Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Hot Racing AX10 axle gearing/motor combo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Hot Racing AX10 axle gearing/motor combo?

Hi guys, I have some Hot Racing AX10 axles ordered and I was wondering what kind of gearing everyone runs, and with what motors. I will probably stick to brushed motors, since space is tight for two brushless speed controllers on the chassis. I'm thinking about some Novak 55s, or maybe some 55T lathe motors, but there seem to be more 48 pitch pinion options available. I will probably run an 8 cell NiMh pack. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Hmm, nobody can offer any advice?
Old 12-26-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

are these axles more like clod axles w/ teh motor on them? if not why would u need 2 speed contorlers? if so, maybe ask in the clod fourms. im kind of confused, the only ax-10 replacement axles iv seen are new case's and such..... but iv seen lots of "poa" power on axle type setups that are a updated style clod set up. there nto much like a ax-10 being there are no drive shafts and such.
carzlutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

These are similar to Berg axles, in design, which are pretty much mini versions of Clodbuster axles. The motors are mounted to the gearcases. Hot Racing says they are direct drop in replacements. You would only need 2 speed controllers if you ran a brushless system, or if you prefered to run brushed motors, with independent throttle control for each axle.

If I knew what the final drive ratio of these axles were, I could probably figure out a good place to start with motor pinions, but I don't have that info yet.

Edit - link to said axles. http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1192

Last edited by Espeefan; 12-26-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
20K Club

If you are a fan of a little wheel speed then run 2 35t handwound motors, with only and 8 cell battery I would suggest at least a 45t motors. I would also start with 14t pinions and see what you think.

If you are running a standard 3 channel radio you can do a regular microswitch dig. Do some reading in the Berg section. Almost everything in there applies to these axles since they are basically a knock off of them.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:44 PM   #6

Hey I'm running those same axles and I found if you don't run two esc's you run into the famed clod stall. what chassis are you running? The tekin RS series esc is tiny so you might be able to squeze them in. I also ran mine in parallel so they get the same voltage all the time and I mixed my third channel to add a little more power to the rear to help push over obstacles. Then I combined two 7.2v 1600mah packs in parallel to achieve 3200mah, now this thing will run for a long time. You may also want to "clock" the axles to rotate the motors up for more clearance, I'll do it to mine and post some pics soon.

By the way I'm running 16 tooth pinions with brushless motors, the axles seem to be geared lower than a stock axial setup, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by devilsdj; 12-26-2008 at 07:47 PM.
devilsdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Clod Stall is actually quite useful once you practice with it and understand how it works. In my HR axles i ran 14t pinions on both axles and tt5 Novak Crawler motors on 3s lipo through a CC Sidewinder. Good wheelspeed and slow crawling when you want it.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I run my HRs with 45t motors and 14t pinions. Good wheelspeed, and still plenty of torque.
Spucknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
20K Club

Running 2 ESC's will not "cure" clodstall either. It just makes it a little less noticeable.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the replies! I intend to run the axles on an HBZ Warthog chassis. I think the battery pack will go where the Axial trans would normally go, so either I'll be looking for some smaller ESCs, or just running a Super Rooster. I know a little about Clod stall. Ultimately, I'd like to mix two ESCs, like I have on my Super, but we'll see. I appreciate the advice. Thanks again.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #11
RCC Addict

i ran a mm with 3 s lipo and 45t motors with 12tpinion and it was an ideal mix of wheel speed and low end torque. just another idea to consider.
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:55 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I run mine with 40 turns 13 teeth in front 12 in rear with a sidewinder on a 3s and get tons of wheel speed and great torque. I would rather have the single speedo setup myself, once i got all my wiring the right lengths and the dig switches the drivability and control is great the only time i see stall is when i want or need it to stall
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:06 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
I run mine with 40 turns 13 teeth in front 12 in rear with a sidewinder on a 3s and get tons of wheel speed and great torque. I would rather have the single speedo setup myself, once i got all my wiring the right lengths and the dig switches the drivability and control is great the only time i see stall is when i want or need it to stall
How exactly does that work?!?!
bvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:24 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

a smaller pinion means more torque. giving the rear axle more torque and slightly lower wheel speed through a smaller pinion will decrease the amount of stall you get out of the rear axe.

personally i like the stall, if you learn to drive with it, it's actually an advantage at times. i run 45t motors on 3s lipo through a castle sidewinder and i love the speed it gives me but it still crawls slow as well.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Both myself & Ben Palmer (MSD) are using 45T lathe motors with a 12 tooth in the rear and a 13 tooth in front - plenty of wheel speed and with the front running a fuzz more wheel speed that the rear - great control
Yawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:44 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvek View Post
How exactly does that work?!?!
I works great! Like said above it drives the front a little faster which keeps the rear tires from wanting to traction flip you. Also running the smaller pinion in the rear (where most of the load is usually) makes it easier for the motor to pull thus reducing stall. When i climb steep inclines i can vary the throttle and get the rear tires to where they are hardly moving but the front are pulling fast and dragging me up. 68+ deg on carpet
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:16 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Hi fellas. I just thought I would check in and give my thanks again. The unfortunate thing is I didn't get any replies for 24 hours and so I went ahead and ordered some Novak 55 motors. I think, based on the opinions of gearing combinations, I will try starting off with a 16 tooth pinion and see where it leads with the 55T motors. If I need to, I guess I'll buy some 45T motors instead. Do you think 16 tooth pinions will help me gain back some wheel speed?
Old 12-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #18
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Sure it will, but you will sacrifice a good bit of torque to get it. Better off increasing your voltage to get the wheelspeed back, if your ESC will do it.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:31 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I believe the gear ratio is 40:1. With that said I am running 8cell 2/3a with 55t motors with 15t front & rear and the speed is plenty. I have to jog to keep up with it. The clod stall is great when you have driven enough to predict when it will occur. Some dont like it and use the 12/13 or 14/15 pinion combo as mentioned below.

A word of advice for axle/locker longevitity is to add some o-rings or fuel tubing inside the drive cups to keep the axle engaged in the locker at all times. There have been some failures for the early adopters who did not know they needed this trick. Also, clock your front axle and lock tight everything. Also get some better M3 hardware because the stuff that comes with the axles WILL roundround off when you try to back a screw out later on.
j33pownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Thanks John and j33. I guess it goes without saying that 16T pinions would give more wheel speed. What was more of a concern was would I loose to much torque, but that's not how I worded it. Ha! I do think I'll be running 8 cell 2/3A cells as well. Those Elite 1500mAhr. packs look pretty nice. I'm not a LiPo guy yet..... j33, what kind of run times are you getting?

Maybe I'll just try out the 55 motors with the 8 cells and 15T pinions first. I'll probably buy some 14T and 16T pinions as well. Open up some possibilities!