Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: n00bie here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2004, 11:24 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default n00bie here

im new to this site and id like to say hi to everyone. you all have some VERY awsome rigs here. hopefully mine will jion the many ere soon. im working on an electric x factor. just all the common stuff going on, E-Maxx tranny, maxx sliders and custom longer links. this will be my first crawler and im hopin it turns out well. ive got a few questions to start.

1) what esc should i use, id like to be able to run dual motors for the added torque.
2) what motors should i use, (id like to have it all) runs cool, super high toque, easy to maintain and cheep.
3) brushed, or brushless. i need to rake if that makes a difference.
4)any thing you can think of that wil help me out id appreciate.

thanks
wade
Abuse your JUNK
Nomercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2004, 12:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: n00bie here

Answers are easy:

1. I would only use a Super Rooster with two motors. It's the best!
2. Magnetic Mayhem motors seem the best all around crawling motor.
3. DO NOT do brushless on a crawler. The torque would be nice but there is NO braking with brushless. Not a good choice. Brushless is really built for speed.
4. If you are running XFactor axles, I would JB weld the shafts and couplers. I would also run the biggest tire available, like the Kongs or BFT's because, due to the width of the axles, you will get the diffs
hung up quite a bit. The more center clearnace you can get the better....and the only way to do that is with BIG tires. With the wide axles, you will also need a long wheel base. Go 15 to 15.5 inches. Get the Savage stub shafts so you can use standard Maxx type wheels.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 01:36 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

1. use the super rooster or get the mtronics trucker it water proof cheaper and is make for the 2 motor set up.

2.magnet mayhams are the best if you are running a 2 motor one battery setup.

3. no brushless leave that for the track.

4.get some bft tires good 3000mah batteries and good controller. oh and a crawler body.
skyjacker_rc_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 01:41 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Yeah skyjacker...the 3000 or 3300 batts are a must!

Also, after watching many guys with their helicopter gear reduction units on the Emaxx tranny.....I think I will be doing it too!!!
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 01:53 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

helicopter gear reduction, whats this?? (remember im new to the crawling world.) also i dont think ill be going wih the super roster, i just checked it out and it can only handle 10v. i need something that can handle two batts, 14.4 volts. i think i just might stick with a stock e-maxx esc, unless someone has another suggestion. also i think ill go with those bft tires, ill mount them on a set of bead lockers too., can you buy them unmounted ordo ihae to remove them form the rims. and for more ground clearence i just might move the lower links up on the chasis and hack it off right bellow the tranny and make a skid, id gain almost aninch of ground clearance this way, but ill need to get a set of plastic ones to try this on first before i go and do it to my AL. ones. im also going to move the stering servos up on top of the axle and make new sterring links. if any one has any more suggestions please inform meof them .

thanks
wade
Abuseyou JUNK
Nomercy is offline   Reply With Quote