Droop 15 62.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: R1 - Sprung or Droop?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 12:36 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default R1 - Sprung or Droop?

Hi guys

Now that a lot more are building and running the R1 i guess i can ask this question to get some feedback from your experiences. I'm running mine in droop setup at the moment, the only reason not to tip over at steep inclines while crawling. But noticed that it bellies out a lot then. Would like to hear from you guys, especially from people running it sprung not droop. Does it make a huge difference? Does it tip over easier?

thanks guys

Last edited by adrians3109; 08-02-2010 at 12:38 AM.
adrians3109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2010, 01:09 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

is what ever works best where you crawl. i prefur a sprung setup as its easier to tune, much more control, ive found a lot less wheel hop and axle steer as well, and you arient draggin your belly on every rock

try sprung and droop, note the pros and cons of each and use the setup that suits you and your rig best
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #3

I built mine as a rock racer and have had both droop and sprung. It jumps alot better with a sprung setup. But it all depends on your driving style and what you are looking to do with it.
HURLEYGO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I dont have an R1 but I ordered 2 sets of the shocks and I'm gonna have one set sprung and the other droop. and swap them out depending on the situation
icemancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I have mine set up as sprung. I tried droop with my Boulder chassis AX10 and it just seemed to cause component clearance issues with the TVPs and the front servo. I imagine if you are skilled enough its great but I am not at that point.
DSNF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:19 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNF1 View Post
I have mine set up as sprung. I tried droop with my Boulder chassis AX10 and it just seemed to cause component clearance issues with the TVPs and the front servo. I imagine if you are skilled enough its great but I am not at that point.
IMO drrop sucks on an ax-10, makes them verry unpredictable and takes a lot to get the suspension geometry and locations correct, a "skilled enough driver" would know how to properly tube his rig, there for being able to better drive it and have a better preforming rig, look at all the comp rigs out there, id say 95% are sprung.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

thanks for the feedback guys....seems many are in favour of sprung setup. I just finished changing mine to sprung and even though i have not driven it yet it does not look too bad.....ride height went up by approx 1cm but wont be a flipping issue i think....its more of a plus to clear rocks.

Ideally yes its best to have two sets of shocks i think so you can choose the setup easily.

thanks guys
adrians3109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #8

I also like sprung myself.
Scarface84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
Try to Bend it

I went for droop. I like having a lower COG. on its first test run on the week end the car performed really well. Making some climbs that I thought it would have no chance of doing. Seemed to jump well too.(see my other post for picture)
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote