Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: FMJ's R1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default FMJ's R1

I have an R1 just kicking around collecting dust. I have been debating whether to sell it or build it. It's all stock. I really like the idea of portal axels and that's why I bought it. But it really doesn't belong in the comp categories that I'm interested in. I'm not really into scale so trying to go that route isnt going to happen at least for now. Basically I think I'll try and turn it into a just for fun crawler that I can take out on the local scene which is just wraiths and the like.

That all being said here i also have some axial scorpion parts lying around I might incorporate. I'd like to try and keep the portals.

Maybe I'll do an axial tranny with the vp dig to help out my turning radius.

Front portal rear axial diff?

I dunno. Really would have liked to throw it on my old jr bastard chassis but I chopped that thing to useless.

Here goes....
Morbid Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: FMJ's R1

I have the proline TSL's that I'll run on it to keep the theme kinda scalish. They really suck though. Thinking of some better ways to cut them up. Any idears?
Old 05-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

So far electronics are
Tekin fxr
Tekin 35t HD
Cc bec
Trying to find all my axial tranny bits.
HiTec HS 645mg servo x2, steering and dig

MIP front ds
Aluminum rear shaft
Old 05-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Default What's a thread without pics? Boring

So here lies the heap to I'll start with. To me it feels like looking at a pos project vehicle in someone's garage.

Progress! And company...

New links are in/ being made. Delrin rear lowers, Titanium front lowers and f/r carbon uppers are being made. Shocks are serviced for 50/50 s/d & 30wt
Old 05-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Default Power train mock up

Power train mock up complete. Everything is beauty. Driveshaft angles are prime.

14t pinion on the motor. Rear diff needs to be negatively cocked a hair. Shocks to the outside mount at axle and then electronics can go in.

Man this is so much easier than my XR.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Default Electronics DONE

Got the scorpion tranny and vp dig w/ HT HS645-MG servo in. This was great! Last time I drove the R1 stock it's turning sucked so bad I wanted to throw it off a bridge. Now with the dig and the grind wheel I took to the front Cs she turns beautifully!! So impressed! I only have the dig set up for locked or engaged right now. I had freewheel working at first then something went wrong and the servo was throwing way too much. Couldn't figure it out, (damn Dx3!) Doesn't matter much as freewheel ability is a nicetie not a necessity, I'll figure it out again later if I feel like it. Point is she turns on a loonie which is sick for a Gmade.

Ditched the 645 servo for steering and dumped a 7955 up front.

Not really interested in putting this thing on a diet. Kept all electronics and battery on the back end where the stock plate is located. Atm she weighs in at 4#14.4oz; 78.4oz; 2223g rtr no battery. If I tried hard I could bring that down to 4# or less and relocate the electronics/ batt but again, this is just a fun rig that I'm not very serious about.

The flex I'm keeping limited to this. Pretty much maxed out. About 5.4" high.

What's really left to do to this thing is fix up the Gmade portal slop. Words can only describe...
Body panels fresh and painted to come.
Got a ton of new rubber so I may out fit some different shoes at some point.
That'll be about it.

I did throw some 5.5" CI DD comp cut foams in, soft up front medium rear. That woke the TSL's up. They where pretty damn sleepy.

Torque twist is so minimal it's really unnoticeable at all unless I'm hammering on the throttle. So only thing holding back is the axle slop.

Stay tuned for more! Or don't. What evs.

Last edited by Morbid Angel; 05-20-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:04 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Forgot to ask. Has anyone tried outfitting different gears in the portals? I was thinking about it and wondering if any of the hardened lightweight gear sets out there would have gears that would fit cause that would solve the slop and the weak portal woes instantly and really put these duffs on the playing field. The clearance the portals have actually help out a shittonne. If one made them a bit more solid they would be 2.2s comp material IMO.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:44 PM   #8

Cool build! I actually just ordered myself a R1 today
goatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:56 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Default FMJ's R1

Glad to see someone else rocking the R1 for fun the gmade sections usually pretty dead : old pic of mine (battery relocated now)

Sent from the clouds

Last edited by Captainkickass; 05-23-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Captainkickass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:29 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatz View Post
Cool build! I actually just ordered myself a R1 today
might as well do a build thread, good way to get your post count up as well as get some pointers from those who've been there done that as well as share your experience for others to learn from.

