Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: "SAND" Tyres, Gearing & Protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2004, 08:17 AM   #1

Default "SAND" Tyres, Gearing & Protection

Am just wondering what the overall opinion on these subjexts are as i intend to use Torque my Rock Crawler on sand dunes as well. Does the sand have and adverse effect on the motors my intent is to use the stock 540s on the dunes. Gearing im not real sure of and im not sure whos tyre products will fit my rims (being a new comer to rock crawlers im still yet to learn all about tyres although from what ive seen its just as indepth as any other form of rubber on surface vehicles) i have seen paddle wheels in a mag but do these fit jugger rims. The tyres on it are 6x3 not sure rim size. Any help muchly appreciated. Ta
Atacrkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2004, 09:09 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: "SAND" Tyres, Gearing & Protection

Sand/dune running and crawling are two different things with trucks built specifically for each of the two different sports.

Tp portcect my motors I use a sticky gauze that a friend found at a vet clinic. Its sticky to its self but is breathable. I wrap my motors in it so crap wont get in.

As for the tires, mostlikeley they wont fit (i cant think of any paddle tires for a clod) If you want to run them you will need "maxx" wheel adapters. Chances are the wheels you saw are "maxx" size wheels/tires
nktrnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 05:22 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

the maxx paddles from panther look good. sand rooster tails can be very addictive!
Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 06:58 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

Yes,sand dunes and rooster tails can be VERY addictive. When I still lived out west I was VERY addicted to the sand dunes with our ATV's and sand rails. When we weren't running desert races in District 37,we were at Glamis.

The tape the other guy was refering to is probly the same tape I use to tape my figers up with at work. It's got a good stick to it and it'll breath to help keep the motors from running hot. I use athletic tape you can get at Wal Mart,they keep it by the band aids,medical tape,splints,wraps and such. Very good tape for various things if you ask me.

As for gearing I would think you'd need a higher gear. Sand running usally has better results with super high RPM's,lots of traction and tons of power. If you ain't got these things,a real wide tire run at almost flat works well,you can even run baldiny racing slicks in this application.

I would recommend sealing EVERYTHING. Sand will work it's way into the smallest of places and destroy the toughest of parts. If you can,try and replace all bearings and bushings with sealed bearings. Build a sealed box for your electronics and things(ESC,receiver and gearboxes).

Good luck and have fun.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 12:29 AM   #5

Thanks guys am currently finding out where to order adaptors from jugger to emaxx rims so i can buy the paddle wheels am pretty sure this can be done. If anyone knows suggestions would be appreciated.
Atacrkn is offline   Reply With Quote