Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Formula Offroad

Notices

Thread: tire compound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default tire compound

what is better for what surface? the way i see it, you'd want the harder compound for sand and loose dirt and softer for a more rock filed hill but i'm not positive that i am taking all factors into account. also, what about snow? snow would build up in either but i'd think it would be worse with hard as the softer rubber would flex a little allowing the snow to break free.
am i right or am i missing something? what do you run?
moron88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moron88 View Post
what is better for what surface? the way i see it, you'd want the harder compound for sand and loose dirt and softer for a more rock filed hill but i'm not positive that i am taking all factors into account. also, what about snow? snow would build up in either but i'd think it would be worse with hard as the softer rubber would flex a little allowing the snow to break free.
am i right or am i missing something? what do you run?
A lot of things will alter how a tire performs. Also, how you select a tire will alter due to where you live.

Average temperature, traction type and surface will alter how you as a driver choose a tire.

Now, there is no specific compound for a specific surface. like as you mentioned "harder compound for sand/loose dirt and softer for a more rock filed hill". This is why companies that produce tires create different tread patterens for different model tires. take for example, Hot bodies rovers (soft compound), these tires are great when it comes to high traction rock surfaces, but wont be as great for smooth rock. However, Panther tires (for got the name, soft compound) will hook up better on smooth rock, but not as great on high traction rock surfaces, due to how the manufacter made the tread pattern. But i will give you credit, you are essentially on the right track. Basically, like a rule of thumb.

I didnt notice at first, that this was in FOFF, but in Sand, paddles are your best friend
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:55 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

around here a lugs is your friend (dirt and weed hill faces). i was more or less looking for what people had discovered that challenges traditional thought.
moron88 is offline   Reply With Quote