Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: HSP what are they like

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 01:47 AM   #1

Default HSP what are they like

Hey another Newbie and i cant search for this as there is no search (for me anyway) can anyone tell me what the HSP 1/8 crawler is like i am looking at one for my first crawler

thanks

Tiny
tinyjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
RCC Addict

looks like a 1/8 clod based tvp style chassis
the 1/8 size is going to make it a super class crawler

for a begginer id suggest sticking w/ the 2.2 class crawlers or the mini's
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

looking at the pics I found of it I would say its the same as REDCAT racing is packaging for their base model truck. If it is the same I would say its a decent design, basically a takeoff on the clod design. At this point there are no hopeups and limited parts availability which will hamper you if you break. The general design seemed promising however the shocks mounted on the links is a bad design. Also it has extensive use of plastic which always makes me shy away. As for good for a beginner, sure why not. Every Joe Smoe has an axial and enoug is enough. Super class trucks can be a blast if you have the terrain.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Looks like a good truck to me, I say by one had help simulate the super class. Everyone needs a super .
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
The general design seemed promising however the shocks mounted on the links is a bad design.
And why is that a bad design? Many of the top supers use that design. Do you mean it was a poor execution of the concept?

It appears to be a decent package but at this point without many people getting to beat on it yet the weak points have not began to show.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

It goes up stairs well http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p6JkWpENhvk&NR=1. That's as good a reason as any to buy one .
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

[quote=Harley0706;1399820]And why is that a bad design? Many of the top supers use that design. Do you mean it was a poor execution of the concept?

quote]

Its the execution of it. I used to run shocks on the links on my super and it worked ok. In this case they are trying to use too short of a shock and performance will suffer.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:46 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

i have a 1/10 scale and i think its pretty good
crawler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: HSP what are they like

I have the T2 version (the orange one), also 1/8th. Don't buy the Green (T1) version, as it has a bunch of tranny/axle problems. the T2 should be the same price, with metal gears, more aluminum and less problems. The T2 comes with rear steer and a pre-mixed 3ch radio. I love mine! only thing ive broken was a pin holding the hub to the axle, which i replaced with a small wood screw. I've removed the upper deck and relocated everything to the bottom, added a custom skidplate, removed the front/rear bumpers, limited the 90*+ of articulation to around 75*-80*, added a half pound to the front axle, starcut foams, modded tires, etc. It's a beast, takes anything i can throw at it. A great starter truck for sure! cant go wrong at that price, i ended up paying 300$CAD flat, with a year warranty on the electronics.

If you pick one up, replace the stock motors asap, they are just way too underpowered. It should come with 9kg servos, which could use a little more juice. go git it!
jp0160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:19 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: HSP what are they like

My bro and I both bought these before we go into the crawling scene. We both blew alot of money setting them up then realised the aftermarket is lacking and they dont get a run at the local comps.
We both then bought 2.2s and have had a blast comping and are now getting into minis.
The 1/8 is alot of fun as a basher but dont spend to much on it beforechecking out what others are running.
Saying that they didnt break and were alot of fun but they never got run after we saw how much more capable better known crawlers are.
Hope that kinda helps?
Nik
Nik6189 is offline   Reply With Quote