Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: upcoming r1 build advice and thoughts please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #1

Default upcoming r1 build advice and thoughts please

Ive wanted a r1 for a while so ive been thinking of an ideal setup for myself
good torque is needed as well as wheel speed...id like a capable crawler with a slightly scale look...heres what im thinking to start
gmade r1 rock buggy
r2 2speed dig tranny set for rear dig
novak timbuk2 13.5t brushless system
steel drive shafts
triangulated lower links w/ delrin skidplate
cvd axles up front for better steering angle/strength???
I can use up to 6 channels on fsgt3b so i will add 4ws at a later time
i have not chosen servos yet for the tranny or steering
i will prolly get by with stock tires for a while because this is a very expensive build for me

I have researched a good amount so i kinda know what to expect but i
still have concerns:
not enough wheel speed or torque
breaking tranny gears or axles with brushless
how to mount the battery low & up front
not being able to fit the tranny with both servos
so if anybody has experience, thoughts or know for sure im gonna have trouble please chime in
pittqwodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
Dam
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: upcoming r1 build advice and thoughts please

Hi Mate
Welcome to rccrawler. You'll love the R-1, its a great rig.
As standard you get a 12t pinion(from what i remember) I got 14t(which is recomended by junfac for a 23turn motor) and a 17t pinion. I notice a big difference in top speed with the bigger pinion but i wouldn't mind a bit more.... You can get bigger sized pinions but there isn't much room to get a bigger one on the tranny. The motor gets in the wayof the cage, You'll know what i mean when you get one. Mines running a 23 tz motor and set up as a rock racer.
Not to sure about breaking tranny gears or shafts yet. Mines been fine, the only think i have broke is a CC sv2 and 3 cell lipo, bummer.... Everythings standard. You could get junfacs hardened universal shafts, which are bomb proof.
Junfac also do a battery tray for the axles but i haven't used them. So i can't comment on how good they are.....
As for tires, iget shut of the standard ones, they are crap. You'll notice a huge difference for crawling when you change them. When i got my first crawler the first thing i changed was the tires. It transformed it into a mountain goat, It got up climbs you would never think of trying before.....
When you make the shocks, use ptfe tape (plumbing tape) on the threads of the shocks. It will half stop any hint of a leak.
Enjoy your truck.....
Dam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #3

thanks, I plan on ordering r1 soon
Old 04-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Is that the Rc4wd r2 tranny?
RustenPaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #5

yeah its rc4wd but the gear ratio's are way different so i dunno if i can do it...think itd be really cool though
Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #6

You MUST get new tires. Stock are garbage. Seriously, other things can wait if you are on a budget, but not tires.

So far my I have had 2 weak spots:
1) the stub axle pins. They cracked after first crawl run. Easy replacement with Traxxas part #2754 at $.99 .
2) barrings. The 850 size (5x8x2.5mm) lasted about 10 minutes. At least the outboard ones in the knuckles. Debating on whether to go with new barrings from VXB ($15 for 10) or going with TRA3775 which are the equivalent bushings made by Traxxas. Also it is worth noting that A Main Hobbies sells the larger 1150 size (5x11x4mm) in their own brand for only $10 (ProTek R/C 5x11x4mm rubber sealed "Speed" clutch bearings (10) [PTK-MR115-2RS] | Hardware & Fasteners - A Main Hobbies

I am running a timbuk2 13.5T with a 9T pinion for straight crawling. Top speed is just a little over walking speed. When I had it setup with the stock 12T it was a jogging pace. Both had more than enough torque.

With regard to mounting the battery. I ended up mounting all the electronics on the under side of battery plate (part 51403) so that they were fairly hidden. Because of this the radio plate was empty (part 51402) I then made myself a small 2s 1300mah hump pack which secures nicely to the underside of the radio plate, again to hide it as much as possible. Not a lot of juice for rock racing, but a sollid 20 minutes of crawling.

If you are on a budget I would highly recommend this little guy at CKRC https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ckrc-sp...74106c0b6e0f96
By no means the greatest, but at the price I haven't been able to touch them. I have 2 on my R1 right now running 4WS and they have plenty of torque for normal backyard crawling.

