Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Best Crawler for me..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Best Crawler for me..

Hey i have been giving this a bunch of thought and i want to buy a decent crawler and mod it out some. We'll see how long that lasts as it didnt last long with the truck. Anyway...what i want to do with it is mild rocks, running on trails and such, and probably going in alot of mud and water. I want to have some decent flex out of it but dont think i really need a ton of it. So im asking what would be a good truck for me to start a build up on?? I can find Clods for dairly cheap and they seem to be popluar and easy to upgrade. but since they are an older truck..is aftermarket support out there for them? i would rather buy a truck ready to run then build one up. dont think i could exactly tackle that one just yet. Unless it turns out to be easier then i think. So what would you guys suggest?!?!
GeoffSFAs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2004, 05:02 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Default Re: Best Crawler for me..

Clods are easy to get,easy to upgrade and do have aftermarket support. I myself though was wanting something new and more scale. I bought a Kyosho Twin Force. Out of the box,they do decent. With a few easy mods they can do relativitly well,the more extreme you go with mods the better it will get. With the Twin,you can mount the servo to the axle for better working and stronger steering set up. For wheel travel,modify the factory 2 link arm bushing and you will notice a pretty good amount of increased travel/flex. Gear it down a little and lock the axles for better traction and your good to go.

Thats just one option,there's a ton of ways you can go. The sky's the limit.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:11 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

i'd say go for the clod i have one the have no drive shafts so modding them is very easy you can build a chassis in like 3 hours couse you don't need to tanfer case goes and stuff like that i put my clod together when i was 12 years old so its not to hard
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 07:17 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

It's all up to how you want to use your rig.

Water and mud? Get a shafty, you'll have your motors up and out of harms way better and you can run one motor rather than two like a Clod.

Want equal power to F/R axles? Get shafted. Thanks to a center tranny you'll have equal power F/R.

Personally I'd go for a Twin Force. The axles are super tough. Nice truck to make modifications as you go, upgrade the 2-link to crawler prefered 4-link setup. Plus many more cool things that are soon to come out for the Twin.

Twin Force + Super Rooster + x1 High Torque servo(160-200oz.in) + 3 channel radio = great first crawler/basher.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:53 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I agree with these guys. I have a Twin Force and love it. I bought mine and added a radio and servos and speed controler. It is also modified quite a bit. I'm not sure if they make a ready to run version. It is a very durable truck and is capable of bieng built up to do different things.
Trac95ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:44 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Trac95ker I just watched a couple of vids on your truck that thing is bad a$$. I just bought a Twin Force I should get it tomorrow. What did it take to put the four link set up on your truck?
BigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:11 PM   #7

Hmm... i would go with either a Twin-Force or the TXT-1 if you want to go throught the mud. As for the Clod, it will do mud, but not too deep since the motors are on the axles. For after market mods for the clod there are literally thousands of upgrades out there, everything from high quality shocks to completely new chassis setups. Twin-Force is a nice truck though, it seems to have mega power so you could burn up the trails, and it crawls reasonably well out of the box.
Monster572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:46 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

thanks for the help guys. yo all bring up good point with the motor of the clod being on the axles...that would kinda suck..plus im pretty sure i would find a way to destroy those. I should also say i want a battery powered one, it would be nice if it was a 7.2 i think..the long skinny batterys that are 2x4 cells. I have a quick charger for those...takes only 15 min. it might do other batterys but im not sure.

On a side note, i found a SWEET place here in town to play around with one once i get one. its a rock bedded creek that doesnt have alot of water in it. There are lots of rocks and things to climb over/around. i think it would be a blast with a truck so now i reallyt need one. haha.

But im concerned about the motor...i want central mount, but is there a way i could box it in, to keep mud and water out of it?? but still get it air to cool down. i had that problem with the RS truck and the mototr getting water on it..it would stop running.
GeoffSFAs10 is offline   Reply With Quote