Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gmade XD Shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #1

Default Gmade XD Shocks

I was just wondering if any of you guys have used these? are they any good? found them on rc4wd
TRUBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I use the 103mm ones on my Wraith and I love them!
motomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Defy Gravity

Default Re: Gmade XD Shocks

now i see a ton of people using the piggyback style shock, but has anyone used the aeration or diaphragm models? looking at these for a comper, the piggybacks would take up too much room.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I use the piggyback shocks on my front and the aeration ones on ny rear in my scx10. I love them. They are tough, built well (actually put together by owner ) and seem to perform really well. They are tunable for different styles too. I say go for it, if you dont like them Im sure people will buy them from you.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Phablet)
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #5

on the piggyback shocks, is there a noticeable difference when tuning them with the oil or not really?
Old 10-30-2012, 04:34 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I don't know. I used the supplied oil from GMade. I would believe that different weights would change the tuning. I love the shocks though. I got mine ordered right from JunFac over seas and it was 60 shipped for both sets.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #7

are the springs harder or softer?
Old 10-31-2012, 03:18 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUBLE View Post
Harder or softer then what. I would say they are probably more middle of the road between hard and soft.....

Old 10-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I was just wondering if any of you guys have used these? are they any good? found them on rc4wd
I use the 103mm on my Wringo at 11lbs. They are really good in performance and build quality. I have 1 leaking at the piston seal now but it's just enough to collect dirt not evacuate the shock body. The functionality of the piggyback is really cool. I've used it to adjust ride height and torque twist in certain situations.

Quote:
on the piggyback shocks, is there a noticeable difference when tuning them with the oil or not really?
I run 20wt losi up front and 30wt axial in back. The 20 is definitely noticeable impact to dampening. When using the adjustment screws, they still can get to a "locked" position regardless of the oil weight.

Quote:
I assume you mean vs. stock wraith shocks/springs. They are just harder than an Axial red spring (no testing just my opinion). The body dia is too large for axial springs to be used smoothly. I've found that Traxxas e/t maxx springs fit with dia but are too long. I tried losi SCTE springs and they were too large in dia for the bottom spring holder. On my heavy rig, the standard mediums are working really good, I think mostly because of the weight. I ordered the softs from Gmade to have in case I feel I need them ,but haven't changed over yet.
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I have a set that came in today from my LHS, they look cool, and people seem to think they work well. Anything, is better than the stock Axial shocks.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #11

Guess I am going to have to get me a set. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #12

Keep in mind that I am no expert.

Anyway, I am now installing the piggybacks on my wraith. My shocks arrived as a kit that requires me to put them together. It takes about an hour to put a pair of them together and it requires precision. So, it took me a full two hours to put 2 pairs together. I had a hard time screwing the shock body to the piggy-back shock cap, it did not always go on straight for whatever reason, which can cause oil leaks. One of my shock body had to be removed and re-install a very oily-mess. Now I have to go back and check the first set to make sure they are not leaking.

again I am no expert. I believe that shock oil weight for these piggyback shocks is not neccessary because by screwing the hex cap screw a little tightly or loosely it will adjust the internal pressure of the cylinder.

I wished that these shocks had arrived fully assembled so that I would not have had that fussy experience.
Madkiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkiki View Post
Keep in mind that I am no expert.

Anyway, I am now installing the piggybacks on my wraith. My shocks arrived as a kit that requires me to put them together. It takes about an hour to put a pair of them together and it requires precision. So, it took me a full two hours to put 2 pairs together. I had a hard time screwing the shock body to the piggy-back shock cap, it did not always go on straight for whatever reason, which can cause oil leaks. One of my shock body had to be removed and re-install a very oily-mess. Now I have to go back and check the first set to make sure they are not leaking.

again I am no expert. I believe that shock oil weight for these piggyback shocks is not neccessary because by screwing the hex cap screw a little tightly or loosely it will adjust the internal pressure of the cylinder.

I wished that these shocks had arrived fully assembled so that I would not have had that fussy experience.
This was my only real issue with these shocks. Absolutely hated having to put them together. It was a precise mess. I have bad arthritis in my fingers and when working with these super small parts my hands were killing me not to mention frustration from dropping parts.

Anyways I run these and would definitely get another set for my Wraith. Might just pay a friend to put them together. Lol

Old 12-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I'll be getting mine in the mail today, counting down the minutes until I get off work to go work on them and test them out. From the looks of it you guys are making me second thought putting them together by myself. I already get frustrated with other stuff when I'm working with my gmade but I guess thats a part of the hobby.

So after a few hours of putting these shocks together, they came out looking rather good. Much better than the ts01 shocks, now I just have to take it out on a test drive.
Attached Images

Last edited by bikerzee24; 12-05-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: added pictures
bikerzee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #15

The shocks are too stiff for what I do, so today I am draining the oil. So, my next adventure will be totally without oil and relying totally on the springs. The Wraith will be crawling very slowly over rocks and I want it to flex a lot, even bouncing around some what to give it that realistic look.

Can't wait to make my next movie!
Madkiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I like mine. They are a pain to set up,...once you do the second one you'll understand the process and have to go back and re-do them again. Once you do that, then they work great and are easy to tune.
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
The shocks are too stiff for what I do, so today I am draining the oil. So, my next adventure will be totally without oil and relying totally on the springs. The Wraith will be crawling very slowly over rocks and I want it to flex a lot, even bouncing around some what to give it that realistic look.

They are a little stiff, but for the weight of my gmade they work out great since it holds it up just fine, and they are completly adjustable so I can always make them super soft. I see no point in getting piggybacks if your going to use them as regular diapharm shocks, unless of course your just going for the piggyback shock look. And not to hate on the wraiths but these are made by gmade...lol...which incorporates thier use on a gmade crawler, but hey I'm a part of that group that uses miss match parts too on my rigs, so go ahead an do yo thing man.
bikerzee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

any updates? I also do crawling and cant these right
4x4Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I need some recommendations. I did two sets of these yesterday. I'm running the four-hole pistons in all four shocks. Also running the stock springs. I'm using the oil which came with the shocks (22.5 wt?) in the fronts and losi 60 wt in the rear.

My problem is this. After assembly, the shocks don't compress fully or at the same rate, i.e., the fronts do not compress at the same rate and one shock does not compress all the way to the bump stop. The same with the rears. One shock compresses all the way to the bump, the other doesn't.

How would you recommend to fix?

Thanks,
Jon D.
spankbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #20

The screw adjusts the rebound (or pressure) if the shock won't fully compress undo the screw slowly until it does. Getting them exactly the same is easier with the springs off so you can feel were the piston stops. I have mine so they actually just pull the shaft all the way in with no spring on them. Work very well on my honco
boater is offline   Reply With Quote

Gmade XD Shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone using the Gmade TS-01 Shocks on R1 Flash Burns G-Made Crawlers 2 09-09-2011 03:12 PM
GMade Shocks Rubihahn General Crawlers 10 07-03-2009 07:37 AM
Gmade zero shocks yel98vwgti Tamiya CR-01 4 04-27-2009 01:42 PM