Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Formula Offroad

Notices

Thread: Wraith vs Exo Terra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Wraith vs Exo Terra

Getting ready to start my next project and I want it to be a Foff I narrowed it down to these too. My brain says get the wraith my balls say get the exo. Heres what I've gathered from reviews and threads.

Exo pros
- faster
-better high speed handling
-handle jumps better
Cons
-its IFS so doesn't seem as scale to the real rigs to me
- durability seems a lot of upgrades are needed from what I read
- harder to work on
- I haven't seem any around my area to look at

Wraith pros
-more durable
-straight axle so it looks more like the real rigs I've seen vids of
-seems to be the more popular build platform so there's lots of info
-I've already driven one
- more durable ?
Cons
- seems bouncy and top heavy at high speeds
- doesn't look like its a jumper

I want to build as fast a rig as I am but still have something durable and as scale as possible. What do you guys think is the better platform ?
xCoolHandLukex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wraith vs Exo Terra

actualy alot of 1/1 sand rigs are ifs. i bet the exo is better in the sand out of the box then the wraith

the wraith is amazeingly durable im running a brushless motor with tons of power on 4cell and havent broke anything yet.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

then ur vary lucky i was running a 3s in my scx out of a vxl slash and i granaded my axles. now my vxl set up is in my exo and it works great!!! :P
arcanecrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

My buddy and I both build FOFF rigs recently, my a Wraith and him a EXO.
The EXO striped all three diffs on the first outing running Novak Ballistic 550 4.5. Done all the upgrades possible and it still keeps spitting parts running 3cell.
sure it is plenty fast and very stable, speed runs and jumps!

My Wraith running Castle 7700kv with Hobbyking 120a esc with only the C-hubs and Knuckles and links upgraded to Alu. And the Wraith out climbs the EXO.

The only thing I keep stripping is spurs and pinions, but that is not the power but the sand getting in.
The other part that was breaking was the rear drive shaft, replaced only the rear with MIP and now it's sorted.

The Wraith Is a bit unstable in jumps and at speed very bouncy, but I got away around this by moding my suspension, now it's super stable at speed and not bouncy at all and she flies very well to.

My buddy is now thinking of selling his EXO and getting a Wraith.... Just saying...
Charel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I own an Exo, do not own a Wraith.

I have too much money tied up in my Exo to even smile about it right now lol. Its a very fast car, but it is not the strongest. I have STRC everything, with a VP motor mount. I havent broken hinge pins or carriers like most guys have, but some issue or another always keeps from finishing the packs I bring for it to the track.

I wont bore you with all the details of my ownership of the car, but being the owner of one and having watched vids of what you guys do to these FOFF cars, I say go for the Wraith and mod it to be more scale.

But if you wanna buy an Exo, go for it. I really enjoy mine, but I am trying to realize its limits and without lots of $$$, I dont think it would handle FOFF reliably.
arthurc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I have both actually 2 of each.
If speed and jumping is involved go with the EXO. Setup is key to keep from breaking parts.
If not go with the Wraith.
You could buy both and put the EXO ifs front end on the Wraith.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:13 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr View Post
I have both actually 2 of each.
If speed and jumping is involved go with the EXO. Setup is key to keep from breaking parts.
If not go with the Wraith.
You could buy both and put the EXO ifs front end on the Wraith.
That is my plan to do on my second wraith... think this combo is the ultimate!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 05:18 AM   #8
R_2
Pebble Pounder

I would say depends on where are you going to drive..

Steep sand hills like the 1:1 FOFF rigs, I would go with Wraith.

If bashing and jumping around sand dunes, definitely Exo.

I myself have wraith, and many other guys here also have them for foff comps.. When first wraith hit the hills, seemed that everybody wanted it

And two friends have exos, they have tried it also in steep hills with paddles, but as it is heavier, it buries itself in the sand pretty quickly if you dont keep speed up...

And in 1:1 world they are also similar.. Sand buggies are mostly IFS and FOFF comp rigs 99% straight axles..
R_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_2 View Post
I would say depends on where are you going to drive..

Steep sand hills like the 1:1 FOFF rigs, I would go with Wraith.

If bashing and jumping around sand dunes, definitely Exo.

I myself have wraith, and many other guys here also have them for foff comps.. When first wraith hit the hills, seemed that everybody wanted it

And two friends have exos, they have tried it also in steep hills with paddles, but as it is heavier, it buries itself in the sand pretty quickly if you dont keep speed up...

And in 1:1 world they are also similar.. Sand buggies are mostly IFS and FOFF comp rigs 99% straight axles..
+1
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

i had a exo out in the sand...actual hillclimbing

was to heavy..
skid was too low dragging its belly..causing drag= heat build up in motor
burnt up motor in 5mins
open diffs are crap in the sand..

wraith eats the hills up..
you can keep it lightweight and throw a fast motor in and tear up the hills/sand.

change your tires around for better steering..
proline sandpaws up front...split/staggered paddles
panther paddles in rear...bigger paddles for better launches
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
No idea what I'm doing

When I first saw this FOFF section I thought, "Cool, another scaler build"! For that reason alone, I would not use an EXO.

I have an EXO and it's a total blast, but I plan to build my FOFF as a scaler with straight axles.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
Scale Detail Engineering

I built my foff strictly for performance sand running.

I used scx10 axles with an open front diff, wideners and as low to the ground as I could get it... it handles great!
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Ran a mates Wraith and for bashing i wasn't impressed, neither is he as he keeps using his batteries in my Blitz instead

Sold my Exo after a week, one of the worst RC cars i've owned.
Extremely poor design, did not use all the batteries i'd charged on any of the bashes as it broke each and every time.
Which is not really a bad thing as it's an absolute nightmare swapping out the batteries.

Tested a HPI Apache C1 and liked the design a LOT better, easier access to the battery and for maintenance, only downside i found was the rear was all over the place when travelling at speed over rocky terrain.
Judging by the amount of abuse the bottom on the chassis took my guess is it needs more ride height or the suspension dialling in.

Obviously very few of us drive the same way on the same terrain, but for bashing and driving on trails i think both designs are fundamentally flawed and i would go for the HPI instead.
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I'm going to get both kits. I like the looks and idea of the exo and what it can do better so I'll get that done first. If I don't like how the wraith turns out I can always turn it back into a crawler or trail rig.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:29 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

+1 for wraith.in my opinion i think it's multi-purpose car.....crawler,trail-truck,and can be turned in to a foffer.....ofr me its the best deal.the exo i think is made more for speed,and maybe for some sand races.in my opinion both are great cars,so it worth having them
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke972 View Post
I'm going to get both kits. I like the looks and idea of the exo and what it can do better so I'll get that done first. If I don't like how the wraith turns out I can always turn it back into a crawler or trail rig.
Cannot fault that
Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I had to stop by and read this thread, i just finished building my exowraith, allways wanted a wraith an really liked the looks of the exo, so now i have a ifs frontend with a wraith axle in the rear, gotta say i love it! didnt care for the exo in stock form, very hard to change batterys an overall just wrenching on it, now its best of both worlds, crawler,basher,trail rig,racer,if you can afford both,excellent! i too thought of selling the exo when it was in stock form,but now no way,easily one of the better rigs i own,just something for you to think about.
crawlernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I'm a mechanic by trade and I like working on my RCs as much as driving them so I'm not worried about the extra time needed to work on it.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

I have both and no complaints.....very amazed what a 4.5 Tekin can do in any of the two....! Yes, 3s all day...!
scottanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanthony View Post
I have both and no complaints.....very amazed what a 4.5 Tekin can do in any of the two....! Yes, 3s all day...!
YIKES,, a 4.5 with 3s, man i break parts with my cheapo duratrax element 3900 on 2s,
crawlernut is offline   Reply With Quote