Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: just got an r1 need some advice or tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 11:55 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default just got an r1 need some advice or tips

Hey guys I just bought a slightly used r1. It came with a novak rooster crawler and 55t. I already know I want to have more power for sure and proabably go brushless. But I want the best crawl ability out of it. So if it means brushed then ill stay brushed. I do want to get tires and wheels for it as well and bent links front and rear for the lowers.

My question is which tires should I get? Im thinking rovers but not sure on color. What are you guys finding works best?

As for brushed or brushed which would be best? I want some good wheel speed to jump up rocks if needed but want to creepy crawl at same time. And would like to run 3s lipo as I have a few of them.

Which brand of links are the best or should I just make them? The skid plate has been machined to inboard the lower links.

Last edited by tnt-salvage; 03-27-2014 at 12:07 AM.
tnt-salvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #2

I use the losi night crawler esc with a lathe 55 turn brushed and run a 3s lipo on it which gave me the wheel speed I needed to hop over things I have white dot rovers
15525JOSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: just got an r1 need some advice or tips

Ditto on the white dot Rovers. I run a 55T brushed and still have plenty of speed to charge up obstacles when necessary. I honestly don't know what I would do with more torque. The 55T brushed motor has more than enough power to shear off an axle or strip gears. You are really asking for trouble with a brushless setup. The Gmade/JunFac bent links work great. PM me for a recommendation on a good vendor. I can also show you how to make some cheap link extensions here Poor Man's DIY Link Extensions. As far as the skid plate goes, you should definitely upgrade to the delrin plate. The ridges on the stock skid plate tend to snag on the rocks when you're scraping over stuff. Unless the looks just bother you, the stock wheels are good wheels and worth keeping. Be sure to drill vent holes in them, though. And when you get the Rovers, you'll have to wrap the included foams with an additional layer of open cell foam (1/4 inch thick at most.) Without the additional foam, the tires will have dimples all over them. And be sure to move your shock mounting points more inboard on the chassis per this thread More Articulation.
supermoturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: just got an r1 need some advice or tips

Thanks guys for the help im going to install a cc bec next and run it on 3s. I installed some rc4wd 2.2 iroks and it seems to have good wheel speed now with the slightly larger tires. Im going to install a hi tec 7980tg servo as well since my wraith dose not need that big of a servo my plan is to keep the costs low on this rig. I bought it slightly used for 250.00 and I just need a cc bec for it now. I will make my own bent links I think and skid plate cover to smooth it out. The lower links have been moved inwards in the skid plate already so im thinking just glueing in small peices of uhmw? Think it will work?
tnt-salvage is offline   Reply With Quote

just got an r1 need some advice or tips - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dingo Kit - My first build. Any tips/advice? What mods are worth doing? LeadFootCaliKiid Axial SCX-10 2 01-06-2014 03:51 PM
formula offroad noob tips and advice Cranbrook1951 Formula Offroad 29 09-12-2013 08:28 AM
Need bully advice and tips. TedBull RC4WD Bully 5 02-23-2011 10:45 PM
CAMO....inside or outside? advice and tips help 08sv Paint and Body 12 12-26-2010 01:45 PM
I'm looking for advice or tips.... hard rocker Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 07-22-2008 10:42 AM