Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: r1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default r1

iv been looking at the r1 and i think its cool heres a list of upgrades i would do would it be a good comp in all most any situation in stock or need upgrades

heavy duty steering
ajustable link mount
ajustable upper link mount
dig
skid plate
steel shafts
bent links and axle guard

Last edited by asw27x; 09-06-2010 at 02:28 AM.
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
Try to Bend it

I am not sure that an R1 will ever really make a great comp crawler. It could be a good sports man but it will never be as good as the axial's and losi's out there. If you are looking for a car to have fun with then this is it. they are great as a rock racer and they do crawl well when they are set up right but they will be left behind by the others on the tuff stuff.

As for your option list then I would not worry to much about most of it except the dig, junfac shafts and the adjustable link mounts.

have a look at ripper7's skid, and bent links they are a far better option than the g-made gear as aluminium will tend to get hung up a lot more often than delrin.

Last edited by Highlucks; 09-09-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

just asking.... but why do you say that the R1 is not up the AX10 level? I've seen quite a few AX10s crawling and i think the R1 is not any less capable. Only drawback that i can think of is the wider axles to pass through gates but then its a plus in other sections.
adrians3109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
Try to Bend it

From my experience of owning both and trying to maximize the performance of both cars. There are a few things that stop it coming up to par with the ax10.

-Wider track is no real issue because I run my SSS at a similar width to the R1.
-There is far less steering with the R1
-The R1 spends a lot more time on its roof than the axial
-Plus the after market options for the ax10 are almost endless, and offer improved performance as apposed to same performance with increased strength.

Don't get me wrong I really like my R1 But if I added every after market option available for it. Including dig, adjustable link mounts, Ripper777 skid and links, and all the other parts. It would still never come close to the performance of my SSS AX10.

Up until now with the release of the XR10 there has never been a truly ready out of the box comp crawler. Inevitable you end up upgrading most of the stock parts to improve performance. Here is just a short list of things to upgrade on the AX10 for better competition performance that are not available for the R1, to the best of my knowledge.

Under and over drive gears.
multiple different 4 link plates
higher grade components for dif and transmission
high steer knuckles that offer greater steering angle
the ability to narrow the chassis and still be able to fit the motor and tranny comfortably

And the list goes on,These are not listed in order of importance but just as they came to mind.

Last edited by Highlucks; 09-09-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:40 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i totally agree with highlucks .... the stock R1 chassis does tend to like roll overs ..... even in droop set up ...... if you want it to perform as well as the axials then you have to do something drastic like i did and change the whole set-up just keeping the axles and tranny to work with .....

it is a great basher and a lot of fun to learn with in stock form but a little hard to read on the rocks in terms of where you will want to change and adjust in performance ....

i learned that then and only after i converted my R1 and was able to do a direct comparison ......

as for the quality of the stock parts and gears .... im still happy with em and havent really broken anything yet .... and im running on 3s!

and yeah .... the aftermarket options for how you want your axials set-up is bottomless .... as for the R1 ... its more of a trial and error see if it will fit kinda thingy if you decide not to get from Junfac ......

R1 as a basher and rock racer ...... "YES"

R1 as a comp crawler ..... "YES" .... if your ready to spend the same amount on options which will come about the same cost of the R1 kit and spend time in customizing conversions and all that to get your specific driving requirement

cheers
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:31 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

ok i got your point now....

from my side what i can say is that last year i managed to compete against modified ax10s with the only thing i had available...a stock scx10 chassis with losi wheels and tyres....was not up to them but did equal on a couple of occasions...it was purely for fun. Now i have the R1 which i'm hoping it will be on same level with the others.... from the little crawling i did so far it performed quite good with very few rolls or flips (partly due to the amount of weight added to wheels, skid plate and front axle).

...really looking forward to see how it will do in our local comps where i can really compare head to head
Old 09-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Well it will definitely out crawl an scx10 that's for sure! I've been wanting to build me an R1 for a while now...what electronics do you have on yours?
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

...on mine i have a novak rooster with 55t motor and a 3 channel spektrum radio.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:56 AM   #9
Try to Bend it

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
Well it will definitely out crawl an scx10 that's for sure! I've been wanting to build me an R1 for a while now...what electronics do you have on yours?
Check one of the 2 or 3 threads asking this very question.