Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Sawback

Notices

Thread: Sawback FJ 40 Land Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2015, 08:53 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Sawback FJ 40 Land Cruiser

Since I was a kid I have always loved old FJ's, since I don't want the headaches of restoring one I might as well build an rc one.

I started with a virgin sawback kit and Tamiya Land Cruiser 40 Body

I had an R2 DIG trans sitting in the parts box so I decided to use it for its small size and set it up so I had selectable 2 or 4wd.

I went into this build with the full knowledge that the wheelbase was going to be all wrong. After some thought I decided to ditch the idea of messing with the leaf spring mounts and cut 30mm out of the center of the frame rails.

Wheelbase is far better now, any shorter and I would have driveshaft and clearance issues for the transmision.

The front bumper gap turned out exactly as I had planned, I'd like to put an older style winch on the front (the one with a big manual brake on it) like the Warn 5687 with a servo winch to do the work.

Now that the chassis length had been taken care of I needed to come up with some body mounts. Since this is a scale (ish) build I wanted them to be stealth mounts. I glued some styrene to the front body posts and made a nice pad for some velcro, for the rear I wanted to come up with a hinge type mount. I bent up a hoop out of 3/16 rod and will soon make some mounts to give some body mounting points.

Thats about all I've done up to this point, hope you enjoy the build
patman_and_robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2015, 06:48 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Sawback FJ 40 Land Cruiser

A bit more progress has been made, I ditched the idea of the pivoting rear hoop and decided for a fixed mount. I used the same hoop and moved it forward and braced it to match the shape and location of the stock roll bar on the FJ40s.

Once the roll bar was tacked in place I drilled a couple holes to make a styrene platform for the velcro body mounts.

An FJ wouldn't be complete without a spare tire, even though the stock ones didn't have much for a rear bumper I decided to fab one up with a spare tire mount.

Next step is paint, plan is to paint the lexan from the outside. Red body with a white top and grill. This truck isn't going to be a shelf queen so I'm going to spray it silver and copper as a base so I get some nice colours coming through it as it gets some westcoast pinstripes.

Last edited by patman_and_robin; 01-25-2015 at 06:53 PM.
patman_and_robin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gmade, land cruiser, sawback, scale build, toyota

Sawback FJ 40 Land Cruiser - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15 trucks Offroad: Sniper Land Rover D90 D110 Ford Land Cruiser Trail Finder 2 Dingo boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 08-30-2012 07:48 AM
12 trucks Mudding! Land Rover Honcho Land Cruiser Dingo D110 RSOV Wraith King Hauler boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 07-16-2012 06:27 AM
My CC-01 Land Cruiser 40 mix237 Tamiya XC/CC01 4 11-05-2009 04:59 AM
hard jeep/land cruiser/land rover body IronRC Paint and Body 2 03-02-2008 10:14 PM