Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: A little advice/point in the reight direction - Cantilever system

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default A little advice/point in the reight direction - Cantilever system

Take a look at this, it doesnt work too great like this whats the best way to do this, any pointers?

Thanks

Craig
craigrobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

what is the point of this suspension setup? (trying womething new, more articulation?)

most cantilever systems are used to put the shock absorber in a more beneficial position (lower CG, out of harms way, etc) and use a pushrod to connect the cantilever to the axle.
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Its for all of those reaons, trying somthing new, more articulation(there not great as stock, i could try longer shocks but this would be more cool) and fainlly i want to use later motors but they would touch the shock, the motors clear the links but touch the shocks, moving them into this position will allow me to fit them.

Thanks

Craig
Old 10-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

you have to many shocks on that you need to remove the bottem shock and install a rod. from what i have seen on most cantilever systems. to get a better idea take a look at a revo setup as that is how a cantilever system should look... hope that helps you.

interesting idea though. good luck with it
rc-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have seen many cantilever systems with push rod, just wanted to try this way instead for even more suspension travel i got the idea from the CEN minimadness... suspension on that is awsum!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

well go with it then like i said from what i have seen on older clod system and montertruck, real ones , they only used one shock.. i think the second one would not help but hender this system useless. the mine system, well minis never have had good suspension. i understand you want to try something different...lol i'm all for that.

if you get it to work for you thats great ...have fun

Last edited by rc-guy; 10-29-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Im not sure i would agee on the mini having bad suspension i had one for a while and i thought it was great, handeled well for its size. iv got the articulation there and the 2 shocks working it more just positioning at the moment and cantilever shape, the top shock keeps springing underistelf(does that make sence?) even if i didnt have the 1st shock i would still be getting this effect, whats a good wat to adjust and mount the top shock even if i decide on a pushrod set up?

Craig
Old 10-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

i think the asnwer in in the picture of the mini.. chance how the top shock is sitting have it more level... that might help also after looking at your lever i would try to make it more even, as in the top part that attackes the the shock is longer then the bottem. that might help... if that makes sence to you as it is hard to explan in works for me...
Old 10-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

the key to any cantilever system is in the cantilever itself. on your current setup it appears that the distance to each shock mount from the pivot of the cantilever is the same distance.

You could get just as much travel with a pushrod and a different leverage ratio.

maybe try adjusting the lengths for each shock "lever" till you find a combination that works better.
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Does the pivot point have any sort of bushing? It could be twisting and binding. Look into the Traxxas Revo cantilever blocks.

You can get more travel out of one shock by how the cantilever blocks are set up. Look at the Revo, it's shocks only have a stroke of about 3/4 of an inch. Just got to play with mount points.
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

agreed, ditch the second shock in favor of a pushrod, then play with leverage ratios until you are happy with it. if you're the numbers type, measure the distance from the shock mount on the rocker to the pivot, then the pushrod mount to the pivot. divide the distance from the pushrod to the pivot by the distance from the shock mount to the pivot to get the leverage ratio for that rocker arm. to find out how much the shock will move for a given amount of wheel movement, divide (I think anyway...) the amount of wheel movement by the leverage ratio. to find out how much total suspension travel you will have (full droop to full compression) for a given shock stroke, multiply the shock stroke by the leverage ratio of the rocker arm, and you have the total suspension travel for the rig.
if you aren't the numbers type, just start trying stuff to see what works best for ya
Slyp Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the replys guys will help alot

Craig
Old 11-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Cantilevers were cool in 2003....
Attached Images

toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:56 PM   #14
MODERHATER™

Pretty cool in '07 when they won super class at Nationals too.....

666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Just shows that every 4 years they work
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote