Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Nylint spec class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Nylint spec class

Who's up for this? 1/18th and 1/6th.

All stock, except: removal of stock parts like shock springs, rock sliders, etc.

Only allowable additions would be cosmetic: Paint or graphics, mabey batteries.

The other spec thread got me thinking about it.

I'd be up for it in a heartbeat. Very low cost and driver oriented.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2005, 02:30 PM   #2
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

I think it would be much more fun to drive and compete in with better electronics. Otherwise it will be a bunch of trucks flailing around on the rocks.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:46 PM   #3
RCC Addict

that would be awsome and badger the 1:6 are proportional but your idea would be good for the little ones
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
I think it would be much more fun to drive and compete in with better electronics. Otherwise it will be a bunch of trucks flailing around on the rocks.
Like which electronics? Esc. TX, Rx I can see, but if you mean ALL electronics, then it wouldn't be as much of a "spec" class.

My idea is to keep cost as low as possible, and to get more people involved.
Because it's so affordable stock, they wouldn't have to worry about competing against someone with unlimited funds.

They look pretty capable in PWT's vid.

BTW How many of us went out and bought the little Wally crawlers?
Old 08-03-2005, 04:11 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I thought they were going to do this already?

By they I mean "Nylint" or "Wally World" - Anyone heard any news on that part of these new crawlers? How about the upgrades they are supposed to come out with?
jeep_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:12 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

hay rock where do you crawl in so cal?
romeo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:55 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

here we go again.....
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:56 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

They are pretty capable, but require some skill to drive the non propo. 1/18 rigs. Its alot of on-off trigger fingering so that you're not just spinning the tires a ton.

The nylint/Wally world comps probably are a ways out. I imagine they need to see how many sales they've had, in order to see if building a trailer for the comps would be feasible, money wise.

The only way I see people being allowed to upgrade their electronics is if someone were to do a very detailed write up on getting their servo motor to work proportionally. Its a huge stinking motor, so its like taking the switch board out of a servo would work for it. It'd heat up way too quickly.

EDIT: Whats cool though is the fact these tires start to get stickier the more you drive the truck, so the more you practice, the better your truck will stick at the competitions.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 12:27 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

After driving the 1/18th last night, I'd say these definately could be used as spec class rigs. I'm probably going to go get the 1/6th tonight. If it's still there. From what I've read on here th 1/6th seems even better.

They're alot of fun for the price.

I told my 6 yr old daughter that the truck is hers, so we did a few mods to it. She prepped and painted the roll bar and stinger, then we took of the tonneau cover thing. At first she started to get upset and wanted it to stay totally stock. When we finished she thought it looked alot better.

kids
Old 08-09-2005, 08:48 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

ORCRC has already drawn up temporary plans for a spec 1/18 Nylint Crawler Class for our next comp. Here is what has been writen so far....

1/18 Nylint Crawler Class

1. Must run stock electronics, battery upgrades OK but must use stock battery mounting location, you'll be limited to AA sized pack.
2. Tires must be the stock Baja Claws, minor cutting allowed, see Jeff's(Snakeman) cut tire pics on RCC for limitations of cutting. He set the limit as to what can be cut.
3. Bodys must remain stock, no cutting allowed. New paint is OK.
4. Suspension - Must run run stock shocks and springs. You can run cut down springs... must have some springs left on the shock to stay legal. No springs = No comp for you :evil Suspension links must remain as they were out of the box.
5. Chassis - Must remain stock, no cutting or drilling for mods.
6. Crawler must be ran in "Low" gear through out course.

Basicly you have to run a box stock truck yet you can do minor tire trimming, a bit of spring cutting and you can change up the colors for fun.

Courses will contain 10 gates, each gate shall be no more than 2ft appart. Gate width must be between 10"-15". Fastest time wins.... after 10 minutes you will Time Out.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:50 PM   #11
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

sounds like a great set of rules for a spec class

i would stiffen up #1. what about lipo? how many nicad/nimh are legal?

also, what about adding weights.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:00 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
i would stiffen up #1. what about lipo? how many nicad/nimh are legal?
Not sure how many Lipo packs can fit into the 2.25"x2 1/8"x1 1/8" box for holding the batteries. The 6 AA's are a tight fit especially with a plug jammed in there too.

Basicly you'll have to run the 6 AA size batteries, be it NiCd or NiHm.

Quote:
also, what about adding weights.
I'd say no. Plus not sure how many would want to add weight anyways.

You'll have to run them stock except for upgraded batteries, new paint, lightly trimmed tires and cut springs. This will keep everyone at or very close to the same playing field.... then driver skill will come into play. The 1/18 rigs require looking ahead when driving since they operate as a on/off switch, have to drive carefully.

These would need to go through a simple tech inspection before competing at a comp. The tech inspection would only take 30 seconds to look over the truck to see if it meets all the requirements.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:07 PM   #13

the lipo would have to be the correct size to fit. i think 1800 mah cells would fit nicely, but i dont have any more to try and fit. you could squeeze four lipo cells in there for a 2s2p pack and get 7.4 volts with 3600 mah runtime. the drawback would be the lightness. it would raise the cg up (im still learning!) and cause it to tip more i would bet. it would be possible though with no mods.

also, deans plugs. everything i own is deans plugs. that would be a good exception to make.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:16 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
also, deans plugs. everything i own is deans plugs. that would be a good exception to make.

Yes, I figured that many people would swap plugs. I plan to swap on Deans this weekend prior to the Comp.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:15 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

For those interested... ORCRC's planning of our 1/18 Nylint Class rules are HERE
Old 08-10-2005, 11:08 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

No cutting of the body allowed but what about removing the windshield? Or the tonneau cover? Or the rock sliders?

Mine are gone as you can see in this crappy vid
Old 08-10-2005, 11:43 AM   #17
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
the lipo would have to be the correct size to fit. i think 1800 mah cells would fit nicely, but i dont have any more to try and fit. you could squeeze four lipo cells in there for a 2s2p pack and get 7.4 volts with 3600 mah runtime. the drawback would be the lightness. it would raise the cg up (im still learning!) and cause it to tip more i would bet. it would be possible though with no mods.

I think lipo's are way over kill. My rig runs forever on the 2000 Mah AA pack I made.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:06 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

With the no cutting of the body, does that take into account damage to the body if somebody rolled it? You could easily brake part of the roll bar on a roll.
egdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:20 PM   #19

how would lipo be overkill if i am lazy and i already have a few packs laying around? i charge once, run for a couple of days, charge again.

i dont know why im even bothering, its not like i compete at all.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:44 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Default Competition

1. ScorpionCars.com is in process of building the trailers for competition. This is not a Nylint gig, but being done by us Scorpion folks. Have no idea when the will be running and will keep everyone posted.

2. Nylint is unlikely to provide any significant upgrades to the vehicle. They are focused on continued engineering and filling the supply chain. That is up to YOU! ScorpionCars.com is considering some upgrades, as we will have access to stock parts from Nylint.

3. If the tires are stock, who cares how much is cut? Cut too much and it is a DISadvantage.

4. Would weight be a factor? What if someone slipped some lead in the axles? That would not be visible, but on the bottom COULD be an advantage.
slashsplat is offline   Reply With Quote