Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Sealing a Carbon Chasis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question Sealing a Carbon Chasis

What do you guys suggest using to seal and protect the edges on an Xtreme carbon chassis? I've thought about using Shoe Goo or just CA tire glue.

Have any of you used CA tire glue for the job and if so how do you keep it from running down the sides of the chassis? I would like to keep it nice and clean until I get it out on the rocks to try it out
Cycleeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
K_B
I wanna be Dave

When I glue my touring car chassis, I just hold the chassis plate vertical and put a couple drops on the edge near the top and let gravity do the rest and just work my way down. Some guys take it a step further and wet sand it first with super fine grit paper and wet sand between glue coats. It works out to a super smooth glass-like finish. Which would be all for not with a crawler

I usually just use medium CA glue... you can also use some CA "kicker" to cure it on the spot to keep it from running.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
When I glue my touring car chassis, I just hold the chassis plate vertical and put a couple drops on the edge near the top and let gravity do the rest and just work my way down. Some guys take it a step further and wet sand it first with super fine grit paper and wet sand between glue coats. It works out to a super smooth glass-like finish. Which would be all for not with a crawler

I usually just use medium CA glue... you can also use some CA "kicker" to cure it on the spot to keep it from running.
X2
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:43 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post

xxx666! my tc5s needed to be sealed and CA works. EVEN CRAZY GLUE
Jones323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

If you're using thicker CA glue and it won't roll down your chassis, try taking a q-tip, rip all the cotton off and swiping the edge of the chassis with CA glue. Just be sure to wash the chassis with soap before hand. Oil from your hands will turn the glue white
naggalowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I've been running CF chassis off and on for years, and have never had a reason to seal it. Water and mud have no effect on it. I guess it would depend on the type of CF your using. Everything I've used is NHRA Drag Racing approved CF. That might be why I've never had to seal it.

If I were to seal it, however, I'd use some thin CA. It would penetrate faster, and not have the chance to run over.
silvr_tung_devl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I just ran a bead of CA glue on the edge of the CF so it doesnt split with time.
Sh0-goo is good for like holding on e-clips.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote