Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Drivetrain problem with my R1...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #1

Default Drivetrain problem with my R1...

...as title states, i have a drivetrain problem with my R1. Had it outside my house this evening driving around on some pretty tame terrain, certainly nothing that i thought should pose any challenge or cause any breakage.

Was driving over a patch of rough grass that split our house & next doors & got bogged down a little. Managed to get out then noticed that the drive wasn't 100%.

On investigation it seems to have lost the drive on the left rear wheel so it won't climb to any degree & the wheel can be spun freely whereas the other three remain locked.

Before i start the strip down to see whats wrong, can anyone suggest what might be the problem? As i'm still a relative newcomer to RC.

Cheers

Paul.
iheartoldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
Moderator Rule Breaker

Sounds like you lost hex pin. Did wheel wobble when you spun it ?
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Started the strip down this evening, but i don't have the necessary tools to take her apart.

Strangely enough though, when i picked her up the left rear wheel was back to normal but the two fronts were spining, not completely freely but still moving with resistance while the others were locked as they should be. So i started to strip the left rear as thats where the problem started, then when i found i didn't have the correct tools i built her back up again, only to find all wheels were now locked as normal except the right front which can now be moved slightly.

Can anyone make any sense of this?!?

Failing that i think it'll have to be a strip-inspect & rebuild job.

Cheers

Paul.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Give that man a cigar!! I hadn't lost the left rear stub axle pin, it was never there!! I removed the other three wheels & all were missing! What i can't understand is how the gu i bought it from managed to tighten the wheels enough for it to drive without these in place??
Old 08-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Drivetrain problem here too... But a bit different. My rear driveshaft keeps on popping out from the tranny side. I have Mabuchi 540 -sized motor in the truck now and using 3S lipo. Currently waiting for 3200kV brushless motor, so I can't even imagine what happens with it! :(

I'm a bit disappointed for the shafts, but maybe I should just get Junfac/MIP replacements.
tomik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartoldskool View Post
Give that man a cigar!! I hadn't lost the left rear stub axle pin, it was never there!! I removed the other three wheels & all were missing! What i can't understand is how the gu i bought it from managed to tighten the wheels enough for it to drive without these in place??
Probably lost them didn't replace them. I bet the wheels nuts loosen up and pin fell out.

There few a ways to prevent that happening.

1. Check the wheel nuts often

2. Clamp on hexes

3. New wheels nuts with a drop of lock tight
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
Oppan Gangnam Style

The stock hex pins seem to be too hard/brittle. I managed to break all 4 during the course of my first battery charge. They were fine till it fell and landed on the side of the wheel. I always bring spares and replaced them as needed.

So if you think they might have not been installed or fallen out somehow, I bet they broke in 3 pieces like mine did and you lost the pieces during the removal of the wheel.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote