Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Help me find a new crawler!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 10:07 PM   #1

Default Help me find a new crawler!

I know that most of you are thinking how the **** should I know what he wants but to be houst with you, I dont know what I want either .. I know it comes as a shock but I have not one clue as too what I'm looking for. Ever time I think I've found the truck for me bam! another truck I like or a horrifying review comes along.. Needless to say I've been reading pages upon pages on crawlers and my brain is so overloaded with contradicting information its crazy. Well rant off.

Anywho This is my first crawler truck and I more or less want Somthing that is durable, not crazy expensive, and is decently capable. I dont mind doing minor mods to improve but by no means do I want to build a custom rig...yet.

So if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreacted!

Thanks.
Staggered is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

are you looking to scale the face of the earth, or are you looking to meet up with some buddies at the trail head and make a few runs ?

axial and you cant go wrong.
parts are easy to get, and they can be used as donors to build whatever you decide is your style.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
are you looking to scale the face of the earth, or are you looking to meet up with some buddies at the trail head and make a few runs ?

axial and you cant go wrong.
parts are easy to get, and they can be used as donors to build whatever you decide is your style.
More or less just want to play at the cottage.

Was looking at this one but read on a forum that there suspion linkages are quite weak? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXTZW2**&P=7

Thanks for the help
Old 10-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Hi
I am currently building an Axial Scorpion, and I like it. High quality materials, screws pleasantly fit their holes ( maybe I am a sissy, but it takes considerably longer to get sore fingertips than with other models),..., and I hope it will be a capable crawler.
Feels good building it (I take my time building stuff).

However, there are several Versions for the Scorpion on the market (with price-differences).

- RTR
- ARTR
- as Kit

I own the kit-version.

mfg.
tomancik
tomancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomancik View Post
Hi
I am currently building an Axial Scorpion, and I like it. High quality materials, screws pleasantly fit their holes ( maybe I am a sissy, but it takes considerably longer to get sore fingertips than with other models),..., and I hope it will be a capable crawler.
Feels good building it (I take my time building stuff).

However, there are several Versions for the Scorpion on the market (with price-differences).

- RTR
- ARTR
- as Kit

I own the kit-version.

mfg.
tomancik
Thanks!, I was looking at the Scorpion but having to build all the wiring and servos scared me away, as I'm dumb as a stump when it comes to rc stuff and thats why I'd prefer a RTR truck for my first one..
Old 10-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #6

Staggered I'm new to this part of the RC sport too, but one thing I've found out over the years is that as long as you start with a decent base you can always upgrade a little at a time latter.

From all the research I've done the AX10 is a good base. If the only problem you see is the links don't worry there are many, many replacement links you can get for those. Get it, run it and when you break a link (or should I say if) then get new better ones and at that point you could even get longer ones if you wanted.
mudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
RCC Addict

my suggestion is the ax10 rtr
imho its a great way to get a chance to get a taste of crawling.

from the rtr you can always make your decision on wether you want to build a scale, comp, or rock racer.

when u finally decide which there is a wealth of knowlege about each style of crawler

your next purchas would probabbly be a chassis to fit your decision

eventually you're gonna go insane like a big percentage of the people on this forum and go all out and end up building a custom rig. remember rc crawling is the equivilent to crystal meth in the r/c world.

comparing ice and crawling

you'll lose sleep
all your money will suddenly disappear
your heart rate is gonna go up even though your driving soo slow
will eventually develop obsessive cumpulsive disorder

but hey at least its legal
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXt559 View Post
my suggestion is the ax10 rtr
imho its a great way to get a chance to get a taste of crawling.

from the rtr you can always make your decision on wether you want to build a scale, comp, or rock racer.

when u finally decide which there is a wealth of knowlege about each style of crawler

your next purchas would probabbly be a chassis to fit your decision

eventually you're gonna go insane like a big percentage of the people on this forum and go all out and end up building a custom rig. remember rc crawling is the equivilent to crystal meth in the r/c world.

comparing ice and crawling

you'll lose sleep
all your money will suddenly disappear
your heart rate is gonna go up even though your driving soo slow
will eventually develop obsessive cumpulsive disorder

but hey at least its legal
x2 but when you order it get bent links and rod ends too. The stock ones bend and cause axle steer.
lucky13offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:58 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I would go with the AX-10, as I've owned both a wheely king and an ax-10. Then you have to decide how much you want to spend. I actually have an AX-10 for sale right now as I am getting out of the hobby, you can PM me for more info if you are interested. (if this is against the rules, please feel free to remove it)

Whatever you decide, you can always upgrade later but you will be happy with whatever you chose, this hobby is a blast.
WK Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggered View Post
Thanks!, I was looking at the Scorpion but having to build all the wiring and servos scared me away, as I'm dumb as a stump when it comes to rc stuff and thats why I'd prefer a RTR truck for my first one..
Scorpion I think by far is the best first crawler, capable and lots of support. RTR will work just modifiy as you learn
radicalray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #11

Just bought my son the AX10 ARTR. He loves it. Mine is next
Larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Losi MRC....
out of the box its fun
nothing else needed
plenty of people are finding new ways to mod things every day,but my wife has a blast with the MRC.

plus its small enough to crawl around the house when its raining outside
Ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:15 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

to the OP, if your Serious about this hobby the get any RTR that is listen on this site, the axial is a good option. but remember, things do break and things do need to be replaced, in a hobby grade RC. shocks, servos, wheels/rims, axles, motor/transmmision & the body.

if that last line discourages you, then dont waste your time, and go to toysRus. BUT if your not afraid of a challenge and want to have a blast, nothing is more fun than a hobby grade RC.

Pick Your Poison
BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
RCC Addict

What about the tamiya cr01,a good fun truck,but you will have to build it.
But building a kit is part of the enjoyment of our sport,plus it helps you get to know how your truck works,and how to fix it.
The electronics are mostly plug in,you can search the relevent page on your relevent crawler ,and building isnt that hard.
The ax10 is a good chioce also ,it depends what you want.
I have a cr01 and love it,i dont have an ax10 yet,but will be my next buy.
My "comp" truck is a 2.2 clod,just to be different,all the other comp crawlers in NZ are ax10s,but they are good.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote