Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What motor and esc for R1 G-Made.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #1

Default What motor and esc for R1 G-Made.

Hi,
I'm an rc-car user and from few days I receive my first crawler , a G-Made R1 Rock-Buggy.

I would ask advice on what esc and motor choose ...

What type of motor, brushless or brushed ? I would like to use R1 only for crawling....

I saw different motors and esc but I'm not sure when choosing:

- Novak Rooster 55T
- Novak Goat 3s 21,5
- Ez-Run 35A + 1200kv B3
- Tekin Fx-R Pro + 55T
- or my favorite Mamba Max Pro + Integy V11 55T

I hope you can give me advice on the choice because I have no experience in Rock Crawling.

Thanks
IMEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Of your list they all are OK except the EZRun.

Are you going to be primarily doing slow speed crawling with it? 21.5 brushless or 55T brushed is very very slow but has more torque and wont stall as easy.

For that truck a 35T handwound brushed or an 18.5 brushless on 3 or 4s lipo is what I'm planning to run when I get mine. Good speed and torque balance. Something about that truck just makes me want to give it some speed.
Knitewulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Mamba or Sidewinder with 35t Handwound is a good option for crawling

I'm running a 3s Sidewinder 17x3, but I've got a cheap Venom 21d on the way, I don't care to use high dollar motors in anything that will see sand and mud.

But I'm crawling fine with 17x3
ripper7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I was thinking the sidewinder had a brushed limit of 27 turn for some reason. Just found out it is 19. It works ok with a 17 then? I might have some old brushed motors I could hook up to my sidewinder and use then, cool. I can't wait to get mine!
Old 05-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitewulfe View Post
I was thinking the sidewinder had a brushed limit of 27 turn for some reason. Just found out it is 19. It works ok with a 17 then? I might have some old brushed motors I could hook up to my sidewinder and use then, cool. I can't wait to get mine!
no, the 19 turn limit means that you can't use a motor with LESS than 19 turns.

and for a crawler, you really don't want anything under 35 turns...
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER View Post
no, the 19 turn limit means that you can't use a motor with LESS than 19 turns.

and for a crawler, you really don't want anything under 35 turns...
Yes I realize that, I have been in this hobby for over 10 years (I bought my Tc3 when it had just come out) and I am about to buy my 3rd crawler.

I was referring to ripper77777's post which he says he has a 17 turn triple on 3s in his on a sidewinder.

Like most people on here I don't plan to use my r1 like a regular crawler. I have my creeper for that. I'm going to use it as a kind of trail racing monster truck like thing that can crawl when it needs to.

Last edited by Knitewulfe; 05-14-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Of your list they all are OK except the EZRun.

Are you going to be primarily doing slow speed crawling with it? 21.5 brushless or 55T brushed is very very slow but has more torque and wont stall as easy.

For that truck a 35T handwound brushed or an 18.5 brushless on 3 or 4s lipo is what I'm planning to run when I get mine. Good speed and torque balance. Something about that truck just makes me want to give it some speed.

Yes, only crawling and low speed.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper7777777 View Post
Mamba or Sidewinder with 35t Handwound is a good option for crawling

I'm running a 3s Sidewinder 17x3, but I've got a cheap Venom 21d on the way, I don't care to use high dollar motors in anything that will see sand and mud.

But I'm crawling fine with 17x3
I never thought to Sidewinder but it's a good advice
Old 05-15-2010, 01:26 AM   #9

I'm thinking of mounting a Mamba Max Pro or Sidewinder and for motor a V11 Integy 45T http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTRC1&P=7

With this motor I can use 3s lipo and I have more power when needed.

Ok ?

I see also Integy V11 85T It will have an incredible torque... for which use is ?
Old 05-15-2010, 02:15 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

If you are using that motor you might consider a sidewinder or an outcry. For a bit more there's the holmes hobbies torquemaster, novak goat 2s, tekin's esc and then a bit more goat 3s and mmpro, etc. The list goes on. The sidewinder will probably need a bec with any servo powerful enough to crawl with. The outcry comes with a 5A bec. I haven't used the outcry though but I can say from experience the adjustability of the sidewinder is very nice. You would probably want a castle link then too so sidewinder+bec+castle link or field link and you are looking at a similar price to some other higher spec esc's if you don't have those extras laying around. It all depends on what kind of versatility you want and if you plan to stay brushed or go brushless
later.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:41 AM   #11

Quote:
If you are using that motor you might consider a sidewinder or an outcry. For a bit more there's the holmes hobbies torquemaster, novak goat 2s, tekin's esc and then a bit more goat 3s and mmpro, etc. The list goes on. The sidewinder will probably need a bec with any servo powerful enough to crawl with. The outcry comes with a 5A bec. I haven't used the outcry though but I can say from experience the adjustability of the sidewinder is very nice. You would probably want a castle link then too so sidewinder+bec+castle link or field link and you are looking at a similar price to some other higher spec esc's if you don't have those extras laying around. It all depends on what kind of versatility you want and if you plan to stay brushed or go brushless
later.
With Mamba Max Pro you can choose from esc directly voltage in output for servo from 5V to 6V.

