Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Questions about building & selling custom crawling kits, parts, & accessories...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question Questions about building & selling custom crawling kits, parts, & accessories...

Ok, this could potentially be a forever-long post, so I will try to compress it as much as possible...

I have a few (and am buying more) milling machines (drill-press, end-mill, metal-brake, small lathe), and have access to the best CNC and milling machines available (Alan Johnson, owner of Johnson's Hot-Rod Shop, and 7-time Hot-Rod builder of the year, is one of my best friends)...and I am going to start fabricating my own custom parts for all of my various R/C interests. Since I am now getting deep into R/C rock-crawling, and am going to fab my own custom parts (chassis, links, skid-plates, various mounts, etc.), I thought it would be really cool to offer all of the parts I make to the general public, maybe even offer a full crawling kit/conversion. One of my questions is, do you guys think I would be able to stay afloat doing it? What I mean is, would I be able to at least break even, and not lose any money? Is there enough demand for custom crawling parts, or is the market already flooded with quality manufacturers, so much so that I would have to offer my parts so cheap that I would end up wasting my time and losing money? I know it's difficult to compete with the large companies who are offering cheap, mass-produced parts, but I am hoping the originality and quality of my parts will result in demand for my products. Now, just to let everyone know, I am not wanting to make a living out of this...I already own and run my own business. I just want to make parts for fun, for myself, for my friends...and for anyone who might want them as well, and maybe make a few extra bucks doing it.

A little background on me; I have two Associate's Degrees, one in Civil Engineering, and one in Mechanical Engineering. They are both part of my Architectural Engineering background. I was trained mostly in the design aspect of engineering, so I have that on my side when designing the custom parts. I also have quite a bit of CAD training (Auto-CAD, SolidWorks, etc.), so that should also help me out quite a bit. I am doing a lot of research on operating CNC machines, and writing the instruction codes for each particular operation (I write software/applications, too), and I will be getting some crash-courses on each milling machine at the shop by the people who run them. With all of this, I hope to be able to create some very nice parts.

Anyway, any help you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Chadworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
RCC Addict

cant realy awnser your question , but it wouldent hurt to have another person making those cool custom parts
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I think rc crawling is just getting bigger, with new companys getting involved. There is just so much out there. I think instead of having digs on the trans, it would be cool to have like detroit lockers in the axles, that you can lock and unlock. In the front and rear plus it would bring the COG down where it needs to be.
rockassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadworkz View Post
I will be getting some crash-courses on each milling machine at the shop by the people who run them.
LOL I hope not... wish my shop would let me loose, but have to keep production parts flowing... I could mill some pretty trick carbon fibre stuff... Waiting for our 4 new machines to get here 4000ipm milling speeds, 4 second tool changes, so fast
megacabcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Read the forum rules, at the top in green. Pay close attention to the vendor section.

Make the good parts, and people will buy them. Look around and see what is out there already.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I lost a ton of money on my chassis' then I hit on a product that no-one else made and everyone wanted and have finally broken even.

Step #1 do allot of research, check the vendor section and see whats out there (tip: unless its DANG good, dont bother with a tvp chassis).

Step #2 Once you determine a product do more research and make sure there is demand for it. Dont post up feelers, and dont show your hand too early.

Step #3 BUY A VENDOR STAR

Step #4 Testers... 2-3 more is better, make sure they are well respected people in a variety of locations. I like asking club pres for recommendations, doesnt always work but most times they will give you a good person.

Step #5 Post up a vendor thread and a giveaway thread at the same time... Never under estimate the power of a giveaway. Close to 80% of the people that signed up for my last giveaway bought a product.

Step #5 Be well respected yourself, this means good customer service and shipping proptly. You will get a ton of PM's with questions you may think are dumb, remember that you engineered the product they didnt, you know exactly how it is supposed to fit/work, they may not.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:36 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

WOW! Thank you guys so very much! I didn't expect all the excellent in-depth information you guys provided, and you don't know how much I appreciate it! I am going to read the rules now...

Also, if this is considered a feeler thread, I am very sorry...and I don't mind it being deleted if it needs to be. Thanks again for all the help!

4,000 inches-per-minute? HOLY CRAP!!! That's blazing-fast!!!

Last edited by Chadworkz; 11-06-2008 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Update after reading forum rules.
Chadworkz is offline   Reply With Quote