Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: XTM crawler/ what do I do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 07:07 AM   #1

Default XTM crawler/ what do I do?

What do I do??? I was going to order one to use as a back yard basher and at local comps for bragging right. I have been reading all kinds of problems people are having with the axles. They seem to be weak. Is it that they can't handle the mods. being made or is it an indication that the axles are crap and I should buy something else? I am thinking about going with a stealth instead.
Froger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I thought they were all aluminum ? what mods are you talking about ?
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
MODERHATER™

Buy some clod axles and build from there.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Buy some clod axles and build from there.
What he said.

The XTM crawler looks really good but it's still unproven and I wouldn't recommend it to a crawling newb.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #5

Default word of advice

as a not so proud owner of an xtm x crawler here, i wouldn't recomend it for a first time crawler, however every crawler or axles have problems, the x being no diferent has them too.
so far the only problem i have is the axles shafts being weak at the ends where the pins go, wich are also a pain in the rear to remove in order to clock the axles.
now lets also understand that this kit is very new in the market so aftermarket support isn't avaliable yet (might never be).
however i have called globalhobby and they are sending out axle shafts for free to the people that broke'em (like me) still dont know if they are a new version or the same ones(didnt get mines yet)
if i had to leave a feedback for this kit it will be neutral as i wasn't able to enjoy its full potential.
i mught even consider using it as a 2.2 just to stand out, or i might even wanna sell it.
....and thats how the cookie crumbles......
rusty_rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i looked at the xtm, but i got a clod hustler instead, since i know the clod axles are proven.
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:25 PM   #7

The stock axle shafts are very weak at the ends. Broke our test rig in the first 2 minutes up front. XTM is aware of the issue and have an updated version. We were lucky enough to get a replacement out of the first shipment. MUCH much better. Still not the strongest looking--but they made them this way for better steering. Put the replacement shaft back in the broken front end and put through some serious tests. It held. We even were able to power the sets of wheels in oppisite directions with out any further breakage. Towards the end of the day we finally did break the rear axle, but only under extreme stress. XTM has another one enroute.

We have liked it so far. It was a brand new ground up build for XTM and I think they did ok. They are aware of the weak axles and doing their best to get out the new ones to everybody. The only draw back that we have seen thus far is the lack of aftermarket support--but it is way to new and we knew that. I would also upgrade the tires for serious use.
cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I would stay away from XTM.
You can only get parts from a Global Hobby vendor (Hobby People) and even then, they normally don't sotck a whole lot of them. I did look at it, it looks stout, a little too long, but that can be fixed. It is an incredible value, but I like parts support.
justadork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:29 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I knock on wood have no issues yet i will be ordering the axle shafrs its not my everyday driver but its fun to drive.Again i had several issues with all rc cars that needed updates out of the box. I like mine
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:29 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Go with GMADE stealth with brushless motors!
dirtworkshw is offline   Reply With Quote