I have already a castle link because I mount Mamba Monster Max in my E-Maxx. So I think to select Castle system for this reason...

And then mamba max pro is a sensored and sensorless esc and in future I will mount any kind of motor. It's a good choice for versability. Do you agree ?

In a rock crawler is better use a brushed or a brushless motor ? In my others rc-car I use only brushless motor but they reach high speed. In low speed as crawling is not better a brushed motor ?
Old 05-15-2010, 04:28 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i would have to say that typically brushed motors do not have the same cogging as a brushless motor.

i have a Mamba Max Pro, Integy 35t v11, and 1300 3s on my R1 with the stock pinion and it crawls nicely but also has plenty of wheelspeed. if i were only crawling i would stick with this combo. a sidewinder would also be fine.
elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:13 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Actually the mmpro is adjustable up to 7v. The problem is the internal bec is not very good. Supposedly it puts out 3 amps but it's still underpowered for crawling servos. I have 2 mmpros and a sidewinder and love them, but the weak bec's are their drawback. Also if you do go brushless the drag brake isn't nearly as good as a crawler specific esc. My goat with the ballistic 18.5 will break drivetrain parts before the drag brake let's loose.

Sounds like the mmpro would be a good fit for you. It really is the most versatile esc on the market, and it's price is good too. It should come with a coupon for a free castle link or a nice discount on a field link ($10 shipped).
Old 05-15-2010, 05:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbo View Post
i would have to say that typically brushed motors do not have the same cogging as a brushless motor.

i have a Mamba Max Pro, Integy 35t v11, and 1300 3s on my R1 with the stock pinion and it crawls nicely but also has plenty of wheelspeed. if i were only crawling i would stick with this combo. a sidewinder would also be fine.

Thanks for your advice...
Old 05-15-2010, 05:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Actually the mmpro is adjustable up to 7v. The problem is the internal bec is not very good. Supposedly it puts out 3 amps but it's still underpowered for crawling servos. I have 2 mmpros and a sidewinder and love them, but the weak bec's are their drawback. Also if you do go brushless the drag brake isn't nearly as good as a crawler specific esc. My goat with the ballistic 18.5 will break drivetrain parts before the drag brake let's loose.

Sounds like the mmpro would be a good fit for you. It really is the most versatile esc on the market, and it's price is good too. It should come with a coupon for a free castle link or a nice discount on a field link ($10 shipped).
Do you mean that Mamba Max Pro can't put a good drag brake in a brushless motor for crawling use ?
Old 05-15-2010, 05:34 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMEIV View Post
Do you mean that Mamba Max Pro can't put a good drag brake in a brushless motor for crawling use ?
It's enough, just not as strong as my goat. Part of that is the motor too though. That 14mm rotor makes the ballistic alone hard to turn by hand.

I use brushless in my crawlers and if you have the budget for a good sensored crawling motor they are great.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:22 AM   #17

Is it possible to connect Novak Goat esc to pc-software ? and use with it brushed motor ?
Old 05-15-2010, 06:28 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMEIV View Post
Is it possible to connect Novak Goat esc to pc-software ? and use with it brushed motor ?
You can use it with brushed, but not connect to a PC. Anyway I would steer you clear of it mostly because it is only compatible with novak's sensored motors which is just stupid. It really is a nice ESC though, its a shame they made such an idiotic move with the compatibility, and button presses and flashing lights to program the ESC is a pain.

Last edited by Knitewulfe; 05-15-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
You can use it with brushless, but not connect to a PC. Anyway I would steer you clear of it mostly because it is only compatible with novak's sensored motors which is just stupid. It really is a nice ESC though, its a shame they made such an idiotic move with the compatibility, and button presses and flashing lights to program the ESC is a pain.

Are you sure about it only being compatible with their motors? I've not tried it w/ the goat but I have used Novak's gtb w/ a tekin sensored motor. I do know Novak's brushless esc cannot run sensorless motors though.
mulepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:15 AM   #20
TEAM MODERATOR

If your looking for a good set up with a little speed that will crawl as well.....

I would strongly recommend a Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL and a 20t TorqueMaster Pro Handwound

The Holmes speed control has a 6v 5a switchmode BEC built in....no need for an external BEC like other ESC's.

Up to 6s capable.....means lots of fun.

It's speed control beef....plain and simple.

I'm running this ESC and a 20t Holmes Handwound in my rock racer. She's only on 3s right now,but she'll scoot pretty good and crawls really well. I personally feel it's a perfect mix of slow speed control and speed.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote