Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Low gearing Vs. speed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2004, 08:12 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Low gearing Vs. speed?

Is super low gearing better or a semi low gearing with the ability to still be able to bump up an obstical better? I have been thinking of picking up a set of the TTR gear reducers, but at the same time Im not sure if it would hurt more than do good. Or should I just run 9t pinions and leave it at that?

Anyone run the TTR reducers? If so do you like them?
nktrnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2004, 08:16 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Low gearing Vs. speed?

What kind of rig are we talking about? I'm going to guess a Clod based on you asking about TTR's reductions....

For a Clod I'd probably stick with 9-tooth pinions and the Clods known problem of having one motor stalling..
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 09:23 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

yep Im running a clod.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:38 PM   #4

I say get the gear reductions. If it is too slow, jump up to some jumbo kongs or take the reducers off and get some 9 tooth pinions, or use a battery with more cells.

I got some Stormer 4:1's on mine and love them. I personally like going slow, so the reductions were perfect for me. I drove my friends clod with some 9 tooth pinions and I enjoyed the increase in speed but I still prefer my slow crawling clod.

If you do go with gear reductions you need to think about how to keep your motors from hitting the suspension links.

Good luck!!
chuukrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 07:47 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuukrc
I say get the gear reductions. If it is too slow, jump up to some jumbo kongs or take the reducers off and get some 9 tooth pinions, or use a battery with more cells.

I got some Stormer 4:1's on mine and love them. I personally like going slow, so the reductions were perfect for me. I drove my friends clod with some 9 tooth pinions and I enjoyed the increase in speed but I still prefer my slow crawling clod.

If you do go with gear reductions you need to think about how to keep your motors from hitting the suspension links.

Good luck!!
Pete? is that you?
Old 08-04-2004, 11:48 PM   #6
The Wheels Keep Turning

been running 9 tooth pinions with magnetic mayhems for over a year. i like the combo. you still have a little punch to bump up some obstacles, but plenty of torque.

the 55 turn lather motors can be run without adjustable motor mounts and are pretty slow. that's the cheapest setup because you don't need to buy anything, and they have plenty of torque!
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 12:17 PM   #7

Wassup TJ! Seen the name but didn't think it was you, from your last post on the nissan board you were souping up some touring cars.

Get the reducers!!! If you don't like them sell them to me!

If you want you can borrow my 4:1's to see what kind of speed you will get with gear reductions. Just let me know!
Old 08-05-2004, 04:24 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Yeah Im still messing with my toruing/drift cars. I go to Vegas In a couple of weeks, so when I get back "if" I have the extra cash Ill pick up the reducers. Ive been trying to find a used set for less, but no luck yet.
Im rebuilding my clod again. Today I should be able to cut out the chassis (carbon fiber), and make my links. But Im still waiting for a bunch of parts to come in before I can finish (servos, shocks, adapters)
Old 08-06-2004, 03:01 PM   #9

Cool! I just got me a used 1/4 scale servo, sucker is HUGE! Got to figure out how to mount it to the front of the truck. Hope to get some aluminum knuckles, adapters and some Jumbo Kongs this month then from there slap everything together and go crawling again.

You making carbon fiber links too or just the chassis? I had Stan's (ef9) machinist friend build me some links out of some scrap SS rod I had. Sucker came out beautiful and can handle all the scrapes the rocks are dishing out.

Keep me posted on the build progess!
Old 08-06-2004, 04:32 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I was looking at the carbon rods, but they didnt look like what I wanted. I have aluminum rod that Im using for my links. I was thinking about asking my girls dad if he could make me some out of SS. He works at Pearl Harbor and has the in's for alot of good material there. The chassis that I cut out yesterday is crap. I guess my resin skills arnt what I thought they were. But screw it, it was my first attempt at laying any type of fiber glass type stuff. I have extra carbon fiber and I know what I did wrong so Ill try again. Plus at worst I can use the crap chassis to mock up my new links and stuff untill the new carbon sheet is ready. Ill post pics when Im done. Eh! get any good places by your place to crawl? After I get my truck back together I was going to hit up around Jackass ginger to go crawl.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:27 PM   #11
The Wheels Keep Turning

nktrnl and chuukrc, where are you guys from? i'm in phoenix. you guys been to any of the competitions? (colorado, utah, and soon to come in arizona, phoenix)
Old 08-06-2004, 08:27 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

We are in Hawaii on the island of Oahu. Crawling is slow out here, I only know a small hand full of guys that have clods and only a couple that use them from crawling.
As for the competition stuff, nope. But we do have a Top truck challenge and I talk to the guy that runs it, so next year Im going to ask him if I can set up a Rockcrawl coruse for the R/Cs. He's in to R/C but nitro. (If you wanna see what our top truck challenge looks like you can check out my site at http://www.4x4hawaii.com. Dont laugh at the site, its been a while since Ive worked on it.) Im going to see if any of the local hobby shops will help sponser "our" part of the event.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:41 PM   #13
The Wheels Keep Turning

i just asked because you were talking about vegas. i thought you were somewhat local.