Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: droop and sprung shocks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default droop and sprung shocks?

has any body tried this setup before?

meaning having super soft springs as internal shocks and super soft springs around the shock body

how well would this hold up? would the cap popping off be an issue due to the fact there would be costant pressure against it from the internal spring?
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXt559 View Post
has any body tried this setup before?

meaning having super soft springs as internal shocks and super soft springs around the shock body

how well would this hold up? would the cap popping off be an issue due to the fact there would be costant pressure against it from the internal spring?
Mmm, I'm not sure what the point of both would be, unless you wanted to mention you're running your shocks inverted? Since you ask if the shock cap would come off, I guess you mean having the internal spring above the piston instead of below it.

So, to me, if you ran a spring on the outside and on the inside, above the piston, with inverted shocks, it would cause the shock to find a more centered resting position rather than full extension or full droop. With that, it would help to keep the shocks from unloading fully on a steep incline as well, and I'm pretty sure would limit articulation, since the axle could swing either way, but would have pressure in both directions as well.

You could of course get the same effect with right side up shocks too, just by putting the spring around the shock shaft under the piston internally, and have no worries about the pressure popping the cap off. This is actually what I've been planning to do for my next truck.

But, if you're talking about right side up shocks, with a spring internally above the piston as well as a spring on the shock body, well, not a lot of difference there. Just making the shock stiffer.

I think, at least. Am I wrong anyone?

-- jason
je1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

ive done it, ran it for quite some time on my blackajck. i used C-620 internal springs from centuryspring.com and associated GT2 front springs, green and blue. it balanced very well, the shocks sat about 75% compressed at ride height. and the cap popping off from the internal springs is a non issue, otherwise nobody would run droop..
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Since you ask if the shock cap would come off, I guess you mean having the internal spring above the piston instead of below it.
no... i ment exactly what i said the spring under the piston, as in a droop set up. but i can understand the confusion.
deiselfuel was right when it came to the comment about nobody running droop if the caps constantly popped off. i shouldve thought out that question more

dieselfuel
thanks for the input
how'd you like the set up? ever ran it in comp?
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

i personally have found a huge difference in performance since i put my springs under the piston around the shock shaft. but then againg with the integy droop shocks you don't have to worry about the shock caps popping off. also if you do have a problem with the caps blowing off just put on metal caps(if you have metal shock bodies)
94line-xyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:33 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I've done it on Traxxas, WK and Axial shocks. I usually clip coils until the the springs just barely neutral themselves out. Meaning almost no tension at a 3/4 compressed position. I like a droop setup but I run the outer coil for the occasional jump and the extra little boost in ride height.

I'm currently running stock WK springs on Axial shocks with cut down stiff hardware store springs (don't know weight but similar to stock traxxas black coils) on my comp rig. I'm still tweaking my rig but it gives it a soft torsion chassis feel. I like 'em enough I've done on three different sets of shocks.

If you pop a cap it's more likely a side load on the shock, like the shock is twisting out farther than it's cap mount can go. Think a non-twist top bottle cap.

Last edited by Mriswith; 07-20-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote