As for the OP, if there's any way you can get the ski to angle up slightly, you will have a better chance of getting the tips to not dip under the surface upon entry which would just pull the vehicle under more quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post

I think what your looking for is like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apvJp...D25B54062BF825

Tires don't dig they skim.
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
RCC Addict

in the begging of the vid the paddles are on backwards. did you try it like this in the vids?

they need to go the other way
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

unless you swapped your tires around, you have them on backwards. May give that a try
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
Scale Detail Engineering

A few years ago on the Traxxas forums, people were using rear paddle and anaconda front tires... and a lot of speed!
Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wNb9Clb_0M&feature=fvsr

Last edited by johnnyh66; 04-16-2011 at 02:53 PM.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
in the begging of the vid the paddles are on backwards. did you try it like this in the vids?

they need to go the other way
Yeah I caught that before I tried it out. I just needed more speed. It was the only water in the area, and something done on a whim. Next time I try it, Id put springs to pull the ski's up once it hit the water and would find a better run way. It was worth a shot though. ;)
Old 04-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #16

go faster!!!!!!!!!!!!
lil_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddawg View Post
they are trying to hydro plane the thin tires act as rudders note the skis on the bottom of the suspention and the way they sink when they get out of the throttle only the jeep class runs on the bottom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
I think what your looking for is like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apvJp...D25B54062BF825

Tires don't dig they skim.
Again your wrong, go on to netflix and type in wreckreation, does an entire episode about this sport, and what they do, those tires aren't meant to be rudders, if they were they wouldnt have the tractor style tread on them, they would be more smooth........So again, they dig not skim
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:09 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_mike View Post
go faster!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was trying..haha.. Its a hay field and not the smoothest, so it was hard to just keep it on all 4's..haha.. Like I said it was a spur of the moment deal. We just happened to drive by some water
Old 04-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

rustler? 2 wheel drive? ski's?

isint this the FOFF section? i was really hoping to see a foff rig, not a stadium truck.
ax10newguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

me to..but good try
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote