Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Yep, it's another R1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #1

Default Yep, it's another R1

Been lurcking for awhile, figured I would post something. My friends got me into this sport, dam them. Anyway, I started with an RC4WD Worminator. After many issues with it I started looking at other crawlers. I wanted something that could crawl well, and look "kinda" scale. Not going for a total scaler just yet. Anyway, I ended up with the G-Made R1. I have to say I love it, works well out of the box and seems to be getting a bigger and bigger parts following. Anyway, on to the photos.

Axle build

Opted for the aluminum front knuckles

Stay tuned for more.

Cheers,
Casper
CasperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #2

Ok, with the axles done it's time to move on to the chassic. Again, quality is great with this kit, and the instructions are extremly detailed and easy to follow.

As you can see, I also opted for the dig unit.

Next, it was on to the trany. Unfortunatley I was getting excited, so there aren't many photos.

And a shot or two of the links attached to the axles.

More to come later.

Cheers,
Casper
Old 09-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #3

Surprisingly we are almost done......ish.

Starting the final assembly

And pretty much done with how it sat if it's first stage, minus shocks.

With shocks

More to come...

Cheers,
Casper
Old 09-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

pretty cool, how do you think the dig will hold up to the brushless
spyderwebbcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #5

So far it has held up well. But then I am new to all this, is there a problem running a brushless with a dig unit??

Cheers,
Casper
Old 09-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #6

And a few shots with the body panels on. I had planned on a really cool paint scheme with Red (to match the shocks), Gold (to match the wheels) and Black. Unfortunatly I totally messed it up. When I laid the tape down to paint the black strip I did not get it into the "bent" area's of the panel. So it ran really bad, and upset me so much I just pulled all the tape and now have a "stealth" look. Oh well, live and learn.

So, no that it was together I started testing it out. Works pretty well. Even with the battery mounted high and on the back, the breakover angle was not that bad. However, the TT was really bad. Even though I hate the look of the battery on the front axle, I decided to move it there to help add weight to hold it down better. I also didn't like the servo mount. It only uses 2 mounting points on the servo to hold it. As I found out avoiding Porthos and hitting the tire on my big rock crawler, thing break when only using two mounts instead of 4.

So, time to make a battery plate and new servo plate. Started with parts from my Wormer.

Old mount:

New plates:

Works really good. Of course, since I changed the battery position, pretty much all the electronics needed to be redone to fiut and look good.

Works much better this way. There is however still quit a bit of TT. I went ahead and ordered the long skid and lower arms from Ripper7. (thanks, exactly 7 days after the order they arrived, woohoo) These new parts are top notch as well. I did run into a problem though. Looks like the lower arms were designed for an R1 without dig. With the dig unit you need to mount the upper arms on the outside of the body. This make them "almost" to short. With the extra length in the Ripper7 arms the back end no binds quiet bad. This will be an easy fix though, just need to get some new upper arms. I may be wrong, but I don't think the dig unit was out when Ripper7 made his arms, so I don't blame him at all. His parts arm top notch.

No pics of the new setup yet, maybe tonight.

Let me know what you think, and I am always up for suggestions.

Cheers,
Casper