Once you get the post count to 20 you get access to the classifieds section of the forum where the buy and sell is an incredible asset to have on your side as an enthusiast!

** I suppose I may be expected to mention you can also "purchase a star" and gain access immediately as well.

This site is great, for weeding out the BS you may pick up along the way, like 'lead wheel weight wraps on the inside of rims' for example.

Last edited by Morbid Angel; 05-31-2015 at 06:33 PM. Reason: due diligence
Old 06-02-2015, 05:23 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What's a thread without pics? Boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULL METAL JEEP View Post
Progress! And company...
[/URL]
Both the progress and the company look very nice! I've always wanted a comp crawler but there's no comps near me, and when they are near me I can't make it there.

Also, are the portals durable? Plastic or steel gears? I might get a set to gain ground clearance but keep scale-ish tires on my SCX10 if they're worth it... If they're not I'll either get larger tires or the RC4WD portal kit for AX-10 axles.

Thanks
-SCXD90- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:00 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SCXD90- View Post
Also, are the portals durable? Plastic or steel gears? I might get a set to gain ground clearance but keep scale-ish tires on my SCX10 if they're worth it... If they're not I'll either get larger tires or the RC4WD portal kit for AX-10 axles.

Thanks
Personally I havnt had an issue with gmade portals breaking yet. I dont really drive this thing much, but when I do its usually sharp steering and full throttle. I dont run weighted wheels either, i think that would be a mistake.

The portal gears are metal, but not heat treated like rc4wd's.

rc4wd looks a little expensive, the tie rod looks like its so damn low it is defeating the gain in clearance, could be just the shot angle. But you could make your own better steering links.

not sure what kind of steering youd get with those, not sure if any vendor mods would fit either.

looks like a gamble there. maybe search / ask around on the site here see if anyones running them.

This rig of mine is at 4#'s. I wouldnt trust the gmades to go through the abuse of a 10 #er.

ANOTHER option and probably the best if your set on portals would be Dravtech's wrapter mod. Do a search and see what I mean.

Best of luck.

*** Also, I didnt see portals for the ax10 axles, only for the AR60's which are different.

Last edited by Morbid Angel; 06-02-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:52 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Personally I havnt had an issue with gmade portals breaking yet. I dont really drive this thing much, but when I do its usually sharp steering and full throttle. I dont run weighted wheels either, i think that would be a mistake. The portal gears are metal, but not heat treated like rc4wd's. RC4WD looks a little expensive, the tie rod looks like its so damn low it is defeating the gain in clearance, could be just the shot angle.
Yeah it's a pretty low. I can fix that though, with a few m3xm16 bolts, m3 nuts and some m3xm3 spacers I can get that up higher where it's above the axle shaft casings.

Quote:
ANOTHER option and probably the best if your set on portals would be Dravtech's wrapter mod. Do a search and see what I mean.
If I end up getting the R1 axles I will most likely get the Dravtech Wrapters if I'm not pleased by the steering angles with stock knuckles.

Quote:
Best of luck.

*** Also, I didnt see portals for the ax10 axles, only for the AR60's which are different.
Thanks.

As for the ax10/scx10 axles:

Fronts

RC4WD Portal Front Axles for Axial AX-10 Axles (Scorpion, SCX10)

Rears

RC4WD Portal Rear Axles for Axial AX-10 Axles (Scorpion, SCX10)

I do feel that $230 is a bit much for an extra 1/2" of clearance..... Hmmm
Old 06-02-2015, 07:02 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Looking at this picture...

https://www.google.com/search?q=scx1...tm%3B800%3B500

I'm thinking that the steering link is too low, the drag link will hit my frame rails, it's too wide, and it really doesn't give much ground clearance. It's like 1/2", which isn't worth $230 IMO...

I'll stick with my 4.75" tires for now lmao.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:44 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SCXD90- View Post

I do feel that $230 is a bit much for an extra 1/2" of clearance..... Hmmm
thats ********* ludicrous. Looks more like 1/4"

heres a fail steering set up to sell the design heh

Last edited by Morbid Angel; 06-02-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:05 AM   #16

Looks like incorrect link installation to me.
Spacelord is offline   Reply With Quote

FMJ's R1 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FMJ's XR10; the Grave Over Winter Rebuild Morbid Angel Axial XR10 30 04-29-2015 09:33 PM