Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: NEWBIE: G1 in The Mail....Need Some DIRECTION/HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #1

Default NEWBIE: G1 in The Mail....Need Some DIRECTION/HELP

OK, I'm an old school off road RC racer. Or old depending on your opinion. I haven't been serious about anything RC since you had to convert RC10s to trucks.

That said, I am just around the corner from Hobby Town, USA in Concord and their crawling track has been calling my name since I was dumb enough to walk in and check it out. I picked up a CR-01 a couple weeks ago and thought I'd start with that. Well as you all know scalers and comp crawlers are apples and oranges. I like the CR-01 and will keep it for messing around at the park and camping, but I want something more "comp".

So what did I do? I ordered an R1 with the dig after reading literally every single thread and post in this section. I want to order the hop-up goodies ASAP. So far I am looking at (with a couple questions):

Hop-Ups:
-R7R's front and rear axle plates
-R7R's skid plate (short or long? What's the performance difference?)
-R7R's Lower links
-JunFac Servo saver (do I need this?)
-JunFac Axle skid plates
-JunFac Aluminum adjustable link mounts
-Aluminum C-hub carriers 7-degree
-Aluminum knuckle arms
-Heavy duty front steering rods
-JunFac ZERO 105mm shocks

Electronics:
-Spektrum DX3E and SR300
-Can I run an Associated SC200 DSC?
-HiTec 645MG
-What Servo for the dig?

OK, my BIG questions are about motor, ESC and batteries. I want to run my R1 in comps at Hobby Town and need help on a good place to start. I won't really be bashing it. Pretty much strictly crawling on their courses.

Like I said I'm old school and it looks like there have been a TON of advances in battery and motor technology since I last paid attention. After reading all the threads the responses to motors seem to be all over the place.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

P.S. If you're a hot rodder, yes I'm KIRK! from the HAMB.

Last edited by KIRK!; 08-11-2010 at 12:25 AM.
KIRK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

LOL rc10 into trucks...me too. I actually still own (still runs fast) the orignal rc10t I bought when I was staioned in Hawaii in 1990. LOL I am new to this crawling thing to. I think the truck you bought is really cool. I like that look. I will tell you what I have learned on this site. First and foremost everyone has an opinion on what is best for this and that. Boils down to what you can justify and what you think will work. I know for sure that I have not heard of anyone using a servo saver. So dont get that. I read a very good thread on this site about batteries. The guy that wrote it is spot on IMO. He is in the battery business and knows his stuff. Here is the link A few Crawler battery buying tips basically the old nimh batteries are still great batteries for crawling and for just getting back into there are some precautions with using lipos. Also i read an article on brushless motors vs brushed motors and basically brushed motors still seem to be the way to go. But I dont remember where I read it at. As far as ESC control I like the tekin fxr around 100 bucks. there is one from castle creation (sidewinder) that is less expensive but not by much. I am still running a stock esc in my rs10 but I am going to have to change it cuz i just ordered two 540 45t for it and not sure the speedo can handle them. So I gotta decide which way to go of coarse cost will play a factor unless I can wait a few more weeks. You can also get a saddle pack and mount three cells on one side of front axle and 3 cells on the other side. There is a link someone on that I think it was on maxamps website for axial saddle packs. amphour size will depend on how long u want to run. So go with a 45t to 55t brushed motor I dont think you can go wrong. Holmes hobbies and brood motors seem to be the most popular/quality driven ones that I have seen. However Novak still is hanging around from back in the day. Novak has the rooster esc in a crawler series but price wise right in line with tekins fxr. Lots of rambling huh? good luck man. welcome to the sickness.
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK! View Post
OK, I'm an old school off road RC racer. Or old depending on your opinion. I haven't been serious about anything RC since you had to convert RC10s to trucks.

That said, I am just around the corner from Hobby Town, USA in Concord and their crawling track has been calling my name since I was dumb enough to walk in and check it out. I picked up a CR-01 a couple weeks ago and thought I'd start with that. Well as you all know scalers and comp crawlers are apples and oranges. I like the CR-01 and will keep it for messing around at the park and camping, but I want something more "comp".

So what did I do? I ordered an R1 with the dig after reading literally every single thread and post in this section. I want to order the hop-up goodies ASAP. So far I am looking at (with a couple questions):

-R7R's front and rear axle plates
-R7R's skid plate (short or long? What's the performance difference?)
-R7R's Lower links
-JunFac Servo saver (do I need this?)
-JunFac Axle skid plates
-JunFac Aluminum adjustable link mounts
-Aluminum C-hub carriers 7-degree
-Aluminum knuckle arms
-Heavy duty front steering rods
-JunFac ZERO 105mm shocks

OK, my BIG questions are about motor, ESC and batteries. I want to run my R1 in comps at Hobby Town and need help on a good place to start. I won't really be bashing it. Pretty much strictly crawling on their courses.

Like I said I'm old school and it looks like there have been a TON of advances in battery and motor technology since I last paid attention. After reading all the threads the responses to motors seem to be all over the place.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

P.S. If you're a hot rodder, yes I'm KIRK! from the HAMB.
Hey are you from Concord NC?
Steve Hipsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hipsley View Post
Hey are you from Concord NC?
Nope, but I do visit there once a year.

Concord, CA.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
Try to Bend it

I run a HH 500 puller in mine with a CC sidewinder and 1600mah 2S lipo. The wheel speed is great and is nice and torquey at low speed. there is also great finger control between fast and slow. Also the sidewinder has a myriad of programmable features like the 213% drag brake amongst others.

Which ever way you go don't pick a motor that is too big. you will have a hell of a time fitting it to the truck if at all. with the length of the 500 puller it was still a squeeze. with the motor plate pushed as far back as the stock holes would allow and the tranny pushed as far forward.

Last edited by Highlucks; 08-10-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #6

Good stuff so far. Thanks!

Over 100 views and only a couple responses?