Finally, I don't have any experience with the RC4WD tranny, but I can tell you that you have very limited space to work with on the skid plate. I would highly recommend getting dimensions and considering motor fit before spending money on another tranny.
beardedstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #7

thanks for the info....I ordered gmade from ckrc, they should have it in two days, so hopefully i'll have it within ten days im will prolly try some of my spare tires and friends tires before i make a purchase...I will watch my bearings and stub axles closely, ive got some cheap servos to get by for now id like to get a really wide steering angle up front eventually and possibly some wheel weights its tricky to figure out what ill need by watching youtube
Old 04-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I agree 100% with beardedstealth-replace the stock bearings,take your time with the axle builds,replace the phillips head screws with hex head ones and be aware there is not much room inside the chassis!At the moment I am running a 21.5 turn LRP sensored brushless combo,Savox 0251MG digital servo,Spektrum receiver,Sedona tires on Proline Titus wheels.I use a 2200mAh 3s lipo which mounts under the battery tray with a quick release cable tie and gives me plenty of run time.
ausjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #9

my r1 came in this morning(finally!) took 6-7 hours building it i used a drill for the beadlock screws and few other things..very impressed with most of the parts and design..slapped in electronics from my drift car...traxxas vxl motor does not fit well but with a ziptied lower link and a slightly forced skidplat screw its working for now, I have a ezrun 60a esc with the stock r1 pinion...its was hard not to wheelie and even harder not to do a nose wheelie while stopping so i turned the punch of the esc down to soft and reduced drag brake to 80%(much better but still way faster than it needs to be) i dont think this setup will allow great low speed torque(too much rain to test) so im still planning on getting the timbuk2 combo 13.5t but i may try different pinion gears...radio is fsgt3b/6 channel servo is t pro mg 996r...didnt get to use rear steer kit because extra gears to convert axle had wrong size inlet whole wrong size...steering angle is not to great but i have rear steer, dig, and cvds in mind...
now ive looked at tires and i think i will get rock beasts or proline chisels(waddaya think?) i did try to order MG946R x2 but they were out of stock, and i will replace/beef up things as the bearings and pins while they break...thanks for the info..im gonna look around and see if i can dig up some info on a good servo for the dig unit
Old 05-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Hey man glad you injoyed the build. I loved doin mine. Man if you think you got to much go now, man a timbuk 2 an 13.5t will be faster again. Even a wraith edition is to much. Ive tried. All I use now is an novak eiger 3s and a 35t brushed. And it got gobbs of torq and running pace speed. And good wheel speed for climbing.
But thats me bud.
Injoy the toy lol

sent via crappa talk 2 from my gmade r1
scoobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #11

well its not really that its too fast but its the punch thats too much, as slow as i can possibly lay on the trigger it still takes off...the timbuk2 should be more adjustable and better torque because its sensored...im hoping with the right gearing i can crawl real slow and use the rock boost for getting around
Old 05-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #12

went through one pack now and i dont think the stock tires are all that bad, they outperformed 3 sets of my friends tires on rocks and dirt the.. i think foams need to be cut and rims need an air passage, some weights would prolly help too..but i will take the advice and try some better tires wen i can...shocks are too stiff the chassis doesnt like to articulate, gonna take some tuning...i havent put the side panels on yet because i kno i will be changing parts, but this thing is still the best looking crawler ive seen in person
Old 08-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

R1s are top lil crawler, i changed my tires and pikd up a set of cheap n nasty china brand, and what a difference. It jus eats up whats in front of it now, they grip hard and chew thru almost anythn ive put in its road lol.

sent to you from my acer liquid via my gmade r1 while re inventing the wheel
Old 10-03-2012, 06:20 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Would you guys say you need to replace all the bearing?
FesterUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Well ive done a few in but not hard to find replacements tho.
Good maintanence and the will be ok.
Jus do what i did. Buy a set or two for spares. Cheaps as fish n chips so why not i thought.

sent to you while re inventing the wheel.

Tags
4ws, cvd axle, gmade r1, novak timbuk2, r2 2 speed dig

upcoming r1 build advice and thoughts please - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upcoming AX10 build. Am I missing anything? patrick_b Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 01-21-2008 05:36 PM