Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gmade R1 and Axial Warith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #1

Default Gmade R1 and Axial Warith

If running as a rock buggy (13T below Brushless) , which one is better ?
CERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

can't tell you Axial Wraith has not come out yet...
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Well no-one can tell you what the Wraith is like, but i can tell you a R1 with ca 9T brushless and a 16tooth pinion is pretty quick, and its not too stable on grass/dirt even with heavier weight oil in the dampers and axle wideners (13mm). Don't get me wrong its a bloomin' hoot, but without a diff its not the most stable when cornering, especially if you try to get on the power !.

The crossover of a rock crawler and a rock racer - i'm not sure you can actually do both from one chassis, not without lots of mods to further distance the two ends of the spectrum.

I'd hazard a guess the Wraith is a better layout for modding, and access to the central chassis area should be a lot better, because lets face it, the R1 is a pain in the butt when it comes to swapping motors/pinions and fixing body panels !
Percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #4

I'm waiting for the Wraith to come out just so we can have an answer to this question. I have been watching the videos of the Wraith and also the R1 trying to figure out which one I will get. The Wraith never really seems to be shown doing any serious rock crawling, but I have seen the R1 hold its own on the rocks. I love the looks of both and am set on one or the other mostly due to the looks, but I can't decide. I want something that is a VERY capable crawler, but I don't like the looks of the AX10, Losi Comp Crawler, Night Crawler, or any of that type. I'm not really looking for fast bashing. I can do that with any one of my other trucks (2 emaxx's, Losi 8ight-t, Slash).

Can anyone speculate at all on the Wraith? I'm dying for more info.

As for the R1, I know that it has it's issues, but after a few mods, it works great. Is the steering really that horrible from the start? My hope is to buy the R1 and throw in my RX and servo, and then buy a motor and speed control and call it a day. I'm hoping that I will be able to crawl decently from there and upgrade later. So everything will stay stock for a while. Will I be disappointed with the performance? I wish I could see a stock on in person. Anyone want to mail me theirs?
Navtrtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:10 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

The turning circle with 2WS of the R1 isn't that good, but for racing/bashing its just about enough. The Wraith may be better, but bear in mind the axles are wider than other Axial products.

As to which is better, i'd check whether the Wraith comes with any form of diff, whether mechanical or fluid. The Wraith has an option for anti roll/stabiliser bars that the R1 doesn't. The R1 is pretty capable, but all those videos of it being thrown around on its roof aren't far from the norm when it gets a hot motor.

Reading a preview article in one of the magazines, Axial stated they went for a suspension design that was capable for racing as well as crawling, so whilst it looks very crawler oriented you may find the reality is for serious crawling it needs some alternative shocks and a few tweaks - hardly an issue for most posters here !

Last edited by Percymon; 05-23-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navtrtl View Post
I

As for the R1, I know that it has it's issues, but after a few mods, it works great. Is the steering really that horrible from the start? My hope is to buy the R1 and throw in my RX and servo, and then buy a motor and speed control and call it a day. I'm hoping that I will be able to crawl decently from there and upgrade later. So everything will stay stock for a while. Will I be disappointed with the performance? I wish I could see a stock on in person. Anyone want to mail me theirs?
I finished my R1 a couple of weeks ago and its a great little truck as stock. Mine only has a 27 turn silver can in it and its great for light crawling whilst still having enough vroom for rock racing. I bought a 35 turn motor but I didn't use it as I'm afraid its going to be too slow. I think the R1, without mods, is really suited as a good little all rounder. I'm going to try out Tamiya's dirt tuned motor in mine. Its a tuned 27 turn motor so should have a slightly better performance, both with speed and torque, than a stock silver can.

The steering radius of the R1 isn't great but its not so bad it'll spoil your enjoyment of it. I will at some stage put the 4WS set up in mine I think. I may also at some stage increase the wheel base of the truck just to give it slightly more stability. The R1 is quite a small little truck. Its not surprising its not very stable with a fast motor in it. You may also want to change the tires. The stock ones are all right for general purpose bashing but they could be improved. I even found Tamiya's stock CR-01 tires were slightly better when fitted. They're certainly a lot smaller. The stock R1 tires are a bit to large I think. Doesn't help with the turning radius problem.

The Wraith does look like a fantastic bit of kit. It'll definitely be my next purchase. I think it has great potential for scale modding.

Last edited by mobias; 05-23-2011 at 06:26 AM.
mobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

WTF IS A Warith ?
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
Try to Bend it

This is just a guess but my guess is the axial parts will be able to withstand more of a beating than the R1. Specifically in the drive train.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #9

Since I first saw the Axial Wraith, I said I just had to have it. All was right with the world and I was happy reading about it and watching videos of it. Then all heck broke loose and I found the Gmade R1. I can't stand the wait. That Wraith needs to hurry up and come out so someone can do a comparison and I can decide which one to get. If I had the cash, I would buy both and fix up both, but I can't do that right now. I tend to lean towards the R1 more for looks, and performance. I know the after market support for the Axial will be much greater so I tend to want it due to it being the "SAFE" bet. But man that R1 is bad. Maybe I should just do a custom build with the portal axles and the R1 frame. I think I'm going nuts.

On the up side, this place rocks and thank you all for answering my questions.
Navtrtl is offline   Reply With Quote