Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Can the Berg be beat by a Shafty ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Can the Berg be beat by a Shafty ?

Hey guys ,I have a question here ,

I want to know if anyone is driving a shafty and consistently beating a Berg based rig .

I have a pretty good 2.2 course setup in my garage that we comp on all the time .
We have a mix of mostly AX-10 based rigs ,I for example run a GC-2 on AX-10 axles .

I usually do pretty good with my rig but latley we have had a couple of Bergs on course and the one in particular has a very good driver and a very capable Bergs on Slingshot setup.

So Can he be beat with the right shafty setup or do I have to build a Berg ?
Crawler Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

My series finals is this sat. I've been running a Berg and will be running a shafty at finals. I will probably beat the bergs. I will let you now.
carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Cummins View Post
I usually do pretty good with my rig but latley we have had a couple of Bergs on course and the one in particular has a very good driver and a very capable Bergs on Slingshot setup.

So Can he be beat with the right shafty setup or do I have to build a Berg ?
A great driver with a shafty is going to beat a good driver with a Berg any day of the week.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

x2, I'm with you
carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

At the end of the day a great drive can make a bad truck look good and a terrible drive and make a great truck look bad. It's pretty much down to the driver.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Imo its all about the driver knowing here rig, like said before a great shafty driver will beat a good burg driver and visa versa, its all about knowing your rig and what it can and cant do, change the course up alittle and see what happens?
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
RCC Addict

There were two shafties in the 2008 Top five 2.2s (one TLT and one AX10), they had to beat plenty of Bergs to get there.

I like my Berg, but having a Berg does not mean you will win against a shafty, its still the better driver that wins.
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
Y-Town Crawlers

Oh yeah...

There's some stuff that the berg did better, and you can't beat having an electronic dig... but when it comes down to it, I'm still driving a shafty
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:03 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Here's the results from yesterday's colorado comp

1) Rubbaneck (axial)
2) Almighty Malachi (axial)
3) Jason (berg)
4) Slowrockr (berg)
5) Rathgar (berg)

The rig used is from memory, don't take that as absolute fact, but I'm dead sure about the top 3. As stated above, a great driver with a shafty will always beat a good driver with a MOA. As a side note, this comp site favored the losi tires over the panthers too, Rubba took top honors in all three classes on losi tires.

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 10-27-2008 at 07:15 PM.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #10
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
Here's the results from yesterday's colorado comp

1) Rubbaneck (axial)
2) Almighty Malachi (axial)
3) Jason (berg)
4) Slowrockr (axial)
5) Rathgar (berg)

The rig used is from memory, don't take that as absolute fact, but I'm dead sure about the top 3. As stated above, a great driver with a shafty will always beat a good driver with a MOA. As a side note, this comp site favored the losi tires over the panthers too, Rubba took top honors in all three classes on losi tires.
Slowrockr is a Berg.

Any given Sunday anything can happen, shafties are not going anywhere.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:08 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Shafty will beat a berg anyday if you put gates on a course. I beat a berg driven by a great driver quite a bit with my shafty. The berg is a great rig but once you put it on a course with 16 inch wide gates and tight turns its done.
rc4x4crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4x4crawler View Post
The berg is a great rig but once you put it on a course with 16 inch wide gates and tight turns its done.
My berg sits at 10.25" wide with tires, which is narrower than many local axials, so if you're talking about width, I think you may be getting your information from the wrong source I'm also quite happy with the steering angle. It really does come down to the driver IMHO.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #13
no talent hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by carver View Post
My series finals is this sat. I've been running a Berg and will be running a shafty at finals. I will probably beat the bergs. I will let you now.

i got a $100 that says you wont
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
My berg sits at 10.25" wide with tires, which is narrower than many local axials, so if you're talking about width, I think you may be getting your information from the wrong source I'm also quite happy with the steering angle. It really does come down to the driver IMHO.

My axial has a 10 in. track width and turns 42 degrees with axial cvds. I know the berg does not turn that sharp.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

its all about the driving , i think bergs helped me drive better, but great a great driver can drive anything, our points leader runs a shafty and he kills it
tat2INDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4x4crawler View Post
My axial has a 10 in. track width and turns 42 degrees with axial cvds. I know the berg does not turn that sharp.
A berg does not need to turn that sharp. The front and rear instant dig pretty much negates any steering issues. With the proper offset wheels, the width is also a non issue.

For me personally, the berg has made me a better driver for one simple fact...I can't break it. This has given me the opportunity to drive harder and more aggressively than I ever could with a shafty.

And another reason for owning one...Over the past 4 years, the cost of ownership for my berg has been the least expensive rig for me to own (cause I can't break it).

So, just like everyone else already said, it comes down to the driver.
But having a Berg doesn't really hurt you.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

ORCRC comp yesterday.

1. H3RESQ (Axial)
2. Grover (Berg)
3. RBGerrish (custom worm drive...you all have seen them)
4. Miniwheeler (TLT)
5. War Pig (TLT)

There was at least one other set of Bergs there, but I think driving wins most times.....
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN View Post
A berg does not need to turn that sharp. The front and rear instant dig pretty much negates any steering issues. With the proper offset wheels, the width is also a non issue.

For me personally, the berg has made me a better driver for one simple fact...I can't break it. This has given me the opportunity to drive harder and more aggressively than I ever could with a shafty.

And another reason for owning one...Over the past 4 years, the cost of ownership for my berg has been the least expensive rig for me to own (cause I can't break it).

So, just like everyone else already said, it comes down to the driver.
But having a Berg doesn't really hurt you.
Having the rear dig isn't going to always help you with a turning as sharp. Lets say for example at our Socalrcrc series opener there was a gate that was very tough for most of the rigs, shafty or not. The gate was a very steep side hill that turned up and the gates were angled so that you could only turn and go up because the climb was too steep. If a berg used rear dig to line up with the gate more it would have still not been able to make the climb. My shafty was able to just turn up the side hill and go through the gate because it turned sharper. Little things like these can make or break the win at a comp.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Driver and set-ups being equal I put my $ on the Berg. I drive neither...
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #20
Keep it real

My Berg works better than any other rig I've ever had(and I've built more than I can remember). I can keep up with my shafty's, but I have to drive harder to do it, and then there are just some things the Berg will do that my shafty's just will not do, no matter how hard I try. The lack of torquetwist, the perfect amount of stall, the super-low CG(more so on mine because I don't raise my motors up in the air like most, I actually lowered the front motor down) all contribute to the fact that my Berg is more capable than any of my shafty's.......so far.
I drive my shafty's all the time, and my practice truck doesn't even have dig, to force me to drive harder.

But on any given comp day, it's who drives better, harder, cleaner, etc, who is going to win, regardless of what kind of truck they drive.

Another thing to remember is not all shafty's are created equal, and not all bergs are created equal, chassis, link setup, shock setup, tires, weight........there are so many factors that come into play.

And shafty's definitely aren't going anywhere.

Last edited by Tanis; 10-27-2008 at 10:02 PM. Reason: merged
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote