Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Killer T-case, what tranny ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Killer T-case, what tranny ?

I'm in the proces building a scale rig, based on the HL-Hilux.

Yesterday I got this awesome RC4WD Killer T-case in the mail but I was wondering wich tranny it's going to be connected to. I will not use the 3-speed that came with the kit.

This rig will be on the trails, woods, sand, mud. We have no rocks where I live.

Other components that I will use because I allready have them are: Integy 55T and Tekin Rebel 2.
Tranny's: R2 with 8T or 11T pinion ( 30.375/22.090 ratio), GD 600 (standard 2.5:1 ratio)

Before I start fabbing different mounts for either the R2 or the GD-600 can you guy's point me in the right direction ? The use of the GD could save some weight up front but I don't know if it's going to fast that way.
My knowledge of ratio's is poor and your answer could save me a lot of work ...

Please don't misunderstand, I do like to fab things. Allready did a dropped bed, home made dashboard and a midconsole

Thanks in advance.
mir4dor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
RCC Addict

the killer tcase is 1:1 correct me if im wrong guys, which means for every turn of the motor you get 1 turn of the output shafts. So a gd600 imho would be to low of a ratio for the killer tcase an r2 would work good thoe.

nice styrene work btw~!

- Tre
akguanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks.

I forgot to mention, yes the Killer T-case is a 1:1 ratio. So the GD-600 is slower than the R2 ?
Old 01-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
RCC Addict

No the r2 is "slower" then the GD-600

The r2 is variable output ratios depending on the size of pinion used. from 10:1 - 30:1

Ratios are like this: if you have a 10:1 ratio say A is 10 and B is 1 okay?
so that means for every A turns of your motor the output shafts from the tranny turn B amount of times.

understand?

so the GD-600 is 2.5:1
and the r2 is variable from 10-30:1

if your looking for a faster truck the GD-600/killer T-case might be a good combo and might do good in mud but i would use the r2 and a hot motor like 35t or even 27t if you really want it to be fast. and you would still have that low-end side for crawling trees/rocks you might find/etc.

This is as I understand ratios. if i am wrong PLEASE someone correct me.

Last edited by akguanja; 01-06-2009 at 03:37 PM.
akguanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for your explanation sofar akguanja. I just overlooked "low" with "slow" my bad. Sometimes the language barrier is killing me :-(

I am not aiming for a fast truck so I guess I'll stick with the R2 and playing with different pinion gears.
I'm on the search for 12T/32 pitch pinions and up to play arround once I've installed both T-case & tranny.

Thanks again
Old 01-06-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

here is what you might need.....http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=867
http://rc4wdstore.com/index.php?cPath=61 one of those.... your choice
and also you will need to fab a bracket.. for it to work.
you will also need this for connecting the drive shaft to the case.... http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=665 they should have a addaptor for the fitting so the reduction case and the shaft line up just right....
i was the one who did the engineering and drafting for this and any questions pm me and i will let you know.
thanks
scubadaveojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Not sure if you are doing a 1.9 or 2.2 but I used the disruptor in a build and am stuck for a gru also. The disruptor has 2.18:1 ratio and the killer has 1:1 ratio. I tried a 4:1 gru and a 45 t. The rig was way to fast for a crawler and did NOT have enough low end to be worthy. I am not very good on the ratios so I cannot advise a specific way to go but thought I would offer my exp. I went with a gru because I wanted to maintain the interior intack as much as possible. I just looked at the gru and it might not be a 4:1 as thought I was told was 4:1. Anyways I have blown 2 pinions with it due to not haveing the pinion set right(i think). The 2nd pinion must have been a better one because it tore up the gears inside the gru pretty good. Its now toast.
This now puts me in your shoes lol What to do next??? I have not actually seen the black gru but I think it has A plastic "case" with a plastic gear so unless ran into another form of gear reduction I dont think it would last???? I read somewhere and I could deffinately be wrong but I think an overall reduction of around 26:1 is more closer to a goal...Dont quote me. I have been searching for a transmission for a few days and have done alot of reading about gear reduction. I did a quick search and found a gru for a wheely king 1/12 scale?? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVLE9&P=7

Anyways if I learn anything more ill post it up here... havent found the ratio's page but its there...
Anyways good luck and crawl on...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Why not use the original 3 speed? If you use the R2 you can have some top end (wheel speed) and with the change of a pinion you can also have the torque depending on conditions. The killer t-case offers no reduction it is simply there to split the out put between the front axle and the rear axle.
BLUEJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote