Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Foam Frustration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Foam Frustration

I set in my shop last night 4 hours trying to figure out what is the best foam set up to start with for a set of HB Rover tires i just got, but all the foams i have seem to be to small due to the tire being so much taller than the other 2.2 tires i have been using. I have traction tech foams in the red and the Hydrid but both seem to be to small and they are big foams. I tried combo'en the reds with the hybrids and then i tried double'en up reds, even tried combo'en reds with losi's new mem's. any suggestions, 1 foam in these tires just doesn't seem to be enough. Is my approch all wrong. So I prey to the RC Rockcrawler Gods be kind and help a fella out.
Truggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

These are working real nice on my truck: http://www.tcscrawlers.com/All-Weath...h-p-16840.html
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
These are working real nice on my truck: http://www.tcscrawlers.com/All-Weath...h-p-16840.html
I have a set of those in my Panthers. are you using them with the Rovers and are you using just 1 in each tire. I think i need to put 2 per tire in the pantners, they seem really soft with just 1 per tire. But they don't freeze like Mems do
Old 01-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I run 1 foam per tire in White Rovers.

My rig is a BERG with 15.5 oz fronts and 7.4oz rears. The rest of my right isn't heavy all light, even lipo. This doesn't cause problems at all and has worked well.

I never understood more than 1 foam, for Panthers nothing works better than 1 Soft standard foam with a valley cut into the center as described by joesbruiser: Foams for Losi and Panthers
Old 01-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Proline has a 2 stage foam coming soon that is taller for these 5+ tires.
moabax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moabax View Post
Proline has a 2 stage foam coming soon that is taller for these 5+ tires.
On my HPI grabbers (even taller) I tried alot. I ended up running stock extra firm losi foams all the way around with a 1/2 inch layer of memory foam wrapped around the fronts. I run MOA so its a stall thing to keep them firmer in the back but it works well. Alot of the tall tires are soft so if they arent supported they pull under the truck on sidehills and you are going for a ride. Its also ok to have an air gap if the foams are firm enough.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I have a option that may work.
I made a set of custom 2.2 panther meatgrinder's a while back that measured 5.5 inches tall.
I used the Panther soft white(non mem) and by the time that you mounted the tire on the rim it filled the tire up fine.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I am running the NWT All-Weather Hybrid Reach foams. The height is good but the side wall support is too weak for my rig. I think I am going to cut some memory foams in half and put on either side of NWT's. I might have to make the memories a bit thinner if it makes them too wide.
Just my .02
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_744 View Post
I am running the NWT All-Weather Hybrid Reach foams. The height is good but the side wall support is too weak for my rig. I think I am going to cut some memory foams in half and put on either side of NWT's. I might have to make the memories a bit thinner if it makes them too wide.
Just my .02
Whats your rig weight?

Whats your wheel weights front/rear?
Old 01-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Front wheels are 14.5 oz (Double Phattys with 5 balls in each)
Rears wheels are 12.5 oz (Double Phattys no balls)

I dont know my rig weight but i am just running a SWX chassis, axial axles, no dig, and 3 cell lipo up front. The chassi isn't really that heavy when the wheels tires aren't on it.

It's mainly the rears that like to fold under on side hills but all four could use better side support.

Last edited by Szczerba; 01-27-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys keep it going. My wheels weigh 15 fronts and 12.5 rear.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:19 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Well since i constantly try to find cheaper ways to make things, i bought a memory foam pillow at big lots for $20 and i can do about 10 tires off of it. You can double them up with out going to big, and is just as soft as prolines memory foams, for much cheaper.
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #13

These are memory, so they might get stiff in the cold. But look like they will work great this summer. He makes a couple different sizes, and looking at the website they are whole, not cut like some others.
Right now I'm running cut down stock foams against the wheel with NWT all weathers on the outside of that. 2 foams per tire, you have to add a little piece to make it all fit. Works great here on the east coast with all the jagged rocks we have.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117593
thyroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I was going to recommend to same thing, as thyroads..... http://xtreme-rc-hobbies.net/store/index.php?cPath=65

But they will harden in cold weather !
toytech93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #15
tjb
Rock Crawler

I just set mine up using the NWTT reach mem foams with a 3/8" thick strip of foam on top of that and it fills them just about right

The strip foam is the same as the stock foams they come with, just in sheet form....
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I run 2.2 Hammer Memory foams with 5/8" regular foam inside the outer sidewall on my Chisels.

So far so good.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:31 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo View Post
I run 2.2 Hammer Memory foams with 5/8" regular foam inside the outer sidewall on my Chisels.

So far so good.
Yeah I took the stock ARTR memory foam that I never ran and stuffed into the Chisels. Feels great to me, there is a good bit of give then foam.
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I tried 2 memory foams in each HB and it was rotten. Way too stiff and no bite. The stock foam that comes with them is a good start if you wrap them in a quarter inch strip of regular soft foam (in a strip). They can be a little soft depending on your rocks. I think I have just found the perfect set up for mine.

It's the quarter inch of soft foam wrapped around a common brand of standard foam that seems to be popular in Panther tires (but not Panther Foam). It's stiffer than the stock HB foam, but still takes advantage of all the biting surfaces of the tire
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I went back and mounted the HB's with the NWT Hybrid mem's and after let'en them set over night without the outer beedlock ring attached they seem to be quite a bit better. So i put the outer ring on and the tires seem to be pretty full, but not stiff. They wrenkle really nice but not to much. I'll try them out and let yall know what i find out, but they feel real good right now.

Last edited by Truggies; 01-28-2009 at 09:52 PM.