Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Formula Offroad

Notices

Thread: My "FOFF" keeps breaking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default My "FOFF" keeps breaking

I keep grenading the spider gears in the diffs. I run open diffs to help keep the shafts from snapping, but they still do. I have gone through 3 spider sets and 2 shafts.

This is my set up: VXL on 3s, IMEX Puller Dawg tires, Emaxx trans, WK axles Maxx shafts and yokes.

Help is appreciated
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
RCC Addict

In my opinion it is really due to running the open differentials. Being that the spider gears are what is giving up. I would suggest locking the differentials and getting some HIGH Quality shafts to take the abuse. Honestly, it is a FOFF rig. Even the 1:1 break under serious use.
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRV KRAWLER View Post
In my opinion it is really due to running the open differentials. Being that the spider gears are what is giving up. I would suggest locking the differentials and getting some HIGH Quality shafts to take the abuse. Honestly, it is a FOFF rig. Even the 1:1 break under serious use.
You must be new. There are no High Quality shafts around anymore.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
Scale Detail Engineering

I believe the MIP shaft's are strong enough for FOFF.

Also, the Puller tires are 5.5"? Most of the paddles are a inch shorter than that so that's adding a lot more stress to your drivetrain turning those tall tires... you'll get more top end but a lot more stress during launch.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:25 AM   #5
TSK
Shelf queen

Maxi shafts.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:59 AM   #6
Official Cook of the ECC

Don't think he is talking about breaking driveshafts guys. He states he is running Maxx shafts.

Sounds like he is breaking axle shafts in those WK axles.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Gula
I know what you need
Losi LST2 hubs and drive shafts

Morten
SnoopMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I would use smaller wheels, But that's what I have here with me. Terrain is kind of rough so I need large tires. It's not just a foff rig, I jump with it a little too. No 15' launches though, same as in foff 3-4' jumps onto medium soft terrain.

Well I'm limited on what all I can do. I have no Servo mount so I glue my servo to the axle with shoo goo and it holds just fine, but evertime I have to tear into the axle I have to remove the glue. I have a little over half a tube left. Already gone through 1.5 tubes. It's flammable and no one will ship that here.

I have installed the HPI lockers and again snapped one of the rear axle shafts. I'm getting tired of this and now have no more spare shafts left. Came with 4 extras here. Now I only have enough to get the rig back up.

I have MIP shafts, but again they are at home. This rig was supposed to be a "rock crawler" but I changed it over to a Foff/basher since it's too dusty to crawl here and no rocks to crawl on.

I'd love to do the LST2 CVD's but have no real tools here, just basic stuff. Also on the rear of my axle I have done the PVC axle lockout. No more C's and really dont feel like spending the $35 for the STRC kit not knowing how durable the shafts are. I have one of the STRC kits but it's at home, and I'm here in Afghanistan.

I was going through maxx shafts in the rear too. The shiny metal yoke would get so hot it would melt the plastic or burn your fingers if you touched it. Now has been fixed by running revo shafts and yokes in the rear.

Trust me If I was home I would have just swapped to Twin Force axles, but I'm not. Having my wife ship anything is a hassle. I've asked her to send me my emaxx about 1.5 months ago and she stil hasnt shipped it . I've asked my neighbor to grab stuff for me but my wife is "busy" and cant/wont open the garage for him to rummage through it for me.

I have come to the realization that the HPI mini DT and WK are just not suited for out here. Maybe my slash and emaxx will do a little better, if they ever get here.

Last edited by Gula; 10-27-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:30 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

ease off on the throttle when your rig is fixn to land and bite hard..
or run a axial tranny with a slipper.
i run 1 on my foff rig and it does help soften the blow when those paddles hook.

just on a flip over in the 1st video i posted,i popped a rear driveshaft..
2nd time out i had mip's on instead of traxxas shafts and blew front tranny output,cause i was on the throttle pretty hard and it landed and the paddles bit hard and "pop" goes the tranny.

the paddles have more surface area to bite or hook,so when they do
or are fixn to just a quick backing off on the throttle,and then back into it
will help.
it takes practice and listening to the motors "pitch" of sound in operation.

hope this helps
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP View Post
ease off on the throttle when your rig is fixn to land and bite hard..
or run a axial tranny with a slipper.
i run 1 on my foff rig and it does help soften the blow when those paddles hook.

just on a flip over in the 1st video i posted,i popped a rear driveshaft..
2nd time out i had mip's on instead of traxxas shafts and blew front tranny output,cause i was on the throttle pretty hard and it landed and the paddles bit hard and "pop" goes the tranny.

the paddles have more surface area to bite or hook,so when they do
or are fixn to just a quick backing off on the throttle,and then back into it
will help.
it takes practice and listening to the motors "pitch" of sound in operation.

hope this helps

I have a slipper in there. its a maxx tranny 1st gen, although its sinched down pretty tight. I always let go of the throttle while in the air, only give it a little go or brake if it's about to land rubber side up.

We'll see. I may just pack it up and send it home, wait for my other stuff to get here.

Trust me If I had the loot I'd buy the 300 CVD's, some unbreakable rear axles, and some gunnar toobs and slap on some Axial axles, but that's almost $400 just in the axles. I do not have that kind of money and this rig is not a dedicated FOFF.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:05 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

All my problems have been resolved. SnoopMaxx to the rescue
Old 11-01-2011, 07:23 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Never had good luck with wheely king axles. the dog bone breaks off far too easily. My friend has one that run a axial 27 turn from axial on a hpi esc and reciever with Nimh so low power. Snaps atleast one every time he drives it. and he isnt hard on it.

id go for a different axle.
OntarioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
Fan of wheelspeed

I've got a WK based FOFF and the only prob I have had with my WK axles is the rear ring/pinion breaking teeth. I put in a set of Savage gears and have not had any problems since. Granted I don't run LIPO, but I bash mine pretty hard. Hell, I even let the wife drive it and all shes does is try to make it pop wheelies by going from reverse to forward at full throttle. The WK axles are cheep and easy to repair.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

What diff gear do you have ? The stock one ?

Old 11-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopMaxx View Post
What diff gear do you have ? The stock one ?

The MT2SS hardened ones: TowerHobbies.com | 86336 HPI Racing Heavy-Duty Final Gear Set P1x38T/P1x13T
And this: TowerHobbies.com | 88073 HPI Racing Differential Locker Spool Diff Hub (2) to lock the diff
Old 11-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

That diff gear is hardened ..right

I'll have to redesign the rear spool ..no worries
Old 11-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Is the pinion shaft on that set still 6mm?
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopMaxx View Post
That diff gear is hardened ..right

I'll have to redesign the rear spool ..no worries
Yes it's the hardened version

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
No it's 5mm. The pinion and shaft are one piece, and it slides in from the inside of the axle. It's not like the sintered, savage, or stock.
Some of the older hardened gear sets dont have a through hole through the end of the pinion shaft, just a flat spot. Those were the 1st gen MT hardened gears.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:44 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
It's only the outer part of the stock shaft that are 6mm
The bearings are 5x11x4 .....Those bearings are not that strong to begin with and can contribute to diff failure

I replaced mine with Traxxas rubber sealed bearings after the 3rd diff gear striped

Gula
How's your bearings holding up ?

Morten
Old 11-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Holding up just fine. Mine are blue rubber shielded from mobearings on ebay. I have only had 2 go bad in over 7 years and 400+ bearings (35 rccars)

My buddies Stampede 4x4 bearings are not doing so well. He's already seized 2, one 10x15 and one 5x11. The dust out here is as fine as flour and chews bearings and bushings to crap fast. All brushed motors that are not sealed like brushless motors with bearings or bushings only last for about 5-10 packs before they are shot. Now it has been raining, so it's ok to drive those again without much worry.

Last edited by Gula; 11-03-2011 at 12:42 AM.