Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Formula Offroad

Notices

Thread: FOFF Build Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

Default FOFF Build Project

Hi Guys,

1st i wanted to say hello.
I have been trolling this forum for a while now and i have come to the conclusion i want to build an foff rig.

A little backgorund on me, i have been in RC for a little over 27 years, pretty much seen and done it all.
For last 5 or so years i have been heavily involved in the 1/5 scale scene, custom builds, unique builds based on the HPI Baja platform....

well long story short, the foff scene peaks my interest, after reading damn near every thread in this section i have decided to go for it...

I would like some insight and suggestions from you guys. i am laying out a basic outline below of what i would like to do for this project , any and all input is much appreciated.

My basic criteria/ outline if you will :

1) i am a go fast, 1000 mph , hair on fire kinda guy

2) i like Big toys, hence the last 5 years...

3) Budget ,i would like to keep this project under $ 1000.00 ( nice budget i know.. lol )

4) i would like to do an independent suspension set up, most of the stuff i have seen is straight axle though ???

5) bullet proof drive train

6) i like the looks of the BWD Whiplash 14.5, but again i like Big, so if there is a bigger platform i would love to see a few links.
i have seen the RC4wd 1/5 set up but a bit concerned about speed and drive train component limitations.

well i guess thats a good starting point for now, again please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance
irp racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: FOFF Build Project

Well, My first question to you is, who makes a 1/5 scale 4 wheel drive vehicle?
If your serious about making a 1/5 scale FOFF, I would start with what you know. I have no knowledge in the 1/5 scale class. Better yet, a 1/5 scale vehicle with a IFS and a solid rear.
4 wheel drive is imperative in FOFF, along with weight bias. Mill it over and post up. This way we might be more helpful in the answering of your questions.
I hope this helps.:mrgreen :.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #3

Whoops , i could have been a little clearer , sorry about that.

I'm not really wanting to do a 1/5 scale for this project , just wanting it to be a little different or a unique build.

As to the independent suspension aspect, not a must , just throwing it out there , if the straight axle is the way to go to be bullet proof thats the way i'll go.

I am a noob in this side of the hobby so any and all info and input is welcome...if you guys need more info from me dont hesitate to throw it out there.

i guess i should add this will be more for sand drags, mud racing , and general bashing

Thank you for the reply.

Last edited by irp racing; 11-10-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Oh, sorry for the confusion. If your looking for a bullet proof driveline there are many options.
#1, all metal gears in the trans and axles.
#2, alloy or aluminum trans case and axle housings.
#3, MIP drive shafts. These are the best available in my eyes.
#4, high torque bl motor and minimum 3 cell capable esc.
#5 light weight wheels to reduce extra rotational strain on motor/esc.
#6, if your planning on doing level high speed runs with out climbing hills, then I would keep ypur body as far forward as possible. When you go with an extended wheel base, you should extend the rear past the body to give the front end more of the weight.

I hope this info makes.sense and helps you.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

One more question for you, have you seen any of the videos of our rigs in action?
That will give your a better idea of what they are capable.of and might give you ideas of the direction you want to go.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #6

thanks for the reply and info.

i have watched many vids here on the forum and youtube.

what really got my attention was the water skipping and some of the sand and mud runs... some of the hill climb vids are insane as well !

as to drivetrain components i have been looking at the VP and RC4WD housings and all of the internals and externals so far.
i haven't gotten to the trans. so any guidence there would be appreciated.

On this build i would like to go all aftermarket components and assemble, i have learned over the years its generally cheaper in the long run to go with the best aftermarket parts, than buy the stock units and then end up piling up pull off parts in a box in the " land of i'll do something with them one day "...

the electronics i have a handle on as i race FE Boats, mainly large Outriggers and Hydros, been building and racing the boats for a little over 3 years, i did big gassers before FE , but the green police have pretty much ended that deal.

Last edited by irp racing; 11-11-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I would suggest the Axial Ax10 trans with Rodinson Racing metal gears and the 1 piece output shaft. As for the alloy housing I went with HR. STRC & Axial make them also.
Another way to go is a 1/8 scale buggy/truggy center diff or if you have enough space a Revo trans.

As for the wheels and tires, I'm using proline beadlock wheels made for the Slash, tires.are PL sandpaws. If you look in the tire thread near the top of this section, you'll see other options.
Good luck on the build.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Oops, forgot to mention the alloy axle housings, I got mine from GH Racing.

FOFF Build Project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where the Foff am I gonna foff build ctrwannabe Formula Offroad 8 11-30-2012 07:37 PM
Project...day off foff... J-FAB NOR-CAL Formula Offroad 13 11-13-2011 11:15 PM
FOFF project JonU Formula Offroad 7 06-01-2011 05:47 AM