Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Comp Class Verification Please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Comp Class Verification Please

Looking to enter my first comp this spring (Oregon). I would like to confirm my running Class.

AX-10, 4 Wheel Steer, Narrowed Betty Body (5.0").

Looking at the 2008 Comp Specs- Am I looking at the Class 1 - Super Crawler class?

2.2 - Class 1 - Super Crawler Class:
• 2.2.1 - No limits on wheelbase, vehicle track width or height. == 12.5"
• 2.2.2 - No limits on tire type or size.== 2.2" on Rock Lizards
• 2.2.3 - No limits to steering configuration.== 4 Wheel Steer
• 2.2.4 - Super class bodiless over all dimension of the complete chassis must be at least length, 3" overall width, and 3.75" overall height 12"overall == 12.5" x 5.0"

Thank you for your considerations,

Flynfrog

Last edited by Flynfrog; 03-02-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Flynfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #2
MWRCA'er

Right.

Supers are definitly larger and more agressive though. I would definitly consider loosing the 4 steer and running with the 2.2's.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Mnster,
Thank you for the confirmation. Great advise for the 2WS for comps. Am I allowed to keep the rear servo still attached on the servo tray and convert the Rear Wheel Linkages to being Stock & Fixed?

For practice I can "Lock" the throws on the rear steer to "0%" - I'm running a DX6 TX.

TIA,

Flynfrog
Old 03-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynfrog View Post
AX-10, 4 Wheel Steer, Narrowed Betty Body (5.0").

2.1.2 - Bodied vehicles: Any support chassis allowed. Body must be 3” minimum height on sides. No
less than 12.5” total length and full original width, and no less than 5” in the center. All bodies should
resemble its original form (Jeep bodies look like a Jeep)

Unless you dovetailed the front and rear, you'll have to do something about the body. It seems you're allowed to dovetail the front and rear of a body, but narrowing the cab is a no-no. Otherwise, I'd get together with your local sanctioning body and see if they'll allow you to run in the 2.2 class with your rear steer disabled, or if you actually have to physically lock out the rear steer, that seems like a bit of a grey area to me. I can't imagine why they wouldn't allow you to leave your servo on the tray if it's not attached to the steering linkage. Either way, I'd run in the 2.2 class rather than the super class.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:01 AM   #5
Keep it real

You can have the servo on the truck, but it needs to be mechanically locked out to be legal. You definitely don't want to try to run in superclass, you won't have enough wheelbase to make the climbs they set up.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:16 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks to all who have answered so far.

Looks like I need to change out the Body- I feel most comfortable being able to see my suspension & Wheels. So I will be looking for a Comp legal narrow Bodied - Low profile 1/10 scale body. Anything out there besides the Bug (I like the bug- old 72 super beetle owner)that fits the bill?

Also, Is a Rear DIG Legal for the 2.2 Class? I assume that by disengaging the rear driveline that the turning radius is tighter,therefore it would have some of the advantages the rear steer w/o the ability to Steer into the turn.

TIA,

Flynfrog

Last edited by Flynfrog; 03-03-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Losi, Proline, and Axial all make comp specific bodies. Check out the body section or with the vendors. Yes, rear dig is legal for the 2.2 class.
derwood21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Dig is not only legal, but encouraged!
BlueMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMonster View Post
Dig is not only legal, but encouraged!
the way some people are setting up courses now... I would say it is DEMANDED.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
the way some people are setting up courses now... I would say it is DEMANDED.

p!nK

I havent seen you at any of the comps I have setup.

Some Clubs will allow you to leave the rear steer and not lock it out as long as you dont use it. In my club for instance we permit that but, if the judge see's that rear wheel turn even a little bit...DNF (best to just pull the servo lead from the receiver). We have went to this because there are soo many people running ax10's with the rear steer kit.

As for DIG, you arent just disengaging the rear axle, you are also locking it so that the rear tires provide a pivot point.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:21 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

My best advice from experiance--if you want to compete remove the rear steering all together because you will find you learn to drive with it faster than you learn to forget to drive without it.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

X2 if you are going to compete, rear steer teaches bad habits. With 4ws you can screw up a line approach, from the beginning and just "fix" your alignment with the rears. It changes the whole strategy and the proper approach is harder to see You'll forget your true turn radius as well
solomon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
I havent seen you at any of the comps I have setup.
thats because I have been hiding in the bushes...... watching.......

Quote:

Some Clubs will allow you to leave the rear steer and not lock it out as long as you dont use it. In my club for instance we permit that but, if the judge see's that rear wheel turn even a little bit...DNF (best to just pull the servo lead from the receiver). We have went to this because there are soo many people running ax10's with the rear steer kit.

As for DIG, you arent just disengaging the rear axle, you are also locking it so that the rear tires provide a pivot point.

if you just remove the power to a servo then there is nothing really holding the wheels in a straight locked position. best option is like people have said, don't even bother installing it, more trouble than it is worth.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #14
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynfrog View Post
Thanks to all who have answered so far.

Looks like I need to change out the Body- I feel most comfortable being able to see my suspension & Wheels. So I will be looking for a Comp legal narrow Bodied - Low profile 1/10 scale body. Anything out there besides the Bug (I like the bug- old 72 super beetle owner)that fits the bill?

Also, Is a Rear DIG Legal for the 2.2 Class? I assume that by disengaging the rear driveline that the turning radius is tighter,therefore it would have some of the advantages the rear steer w/o the ability to Steer into the turn.

TIA,

Flynfrog
I would suggest front dig, it's better. Yes, front dig is legal.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Looks Like I'll have an extra servo lying around soon.... Just ordered the VF DIG. Any suggestions on Tightening the front turning radius? Lock to lock right now takes some real estate with the rear steer servo locked out @0%..

TIA for all the assistance & advice,

Flynfrog

Last edited by Flynfrog; 03-03-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:59 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

extra servo laying around??? You realize you will need a servo for the Dig right? The DIG will reduce your steering radius.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:21 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Jetboat,
thank you, I realize that the DIG requires a servo--I'll go with a HiTec HS225MG or better. The current Rear steer servo is an Integy 190oz...I'll use it as my 2nd spare for the front.

Flynfrog

Last edited by Flynfrog; 03-05-2008 at 03:08 PM.