Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Replace Hr Lockers With Berg Lockers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Replace Hr Lockers With Berg Lockers

I just received a pair of Berg lockers from TCS today & replaced the stock aluminum HR lockers (which were getting very sloppy). They were suppose to be a direct fit - not quite true. But I now have zero slop in my axles, and the Berg lockers are steel, so they won't round out like the aluminum did. So, here's what I did to make them fit (sorry, no pic's - I got in a rush & forgot to take any)
The hole in the gear that the locker goes thru is just a fuzz to small, I took a small 1/2 round file & made it just a tiny bit bigger (probably 1-2/1000's) until the locker would fit snuggly (twice around the hole did it) then put in the 4 short screws (with locktite) and tighten - this will seat the locker in the gear. The next thing I found was the axle would not quite fit into the locker - take a small round file (1/8") and create a taper where the round stub on the axle goes & it will fit, tight but will fit. I had to tap them together with a small hammer. This is the best upgrade (next to MTheads lockouts) I have done to these axles - it is definetely worth the little work it takes to make them fit. To do both axles it took me about 30 min.

As usual TCS had the best price - here's a link to the part
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/EnRoute-B...7-p-16923.html
Yawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
MODERHATER™

Putting the steel gear against the aluminum gear is going to make them wear really fast in my experience.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Putting the steel gear against the aluminum gear is going to make them wear really fast in my experience.
He is not putting an aluminum gear against a steel gear. He replaced the aluminum locker for a steel locker. I did the same thing. I also put the Berg axle shafts on. I had to modified them to fit. Shortened them with the old dremel tool. Great upgrade.
WKKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
RCC Addict

if you dont use moded berg inner axles you will twist the hell out of those soft HR inners . that what mine did. put alu back in and no issues. (i didnt switch to berg inners) just thought id save you some headache.
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:51 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Are the berg axles a lot stronger then the HR ones. I need a new locker and was thinking about this upgrade
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
Are the berg axles a lot stronger then the HR ones. I need a new locker and was thinking about this upgrade
I can't see not changing them out. The Berg locker is much stronger and you won't have to worry about it. Remember to use locktite on the 4 screws that hold the gear onto the locker. You don't want them backing out.
WKKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote